Fitbit might buy Pebble

Sunrocks

pebble_time_original_(2)_original.png?1446492679

After their last successfull kickstarter campaign it seems like Pebble will be bought by Fitbit. There is nothing officially announed yet but it seems to be quite likely.

As a kickstarter backer of the time 2 I am quite worried. The backers might get a product which will be not supported in the near future. :(

Next to the other smart watches pebble was one of the best alternatives. I hope this will be not the end!

Sources say that a deal would see Fitbit taking Pebble's intellectual property, such as its operating system, but would see the Pebble brand phased out. It's not clear yet when the deal will be completed, or when it will be announced.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13802996/fitbit-buy-pebble-deal-reportedly-close

Rip, i guess thats the risk you take when you donate to kickstater pages, though you can't be certain if they will phase it out or just leave it to make its on watches under the fitbit name, seeing as the pebble and the fitbit are aimed at two completely different use cases. 

I was a little bit worried when it seemed that their rate of releasing new products was increasing (i.e. the rate at which they churned out Pebble Round, Pebble 2, and Pebble Core after releasing the Time/Time Steel series). I wasn't sure if it was because they were throwing stuff against the wall to see what stuck commercially or if they were actually getting enough commercial success to justify it.

Too bad it's starting to look like the former. Wondering if I should try to pick up a Pebble 2 before they go out. Already have a Time Steel and was planning on waiting until they upgraded the Steel series with that much nicer display, but from the look of it, that may not happen :(

fwiw, I don't find that Pebble has added much (in terms of updates) since I got my PTR over a year ago (other than voice SMS). Also, I can't imagine Fitbit would buy Pebble and then not support Pebble devices....it wouldn't really make sense.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

48 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Also, I can't imagine Fitbit would buy Pebble and then not support Pebble devices....it wouldn't really make sense.

It would if they were just after their IP. Why spend the money on continuing to run an app store for a watch with a relatively small client base if you only bought then to get their OS? I don't see a company like Fitbit really having any use for the pebble series from a hardware perspective.

This is disappointing, since I was really looking forward to the Time 2 and the Core. Oh well. Guess I should pawn off my current watches before they decide to kill the app store xP

5 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

It would if they were just after their IP. Why spend the money on continuing to run an app store for a watch with a relatively small client base if you only bought then to get their OS? I don't see a company like Fitbit really having any use for the pebble series from a hardware perspective.

This is disappointing, since I was really looking forward to the Time 2 and the Core. Oh well. Guess I should pawn off my current watches before they decide to kill the app store xP

People actually use the app store? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I do yeah. Music Boss, Snowy, Modern Watchface, and a few others.

This is something where legal protections should be legislated for crowd funding: If you build your company through crowd funding, even though it's technically good faith donations, you can't sell your company without compensating the backers.

The biggest scam ever perpetrated on crowd funders was Oculus being bought by Facebook and none of you getting a fucking dime off it when you should have gotten something since your donations created incredible value in the company, enough to be purchased by well, fucking Facebook.

-------

Current Rig

-------

31 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

This is something where legal protections should be legislated for crowd funding: If you build your company through crowd funding, even though it's technically good faith donations, you can't sell your company without compensating the backers.

The biggest scam ever perpetrated on crowd funders was Oculus being bought by Facebook and none of you getting a fucking dime off it when you should have gotten something since your donations created incredible value in the company, enough to be purchased by well, fucking Facebook.

I disagree. It's not like you're buying stock in the company. You're buying a product that has yet to be developed/released. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I disagree. It's not like you're buying stock in the company. You're buying a product that has yet to be developed/released. 

I know it's not like you're buying stock in the company, that's my point: it should be like you're buying stock in the company. Perhaps not being entitled to the same benefits and rights an investor has but something in between "investor" and "lol fuck you" would be nice.

-------

Current Rig

-------

23 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I know it's not like you're buying stock in the company, that's my point: it should be like you're buying stock in the company. Perhaps not being entitled to the same benefits and rights an investor has but something in between "investor" and "lol fuck you" would be nice.

You can change your pledge at any time though, so there isn't really any risk in backing a project. So I could put $500 behind all projects. So if Google/Facebook/etc... shows interest before the deadline, then I keep the $500 backing. If they don't, then I change it to $1.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

You can change your pledge at any time though, so there isn't really any risk in backing a project.

