NEED ADVICE FOR UPGRADE

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
22 minutes ago, ian95 said:

Indeed one of the things im buying its the ssd and a 4tb wd blac for mass storage, but to be completely honest i dont trust my motherboard i dont think its a good one and also its a pretty cheap one. I was thinking on building a new one with an x99 sabertooth, with i7 6850k with 32gb ddr4 3000mhz ram on quad channel and of course the ssd BUT after a lot of researching on ddr4 rams, quad vs dual channel, processor comparisons and so on i came down to this: i dont think that expensive computer is going to perform waay better than the one i have right now. So i thought maybe i could upgrade one of the components i have right now without spending all that money. Wouldnt you all agree?

this is what i'd recommend:

- the mobo, although it's a very basic model, wont really impact performance, hold on to it for now

- having just recently gotten 32GB ram for my server (i needed it xD) i can say: that's a lot of money that would go to waste if you didnt use it. monitor your ram usage while doing daily tasks, if you see it's maxing out it's worth the bigger kit, but at that point you dont need to ask, because you know ;)

- get an SSD of sorts, this is probably gonna be the main destination for your money

- owning a WB black, i kinda suggest staying away from them after having tried out toshiba 3TB drives (once again in my server ;)), they're a decent chunk cheaper (talking price per GB), are MUCH quieter, and are almost shockingly fast seeing those other two factors.

- sit on that 3570k for now, i'd say at least until the intel 7000 series and/or amd zen rolls out, and see what those bring to the table. i expect AMD ZEN motherboards to be either super cheap, or super decked out with features. for someone in a use case like you, that should sound pretty nice.

- if you want to upgrade things like the mobo, cpu, and/or ram plan an upgrade path, there's no use in buying 32GB of DDR3 now if you're gonna switch to a DDR4 processor in the foreseeable future.

Hey guys, im in need for some wisdom.

What do i have:

i5 3570k, 16gb ram cas9 1600mhz corsair vengeance, gigabyte ga-b75m-d3h motherboard and a gtx970, wd hdd 7200rpm 1tb of storage and windows 7.

Why do i use it for:

Mainly 3D software such as unreal engine, blender, substance suite, photoshop, and video editing.

Problem:

The system takes huge amounts of time to boot, the programs also take loads of time to start, projects can take up to 45 min.

Questions:

The problem im sure mostly lies in the hdd but...

Could also change my motherboard help me improve the performance?

Should any of the components be changed? If so: what should i change it for?

Are some of the components bottlenecking the others?

Should i just move to ddr4 and also change my processor to gain significant performance improvements?

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED, CHEERS.

1 minute ago, ian95 said:

Hey guys, im in need for some wisdom.

What do i have:

i5 3570k, 16gb ram cas9 1600mhz corsair vengeance, gigabyte ga-b75m-d3h motherboard and a gtx970, wd hdd 7200rpm 1tb of storage and windows 7.

Why do i use it for:

Mainly 3D software such as unreal engine, blender, substance suite, photoshop, and video editing.

Problem:

The system takes huge amounts of time to boot, the programs also take loads of time to start, projects can take up to 45 min.

Questions:

The problem im sure mostly lies in the hdd but...

Could also change my motherboard help me improve the performance?

Should any of the components be changed? If so: what should i change it for?

Are some of the components bottlenecking the others?

Should i just move to ddr4 and also change my processor to gain significant performance improvements?

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED, CHEERS.

The best thing you can do here is to add a Solid State Drive (SSD). A CPU/RAM/Mobo upgrade would help, but will be a lot more expensive. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FrH48d/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e500bam

This is a great SSD, there are cheaper and smaller ones, but this is what I'd recommend. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

An SSD. You can't change ram as you need new cpu, new mobo too. Maybe a faster CPU. That's it. Maybe more RAM.

How much can you spend? No nothing is bottlenecking

unless you are ready to upgrade your CPU, dont change your motherboard. Pick up a 500 gb 850 evo, that should solve all of your problems.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

You might need 32GB of RAM. Also an SSD would add to the responsiveness of the system.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

the generic advice is pretty simple: what part about your build does not suffice? that's what you upgrade.

in your case, i'd say its pretty safe to bet all your issues come from the sluggishness of a hard drive.

solution: get an SSD, and keep the hard drive as secondary storage.

1 minute ago, Ezio Auditore said:

You might need 32GB of RAM.

get out.

the rule about 32GB ram is if you wonder if you need 32GB ram, you dont need 32GB ram.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Indeed one of the things im buying its the ssd and a 4tb wd blac for mass storage, but to be completely honest i dont trust my motherboard i dont think its a good one and also its a pretty cheap one. I was thinking on building a new one with an x99 sabertooth, with i7 6850k with 32gb ddr4 3000mhz ram on quad channel and of course the ssd BUT after a lot of researching on ddr4 rams, quad vs dual channel, processor comparisons and so on i came down to this: i dont think that expensive computer is going to perform waay better than the one i have right now. So i thought maybe i could upgrade one of the components i have right now without spending all that money. Wouldnt you all agree?

22 minutes ago, ian95 said:

- the mobo, although it's a very basic model, wont really impact performance, hold on to it for now

- having just recently gotten 32GB ram for my server (i needed it xD) i can say: that's a lot of money that would go to waste if you didnt use it. monitor your ram usage while doing daily tasks, if you see it's maxing out it's worth the bigger kit, but at that point you dont need to ask, because you know ;)

- get an SSD of sorts, this is probably gonna be the main destination for your money

- owning a WB black, i kinda suggest staying away from them after having tried out toshiba 3TB drives (once again in my server ;)), they're a decent chunk cheaper (talking price per GB), are MUCH quieter, and are almost shockingly fast seeing those other two factors.

- sit on that 3570k for now, i'd say at least until the intel 7000 series and/or amd zen rolls out, and see what those bring to the table. i expect AMD ZEN motherboards to be either super cheap, or super decked out with features. for someone in a use case like you, that should sound pretty nice.

- if you want to upgrade things like the mobo, cpu, and/or ram plan an upgrade path, there's no use in buying 32GB of DDR3 now if you're gonna switch to a DDR4 processor in the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

unless you are ready to upgrade your CPU, dont change your motherboard. Pick up a 500 gb 850 evo, that should solve all of your problems.

I'd personally get this SSD instead of the 850 EVO. The write speeds are about triple of what the EVO is and it costs about the same. 

1 hour ago, Matias_Chambers said:

First of all what's your budget?

i gather for OP it's not so much about budget as about what's the sensible thing to buy.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

excellent recommendations, thank you :).

about the toshiba: should i go with the p300 or the x300? cause the only difference is the amount of cache, but im reading theres not much of a difference except for the price.

and what do you think about the p600 ssd @Matias_Chambers mentioned? im asking cause its the first time ive heard of it, usually you find that people recommend the evo series above the others. But this one seems really nice specially when you go higher in storage.

6 minutes ago, ian95 said:

about the toshiba: should i go with the p300 or the x300? cause the only difference is the amount of cache, but im reading theres not much of a difference except for the price.

and what do you think about the p600 ssd @Matias_Chambers mentioned? im asking cause its the first time ive heard of it, usually you find that people recommend the evo series above the others. But this one seems really nice specially when you go higher in storage.

i have the toshiba "DT01ACA300" specificly, with 64MB cache

as for SSDs i dont have much opinion, my desktop has a sandisk ultra II in it, and my server has a mushkin triactor, and that's about all i know about SSDs :P

5 minutes ago, ian95 said:

Intel SSD's have always been pretty good, but they were usually overpriced. This one is really good value for your money. You are getting triple the read speed of the 850 EVO. And I've never seen any problems with Intel SSD's. It also has a 5 year warranty which is the same as the EVO.