Phantom: Antique Noctua

Updates:

1. Red cables will be used, not orange. Just to stick with the theme. 
  2. I can mount 1 120mm fan in the front at the bottom. There are spacings made for those fans, just not included on the site. I will have to make a fan holder from aluminium wich will be in black. I might mod the door to get better airflow, but it's plastic.. and that's risky to mess with that. 
  3. Raw higher quality pictures (excuse the mess lol) off the Phantom pre-mods uploaded: Here
  4. Paint pro Joey did some work and made the idea's in paint: Here (Im sorry about the texts, the pictures were very hugely sized so I downsized them a fair bit. But I just put the standard text about, 'replacing this, placing fan here, painting this, ..etc so if you can't read it, you probably know what I want to do anyway)
  5. After a little chat with my Color God @Snef I decided to sleeve my own cables. I hope they will look nice and clean. Will be fun to learn this and will have to watch some guides. He won me over after he showed me the color cables that he suggested to use and I was pretty much sold after I saw them: Here they are:
Sleeve_SMALL___C_4d8cd5c9c1e5e_zpse303ecSleeve_SATA___CO_4d8cd7089c529_zps5ab46aSleeve_SMALL___V_4e246044d42df_zps32dd81  Found paint, will paint and update the pictures here when there isn't to much wind. Getting the mesh out! Spraying the mesh with first paint! New paint! Much better colors! Aswell as fans mounted. My noctua lamp and a few more pictures off the noctua beige mesh. Painted the PCI mesh brackets! Painted Noctua NH-D14. Unboxing Sapphire R9-280x & Corsair RM850. Installing the Sapphire R9-280x & Corsair RM850. Unboxing EVGA 780 Dual Classified & Soldering Iron! Sennheiser HD598 with NF-F12. LEDs! Fan controller & Power/HDD Leds. Finished LEDs! Painting the thermal armor. EVGA 780 Classified backplate. MDPC, Azerty & Random stuffs! Plexiglass & Cutting the case!

Hello! 

First things first, this will be my very first mod. So any tips or things to pay attention for a very welcome! 

I am going to transform my black Phantom into a brown and red (or orange?) themed case, yes Noctua fans will be used.

A build that inspired me was the Project Tomb Raider.

To do list:

• Paint the mesh 
  • Change the blue LED's to yellow 
  • Cable extensions
  • Replace all fans with Noctua's 
  • Replace the Mugen for an Noctua. 
  • Paint the blue RAM heatsinks. Paint the EVGA 780. 
  • Paint the blue heatsinks on the motherboard brown. Paint the Sabertooth Thermal Armor. 
  • Change the red LEDs in the case to white. ~ 
  • Maybe change the fan off the PSU.
  • Clean the case. 

Idea's that I might consider:

• PSU Cover, will have to look how clean I can get the cables. 
  • Cutting the front door to get better air intake for the fan. And to show the noctua's. 

Buying:

• Noctua fans: 2x NF-F12, 1x NF-S12A, NF-A15. 
  • 1 NZXT 200mm fan, apperently other fans won't fit there. And sadly noctua does not make 200mm fans. Found a fan adapter for 200mm -> 140mm so I will use that to mount a 140mm noctua fan as exhaust in the top. 
  • Lots off Bitfenix cables. Red or Orange? Will buy costum made sleeved cables. Check update #5 for the 2 colors. 
  • NZXT Frontpanel cables, Bitfenix USB extension. 
  • Single rad AIO CPU Cooler. Was thinking to get the Antec Kuhler H20 620. I maybe get the Corsair H60 if budget allows. Corsair H80i.
  • Bitfenix LED white strip. 
  • Paint. 
  • Alluminium bracket for fan. 

For the fans im still thinking. How to place it, the case has only space for 1 140MM front fan, wich I will have to look in to see if I can place the NF-F12 there. Aswell I found a video off a guy who modded his cage to get 2x120mm fans at the front. He used a fan cage and place a fan at the drive bay cages. He sadly doesn't show to much how he did the bottom fan. But he does say that the air is getting pushed upwards. Because off the HDD cages there that block it. I do not know how much this will be the case with the NF-F12 tho. So anyone able to give me some points here to look at? 
Aswell I could just opt to place 2 NF-F12s on the side window and just be done with it? I just don't know how well this will cool the case and how silent it will be, because the air gets pushed to the other side panel.