I'm assuming they'll charge your card or otherwise collect your payment at one point though so not sure what you're trying to say here.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm assuming they'll charge your card or otherwise collect your payment at one point though so not sure what you're trying to say here.

You can cancel/change your pledge at any point while it's live. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

This topic has made the Pebble community really angry. In the Discord Pebble Dev chat it hasn't been a normal day, normally in there developers seek help and other developers or Pebble employees help them, but today it has been full of speculation, anger, and sadness. Also the Pebble employees that are normally in there haven't been really in there today.

13 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I get what you mean. The apps are generally of crappy quality and buying them via PayPal is a pain compared to the app stores for iOS and Android. I did buy the odd app here and there, but for most part, I found it a crap shoot. 

13 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm not sure whether I agree that it should legally be that similar. But from the point of view of contributing to crowdfunding campaigns... I'm always going to be wondering why should I do that instead of buying a share/participation/giving a loan/any other traditional financing that actually involves, you know, a return to your investment :P Yes, the average Joe can't invest like a venture capitalist or lend like a bank, but a traded company doesn't need to have expensive stocks, it just need a whole bunch of them. If I can "crowdfund" $200, then I can also buy forty $5 shares.

I can understand it when it's just a sort of pre-order: you commit to buy a product that doesn't yet exist so they can go ahead and produce the first batch. You pay the regular price, you get a product, no need for anything else. But beyond that...

Well at least Pebble might support Windows 10 Mobile in the future then instead of letting their arrogant CEO :P have a say in the matter.

Well at least Fitbit will definitely support Windows 10 Mobile like they do now with their wearables.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well at least Pebble might support Windows 10 Mobile in the future then instead of letting their arrogant CEO :P have a say in the matter.

Well at least Fitbit will definitely support Windows 10 Mobile like they do now with their wearables.

but pebble still won't support W10M, Fitbit will phase it out if the purchase happens 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

but pebble still won't support W10M, Fitbit will phase it out if the purchase happens 

Maybe - that's not confirmed. Pebble is a very valuable brand. Fitbit might be interested in the IP for their own brand, but Fitbit is a joke on the smartwatch side of things, whereas Pebble is one of the most popular brands. If they want to expand into the smartwatch market, they made decide to merge or keep the branding. Example, rebrand Pebble as "Pebble by Fitbit".

Still, perhaps Fitbit will be more responsible with the brand. The fact that Microsoft had a fully working App for Pebble, that they made for Pebble in good faith, at no charge, and the CEO scrapped the deal at the last minute because he personally didn't like Microsoft.

Talk about letting personal biases interfere with consumer choice and operation of your business. Many Windows Mobile users (myself included) were hoping to use Pebble with their phones. And it wouldn't have costed Pebble a penny.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@dalekphalm 

The deal went through, and it looks like Pebble's hardware will slowly lose support -- and interestingly warranty support immediately. The pebble time 2/Core will not see production and all orders will be cancelled/refunded. 

Pebble’s developers will move to Fitbit while development and manufacturing on Pebble’s hardware products will be ceased.

Current Pebble devices will continue to operate as normal, maintained by Fitbit. However, functionality and support could be reduced in the future. Warranty support on current Pebble devices is also no longer available.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/12/07/pebble-acquired-by-fitbit/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

@dalekphalm 

The deal went through, and it looks like Pebble's hardware will lose support -- and interestingly warranty support as well. The pebble time 2/Core will not see production and all orders will be cancelled/refunded. 

https://9to5mac.com/2016/12/07/pebble-acquired-by-fitbit/

Well - this is probably a great purchase for FitBit - but damn, kind of fucks over all the current Pebble users who have hardware still under warranty.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

47 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well - this is probably a great purchase for FitBit - but damn, kind of fucks over all the current Pebble users who have hardware still under warranty.

it's done btw

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yup, putting mine on eBay tomorrow when I dig out my box, wasn't 100% sold on the whole smartwatch thing for the year and a half I've had my time, but this has seriously put me off. Hopefully I'll be able to recover some cash before this news kind of blows up.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

3 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

Given that Fitbit is still the leading wearable in 2016, this makes a lot of sense. Maybe to fully compete with Apple Watch and Android Wear.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside