[Rumor] ZEN to be "soldered"

Prysin
2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

On topic:  I don't think this matters much. Even if it is legit, things can change before the final version gets produced. It might just be engineering samples that uses solder. Even if this leak is correct, it still doesn't say anything about how it will perform or overclock.

Right, aside from... other discussions... this is pretty minor news. Even if we assume it applies to retail CPUs, it's not necessarily something that makes a huge difference. Just a small positive sign on one aspect of cooling.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Right, aside from... other discussions... this is pretty minor news. Even if we assume it applies to retail CPUs, it's not necessarily something that makes a huge difference. Just a small positive sign on one aspect of cooling.

For all we know it might be either a necessary measure to keep the heat within specs... or something done just on the engineering models.

Heck for all we know it's soldered with liquid rumours. At least there's enough of them to go around!

Is there a Chrome extension to block every web page that contains the word Zen until it's release?

It can be for a different browser as well, I'm willing to change browsers to get this function.

It is somewhat ironic that the architecture is called Zen :P 

1 hour ago, IAEInferno said:

To exaggerate this much to prove a point?

Too extreme.

... I wasn't proving a point. I wasn't even arguing anything.

There have been a lot of rumors hyping up Zen to be better than blah blah blah Intel chip and insanely cheap, so I was saying that I'm glad it's not another one of those.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

... I wasn't proving a point. I wasn't even arguing anything.

There have been a lot of rumors hyping up Zen to be better than blah blah blah Intel chip and insanely cheap, so I was saying that I'm glad it's not another one of those.

Sure

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

No it isn't. It's a light 15* above the horizontal on the right causing a long shadow with a soft white ambient light for the rest of the scene.

No, they will lay perfectly flat, just not flush.

I would love to see your mathematical formula you used to measure the angle of light,  then use the size and shape of the shadow it casts to determine the height the chip is off the table. You say you've got facts, let's fact check.

Talk about steamrolling someone, damn.

If it's a Bristol Ridge APU, it doesn't say a whole lot. If it's legitimately Zen, it could say something good. I'm still holding my cash until legitimate benchmarks come out.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think my post qualifies as trolling.

Harassment? Maybe (although I'd call it a joke at your expensive). Trolling? No.

I don't admit to breaking the rules though, so it is up to the mods to decide. If a mod thinks that I have stepped over the line then they will take the appropriate measurements.

On topic:  I don't think this matters much. Even if it is legit, things can change before the final version gets produced. It might just be engineering samples that uses solder. Even if this leak is correct, it still doesn't say anything about how it will perform or overclock.

pretty sure mage tank can put some quotes here to prove he's been trolling for the longest while

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Me breaking community rules?! When was the last time that happened? 9_9

And seriously, you're playing the standards card on me instead of MageTank or Lawlz who have knowingly been stretching this out for laughs in a manner that's in violation of your harassment standards IN ADDITION to your trolling standards? 

I completely admit to breaking the community rules on harassment. I've gone out of my way to call you out on your deceptive comments, and will likely continue to do so if left unchecked. That being said, I don't troll you. I have fun at your expense only because you make it easy to do so with your blatant lies. You insult others that do not agree with your opinion, and you talk down to others as if you know more than everyone on this forum. The sad part is, you are an intelligent man. Everyone can see that, but you have limitations like the rest of us. The biggest problem is that you refuse to believe that you have limitations, and therefore, cannot be wrong. Even with insurmountable evidence against you, you simply toss it all away as if all of the evidence is fabricated, or completely wrong without providing evidence of your own to the contrary. The very few times you do provide evidence, it's from a single source and is an anomaly among it's peers. You do not see this as an issue either. This massive character flaw goes unbeknownst to you. 

Take this very thread as an example. You see a picture, and immediately dismiss it as photoshop, or it being an entirely different product from it's competition. You provided ZERO evidence to this claim, told others to look it up themselves (even though burden of proof was on you) and repeatedly changed your answer as to which CPU it was. Now, if you were serious, I pity you for caring so much about a very simple aspect of a competing CPU. If you were trolling, then clearly you deserve the negative attention you get from others. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

snip

Yeah I have to admit... I never understood what this patrick vs everyone thing was all about. Until a few days ago I had a 'discussion' with him where he essentially called me an idiot because I wouldn't take his word for it that Kaby Lake would have a 'DMI 3.1 of 8 lanes PCIe 3.0 lanes between the CPU and the chipset'. 

He did actually provide supporting sources for once... except they only refuted his point.

He's like the Trump of the internet. Surprisingly bold, stubborn and convinced of himself even when he's talking total crap and has no way to back it up. 

1 minute ago, Jovidah said:

Yeah I have to admit... I never understood what this patrick vs everyone thing was all about. Until a few days ago I had a 'discussion' with him where he essentially called me an idiot because I wouldn't take his word for it that Kaby Lake would have a 'DMI 3.1 of 8 lanes PCIe 3.0 lanes between the CPU and the chipset'. 

He did actually provide supporting sources for once... except they only refuted his point.

He's like the Trump of the internet. Surprisingly bold, stubborn and convinced of himself even when he's talking total crap and has no way to back it up. 

I make it my duty to teach people if I correct them. I want them to understand my thought process, and I give them my methodology so that they can test it themselves. If their result matches mine, then great. If they produce a different result, or correct a flawed methodology on my part, then even better. It means I've learned something, and that is always a good thing. Simply telling someone they are wrong, or providing "facts" without context does nothing for anybody. People that believe others without questioning the "why" learn nothing. I always tell people to question what they do not understand, and not just take the words of someone that appears to be knowledgeable as an absolute fact. 

Once people fall prey to deceitfully articulate people, misinformation spreads like wildfire. It's no secret that Patrick knows many things, but it's an absolute fact that the majority of what he knows, has yet to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. 