Here are some pictures off the machine how it is today. 

X27iEv3.jpg?1 OK13aPG.jpg?1 1GFsj0n.jpg?1

I am sorry, new to posting images and had to resize them, did not go well here haha!

Yes I was lazy and didn't took off the side panel. Will do this tomorrow when I can take better pictures. 

I will give better pictures soon. Currently used phone pictures, sorry. Should have a decent camera tomorrow to give better pictures.

The plan is to start ordering in about a week or so. 

So please give me any toughts or idea's that I can use for this. I have never done a case mod myself so this will be the first time. Hopefully I can make it look nice and fit the theme!

This has a budget aswell, so that's why I decided to not get a bigger AIO. (not even sure if the H100i fits in this case hah)

Thanks for reading! 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Are you going to use metallic paint or vinyl-wrap with some metallic/reflective material?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I haven't even tought off that yet, but to paint the motherboard and ram. Vinyl wrap seems like a smart idea. Will look into that tomorrow. I don't want the brown to be metallic, I want to keep it matt like the noctua fan blades.

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

I love it!

Anything with noctuas. :D

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

I love it!

Anything with noctuas. :D

Yes, I personally absolutely love the way they look. Sure shoot me, but I just like brown colors. Sadly there will only really be 1 off them visable. So I am thinking off getting an 140mm one and place it in my PSU, wich I will flip over. But that would only add the cost for no real reason since the current fan does its job fine haha. I'm currently in the state off deciding what colors I will use for everything. I want to use the 2 browns that the noctua fans have. But I don't know how wich brown I want to use where. Currently I think that the fan grills in the light brown and the rest RAM, Motherboard heatsinks in the dark brown will looks best. Because I will be using red cables, red matches better with dark brown.  

Yes, I personally absolutely love the way they look. Sure shoot me, but I just like brown colors. Sadly there will only really be 1 off them visable. So I am thinking off getting an 140mm one and place it in my PSU, wich I will flip over. But that would only add the cost for no real reason since the current fan does its job fine haha. I'm currently in the state off deciding what colors I will use for everything. I want to use the 2 browns that the noctua fans have. But I don't know how wich brown I want to use where. Currently I think that the fan grills in the light brown and the rest RAM, Motherboard heatsinks in the dark brown will looks best. Because I will be using red cables, red matches better with dark brown.  

haha, yeh. I love the way noctuas look too and they look fine with a red theme. I have one on my heat sink that's on my maximus VI gene. Only I can't see it because it is in a SG09 and there is no window... (dat case doe!)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this build!

Can't wait for you to start :D

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this build!

Can't wait for you to start :D

I can't wait either! 

A few updates: It is completely possible to mount a 120mm fan at the lower front place. There are pre drilled holes there for 120mm fans.. so I guess NZXT just doesn't know what they make?  :huh:

I think I found a way to get the NF-F12 at the drive bay cage in the front off the case. I will order (yes I suck at making it myself) an alluminium U shaped plate, then I just drill a hole in it and mount it there. Will have to use ruber rings to make sure the vibration isn't going to become an issue with the case. 

Aswell I contacted the shop that sells the bitfenix cables, but they didn't had all the cables I needed. Just got an mail that I just need to say what color and that they will add those missing cables. So that's sorted aswell. 

Edit: Uploaded high quality pictures, will use paint to show my planning. Altho I am still not sure what color brown I want to use for the mesh. 

Allright, updated the main post with the new pictures. and in the edit above! 

Here are the paint editing pictures off those high quality pictures with the idea's. If you have any suggestion on things to do/not to do then please feel free to tell! 
Aswell when I was taking pictures off everything I kinda went like hmm.. This is something to maybe consider. 

