3D printed backplate

Froody129

I have the MSi 1060 Armor OC. I love the card but I want a backplate for it. I'm not willing to pay the high price for a custom one. The card has the Gaming X PCB. I have access to a good 3D printer. My main obstacl is the model.

Does anyone have a backplate model? Would I have to model it from scratch or can I scan one in? 

That's an F in the profile pic

Plastic as a backplate would not be very good, all GPU backplates are made out of metal. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

See heres the thing. Plastic backplate shouldn't bee all that big of a deal. Not all backplates cool the back of the cards. Some do but it doesn't really have to so theres no problem there. A problem you will have however is length. A lot of 3d printers have smaller beds under 8 inches. Even my printer only can do 8x8x8 prints so it would be difficult to print. Modeling shouldn't be all that hard because you just need to locations of the screw holes

a pic of my printer printing something

Spoiler

20161129_150220.jpg

Id be scared of scans tho. id personally design one from scratch because scanning is well not always good

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

21 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

See heres the thing. Plastic backplate shouldn't bee all that big of a deal. Not all backplates cool the back of the cards. Some do but it doesn't really have to so theres no problem there. A problem you will have however is length. A lot of 3d printers have smaller beds under 8 inches. Even my printer only can do 8x8x8 prints so it would be difficult to print. Modeling shouldn't be all that hard because you just need to locations of the screw holes

a pic of my printer printing something

Hide contents

20161129_150220.jpg

Id be scared of scans tho. id personally design one from scratch because scanning is well not always good

I have two friends with 3D printers, both have pretty big beds. The backplate is 100% for aesthetics only and not meant to disperse heat. I'll also put vents in. Thanks for the info 

i would just design one yourself. Its quite easy with most cad software and you can learn a very valuable skill along the way. If you are going to school, you can get access to any autodesk program like inventor 2017 for free. 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

2 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Plastic as a backplate would not be very good, all GPU backplates are made out of metal. 

The GTX 10 reference cards that have backplates are using plastic 2 piece plates.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Plastic is fine, a few companies including one I own has been making backplates from Acrylics / Plastic for a few years, and they are perfectly fine.

-Marcus (Addon Customs LTD Director)

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

If there isn't vram on the back, its just for looks. So plastic can be used, just depends.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1060 is cool and efficient. Plastic will be absolutely fine. 

Update: After my friend assured me his bed was big enough, he realised when he was about to print that it was in fact not big enough. In retrospect I wish I had gone with Gaming X but it was significantly more expensive for no cooling improvement

Update: After my friend assured me his bed was big enough, he realised when he was about to print that it was in fact not big enough. In retrospect I wish I had gone with Gaming X but it was significantly more expensive for no cooling improvement

Is this a full length 1060?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Also did you already find screws you could use?

43 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Also did you already find screws you could use?

I think it would classify as full length. It's the Gaming X PCB with a different cooler on. I kinda assumed I would just try a bunch of screws. Do they make them proprietary?

7 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I think it would classify as full length. It's the Gaming X PCB with a different cooler on. I kinda assumed I would just try a bunch of screws. Do they make them proprietary?

Well having he right thread and pritch. And the additional length for the plate itself and if any spacers are used. So that isn't a refferece pcb then?

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well having he right thread and pritch. And the additional length for the plate itself and if any spacers are used. So that isn't a refferece pcb then?

No it's not. But if I need screws I can just buy them for cheap( unless they're proprietary, then I don't know). As I said though, my friends bed isn't big enough, I might go to a workshop near me with all sorts of stuff I can use, or I might try splitting my design into two so I can print it

On 12/5/2016 at 10:31 AM, Froody129 said:

No it's not. But if I need screws I can just buy them for cheap( unless they're proprietary, then I don't know). As I said though, my friends bed isn't big enough, I might go to a workshop near me with all sorts of stuff I can use, or I might try splitting my design into two so I can print it

The screws are not proprietary but I'm guessing they will not be very easy to find since they are pretty specific