6 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Is there a Chrome extension to block every web page that contains the word Zen until it's release?

I'm guessing you can set up something like that in adblock or similar, but it might just be easier to not visit any tech site on the internet...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Me breaking community rules?! When was the last time that happened? 9_9

And seriously, you're playing the standards card on me instead of MageTank or Lawlz who have knowingly been stretching this out for laughs in a manner that's in violation of your harassment standards IN ADDITION to your trolling standards? 

with the amount of snark and insults you throw around, no matter how well worded they may be, you should not try to play the "everyone" card....

neither will i. But then again i'm not going to hide the fact that ive been banned multiple times and have a boatload of warnings. Both on and off the forums.

14 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I make it my duty to teach people if I correct them. I want them to understand my thought process, and I give them my methodology so that they can test it themselves. If their result matches mine, then great. If they produce a different result, or correct a flawed methodology on my part, then even better. It means I've learned something, and that is always a good thing. Simply telling someone they are wrong, or providing "facts" without context does nothing for anybody. People that believe others without questioning the "why" learn nothing. I always tell people to question what they do not understand, and not just take the words of someone that appears to be knowledgeable as an absolute fact. 

Once people fall prey to deceitfully articulate people, misinformation spreads like wildfire. It's no secret that Patrick knows many things, but it's an absolute fact that the majority of what he knows, has yet to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. 

perhaps, just perhaps, he is yet another #Deeplearning experiment..... He do seem to favor the green side strong enough for that to be true

28 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Well I appload your persistence. My personal background is more in international relations / conflict / terrorism studies but I have to say I get really damn tired trying to correct the many misconceptions floating around in that area. :(

It's hard and unrewarding work to try and fight misinformation...

inb4 locked for offtopic/harassing/other.

On topic: I want to see an actual de-lidded Zen APU/CPU/Server/GPU/ASIC/FPU/BBQ just to see if this leak is legitimate or not. But, we're going to have to wait until "soon" when it's actually released.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

9 minutes ago, LucidMew said:

inb4 locked for offtopic/harassing/other.

On topic: I want to see an actual de-lidded Zen APU/CPU/Server/GPU/ASIC/FPU/BBQ just to see if this leak is legitimate or not. But, we're going to have to wait until "soon" when it's actually released.

I don't really see this rumor as being farfetched. The FX series were soldered to the IHS, so it's not outside of the realm of possibilities. I do agree that it would be nice to actually see it once we get retail SKU's into the hands of third party reviewers. I mostly hope the IHS themselves are better this time around. Every single FX CPU I've had, needed to be lapped to make proper contact with my coolers. 

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I don't really see this rumor as being farfetched. The FX series were soldered to the IHS, so it's not outside of the realm of possibilities. I do agree that it would be nice to actually see it once we get retail SKU's into the hands of third party reviewers. I mostly hope the IHS themselves are better this time around. Every single FX CPU I've had, needed to be lapped to make proper contact with my coolers. 

The thing with the FX series is that the die was massive, and it was on 32nm.....so it could have the IHS soldered on without any issues.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The thing with the FX series is that the die was massive, and it was on 32nm.....so it could have the IHS soldered on without any issues.

Why does the size of the die play a role?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Why does the size of the die play a role?

as was pointed out in another thread at 

15 hours ago, Lays said:

There's a huge writeup done by der8auer ( a professional overclocker and electrician-ish engineer that deals with the in's and out's of the business )

http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

I'm a bit disappointed guys, I expected this one to get a little crazy. I guess that's what I get for being involved in the most tame, well mannered forum I've ever seen nevertheless been a member of.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I hope they're soldered, and I hope they can't overclock, but are at their max-limits to begin with, with great temperatures, because that's all I want.

6 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I hope they're soldered, and I hope they can't overclock, but are at their max-limits to begin with, with great temperatures, because that's all I want.

I don't know if that's a great idea. AMD or even Intel for that matter won't sell them maxed out. They will need to have flexibility to extend the lives of the processors. Plus, there's the reason why there is a market for unlocked CPU's: Overclockers and gaming enthusiasts. If they were at max potential, that would kind of take the fun out of building a PC and personalizing it.

30 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I don't know if that's a great idea. AMD or even Intel for that matter won't sell them maxed out. They will need to have flexibility to extend the lives of the processors. Plus, there's the reason why there is a market for unlocked CPU's: Overclockers and gaming enthusiasts. If they were at max potential, that would kind of take the fun out of building a PC and personalizing it.

Soldering it on gives it better cooling and better cooling = better over clocks. Well we can hope these are good over clockers.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

This is literally the straw that broke the camels back and made me join the Forum.

I've been a long time view of LTT and browser of the forum but this kind of annoyed me so much.

For what it's worth I am a long time AMD fan (Bring on the torrent of hate mail) and have been since the very VERY early days (Not telling you my age) and I'm truly excited about Zen. Not because of the idea that it might finally bring Intel into check, but rather that it feels for once that us poor AMD fans might actually have something exciting to put into our builds.

I really don't care if this rumor is accurate, it's just nice to have something interesting to talk about in regards to AMD, think about it. How long is it since we could really debate something so unknown from AMD in terms of processor? Good and bad, it's exciting.

Anyway, to my real point. Rumors are just that and for what it's worth I'm going to go with the APU side, not Zen. Patrick is a troll, he has gained too much attention from all of this (And yes I know how ironic it is that I'm saying this and by proxy giving him more), and removed the focus from something that we should all be excited about. 

Phew, rant over.

P.S. Hi to all! I'm here to stay now.

P.P.S. AMD Rules!!! ;) 

P.P.P.S. please direct all your Intel hate to the following address: idontcare@whateverintel.ha.ha