1. PSU Cover, the cables there are a big mess and it's a non modulair PSU. So I have to tuck away the cables, I will first try to just get it alot more tidy and see how it looks, but with extension cables aswell - there will be even more lenght off cables that I have to hide. 
  2. Cut the front panel/door open and place a mesh. When I was taking picture I saw that the inside off the door had screws in it. So I took them off and found out that the door is 3 parts. As you can see in the previous album, there is actually a nice hole in the middle off it. So I would only need to cut trough 2 layers to create a open air place. The only thing that is like, EEK. is that the top panel is plastic.. and as you might know (or not) Plastic and cutting, drilling etc in it.. Is something scary to do. It can crack very easy when the drilling gets stuck on something. But if I don't make the hole to big, this could be an option - that way that fan get's more fresh air into the case  and you can actually see the noctua fan! What do you guys think off that?

Still in planning mode but it's going a good way, will order soon - but want to order as much as I can so the shipping costs don't start to add up. For example, the bitfenix cables, LEDs and noctua fans will all come from the same retailer. It's 6,50€ standard for shipping stuff around and I have to use a few diffrent retailers and I have to be very carefull with my money! :(  

Got paint! This color. Aswell bought metal brushes. Will do this first as the back to see how it works out, i am very unsure about it, but they say on the damn paint can. If you paint allready painted stuff, then sand it off.. wich is like not possible to do. completely. So will have a look how it goes. 

Need to have a windstil day so I can paint the mesh! So, will update soon with that! 

Well, I have to look for a place to paint, its currently cold, rainy and windy wich is not ideal paint weather. Will have a look where else I can paint.. 

Edit: Might have found the place. Germany! My sister has a holiday home there and it has a cellar where I could very easy do the paint job. Will maybe decide to go there this weekend. So very likely Saturday I can do the paint job. 
Hopefully tomorrow I can order the cable stuff. Most likely will be wednesday, will have to wait and see haha. My special cable maker has to reply back to me, so I order the right stuff! After that it's time to order the fans and the other stuff... my wallet is dieing! Anyway, the cable and fans will get ordered somewhere this week! hopefully I can get the H80i aswell. Will see and update later this week. 

Allright, tomorrow ill start the paint job. I will do the mesh. I could do the RAM aswell, will see how it goes. I shall make enough pictures, but can not upload them till monday. I am on very bad (0,07mb down) internet here. So uploading pictures is a nightmare. Thanks for your time. Updates will come!

Allright, tomorrow ill start the paint job. I will do the mesh. I could do the RAM aswell, will see how it goes. I shall make enough pictures, but can not upload them till monday. I am on very bad (0,07mb down) internet here. So uploading pictures is a nightmare. Thanks for your time. Updates will come!

Awesome! Be sure to upload as soon as you can, so the pics get to us faster ^_^

Btw, I absolutely adore your concept, good luck~

Edit: On my phone double post, sorry.

Edit: Just painted everything, took way to many pictures. But haven't taken pictures yet off the finished result. Will do this later when it's dry. 
Here is a tip for when you paint. Make sure you have enough LIGHT.. my god i'm an idiot. I could not see the paint at all.. because it was to dark, so I sprayed and sprayed.. and was like, well I guess this is ok? And then at the small one that goes in the front. I sprayed to much paint on it, wich made it drip down and fill the holes. Sooo, yes bad. I now punctered all the holes open. But it doesn't look that clean. But, will let it dry and see how it turns out.

I used my flashlight to check the result and gosh it looks awesome. I am happy with the brown color. Looks great. I have better internet now here, but won't upload all the pictures yet, might give you guys a teaser. the pictures yet. Will do this when I get home. I only have 1gb off 'room' and after that is gone, it's back smallband. So yeah, yeey.

Will update later today!

Small teaser for tomorrow.

zkxdjKk.jpg?1

More to come tomorrow! Promise.

Looking good. I like the colors scheme. Finally one to go with Noctuas!

I considered using them in my desk, but the cost so much. and i would need 6+ ;_;

Any ways cool build cant wait to see more!

Jake

Jacob Charles IV

Looking good. I like the colors scheme. Finally one to go with Noctuas!

I considered using them in my desk, but the cost so much. and i would need 6+ ;_;

Any ways cool build cant wait to see more!

Jake

Yes they are pricey. If I went with a full set off fans I would need 6 myself. But I will skip a little bit for now. The last 2 are for the push/pull on the H80i and the PSU fan.

So yeah, when I have enough money I will get those.

Sadly I am not happy with the color, will show this tomorrow. So I will very likely re-paint them and go with beige.

Yes they are pricey. If I went with a full set off fans I would need 6 myself. But I will skip a little bit for now. The last 2 are for the push/pull on the H80i and the PSU fan.

So yeah, when I have enough money I will get those.

Sadly I am not happy with the color, will show this tomorrow. So I will very likely re-paint them and go with beige.

Dang! That sucks man!! Well post some pic's and get some feed back. I hope this works out for you. Best of luck!

Jake

Jacob Charles IV

Hah, will post tomorrow when I get home. Uploading here is bad idea. The brown color matches nicely but is to dark when there is no light on it. You will see tomorrow. I'm allready looking for new paint. Inn the sand/beige color this time.

As promised. Updated with pictures, I decided to put them in 2 steps.

Here is the full album off update #7 and update #8.

The first one is to remove the mesh. I spammed pictures here, but hey! 

The second step is the painting part. As said there, you can clearly see the color is to dark. So, I instantly went back online and looked for online shops. I found a graffiti webshop who sell a bunch off paint. I mailed them to ask for the 2 colors and got a reply back allready. Here is a link to the paint I got suggested. Those were close to the paint colors I got back from noctua. The 2 colors to look for are G1410 Latte & G8110 Rusto Coat. The beige latte color is very light, but I think it matches the noctua beige very well.

If you look at this paint job. You see that the beige he used is slightly darker then the noctua fan. This ofcourse to match the Tomb Raider style. But for my noctua style I think I will get that paint.  

Then the question for you guys. I was thinking to paint the mesh in 2 colors. The front / top one in beige. Then the 2 side panels in the dark brown. Any idea's? I could aswell just paint it all in the beige. But, to create the feel off Noctua. I think to go this route. 

• 2 weeks later...

Small teaser. I recieved the paint today and instantly went to work. I can not show any pictures yet, but will do this tomorrow. I have to do a 2nd layer to make it completely covered. Just have to say myself. OMG, I am very happy with the 2 colors that I got now. It matches the Noctua colors very well! 

Edit: just had a box delivered to my place. What could it be? ^^ 
Once the paint is back dry I will put it back in place and then show the pictures. 

Here is the paint to begin with:

Montana Gold G1410 Latte & Montana Gold G8110 Rusto Coat

sMTflaX.jpg?1

Update: 

Note this picture is after the first layer. I did 2 layers on top and 1 on the back to get the nice finish on the beige ones. The dark browns were fine after 2 layers. 

X85F6yX.jpg?1

F6mkXo3.jpg?1

m2rCQv2.jpg?1

Then a package arrived! 

rK0Kv7P.jpg?1

Missing the bitfenix USB cable. Won't be here until somewhere in december. But I will do all the cable work when I have all cables (aside from the usb one). Wich should be somewhere after next weekend. ~ 

amBmNmZ.jpg?1

9MhPe8J.jpg?1

I am very happy with the looks off the paint. I will update a few more pictures where you can see the beige on it aswell. Just mounted them back in! 

Hopefully I will get a CPU Cooler from Noctua tomorrow (My birthday!). Either the NH-D14 or the NH-U12S! I decided to go with a tower cooler instead off an AIO. Because, well Noctua?

Will do something fancy with the tower aswell once I get it. 

I aswell am a retard. I tought I needed PWM for my fan control that's build into the Phantom. Well, those things are 3 pin and the PWM connecters are 4pin. Woops? Will look for an adapter or else mod the connecter so I can put the 4pin into it. 

For now, this was it. Will update with more picture's somewhere tonight!  

Awesome job man, those colors look damn spot on. Can't wait to see more.

Build Logs          

Little Red Build Log (HAF XB)            Project Tomb Raider (HAF 912 Mod)

Pollia Condensata Build Log (Showcase PC)            American Patriot (Red White and Blue Build)