[Rumor] ZEN to be "soldered"

Prysin
1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Don't CPUs get hotter than 60C rather easily though?  Certainly if overclocked I think?

So wouldn't using stuff that gets messed up at around 60C or above be a bad idea? 

I think you'd pretty much need to run a decent 240mm AIO if Zen is using liquid metal as the TIM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Well thing is,  intel's current 14nm quad cores are 122mm², and about half the die is dedicated to graphics.  

Even with zen's SoC design,  i would still expect an 8 core die to be <200mm²,  which doesn't seem to be the case here. 

It also has the chipset on the die so its going to add more real estate to the chip. It could also have a shit load of transistors. the 8300's had over 3bn transistors while intel hangs around ~1.5bn.

I build PCs as a hobby. 

6 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

And it cannot be a 32c chip.  Amd already confirmed that those will be using an MCM, not one monolithic die.

It's too early to say that there won't be a monolithic die with 32c in Zen's lifetime. Even though AMD confirmed that they don't currently have plans to release one, the issue is subject to change. I'll concede that it isn't likely since AMD plans on an MCM 32c.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

What you guys don't know is that AMD is going to call their 16c chip the E7 2830 "I'm never wrong" Edition.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Isn't the 6900k > 200mm²? 

It is,  but it's a 10 core die with about 50% more cache on-board 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

17 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Well, at least you're not saying it'll be $1 and twice as fast as Skylake.

I do like the idea of a soldered TIM... Let's see if it turns up true.

That's a whole new level of exaggeration, I doubt anything this year or in the next two years would be twice as fast as skylake.

I would rather see benchmarks though.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

16 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Man, I'm enjoying this roast.

the heat transfer is great tho

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

16 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Stop lying to us

We have evidence, unlike you

Also note that all the Intel CPUs have three golden dots and one triangle in the corners. This CPU only has a triangle, no dots.

I want this in the finest marble w/ gold letters on my wall , now pls

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

18 hours ago, Prysin said:

last time i checked. XEONs didnt have AMD stamped onto the IHS.... AMD CPUs often does.

also, you can see that it's not sitting flat on the table, the pcb is elevated because it has pins. disproves that sandy bridge xeon bs yet again.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

3 minutes ago, totjup5 said:

also, you can see that it's not sitting flat on the table, the pcb is elevated because it has pins. disproves that sandy bridge xeon bs yet again.

No it doesn't. It's elevated by the capacitors on the bottom. Intel chips do not lay flush with a table either.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

No it doesn't. It's elevated by the capacitors on the bottom. Intel chips do not lay flush with a table either.

I'm aware of that, but it is too high off the table for that to be the case, and generally intel cpus will not sit perfectly flat like that whereas a cpu on an array of pins will.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

20 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

I'd rather see benchmarks than a de-lidding, just sayin'.

I'm having you arrested for Avatar plagiarism

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 minutes ago, totjup5 said:

I'm aware of that, but it is too high off the table for that to be the case, and generally intel cpus will not sit perfectly flat like that whereas a cpu on an array of pins will.

No it isn't. It's a light 15* above the horizontal on the right causing a long shadow with a soft white ambient light for the rest of the scene.

No, they will lay perfectly flat, just not flush.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Rip another limited temp :c ~60 max temp.

Magical Pineapples

Hey guys, that is clearly an Nvidia GTS 585 die. I can tell by the pixels that it is shopped. I don't have any evidence but I think it is up to everyone else to disprove me, because I am never wrong and everything I say should blindly be taken as fact.

The light in the photo is, just like my previous statements, coming straight out of my ass.

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Hey guys, that is clearly an Nvidia GTS 585 die. I can tell by the pixels that it is shopped. I don't have any evidence but I think it is up to everyone else to disprove me, because I am never wrong and everything I say should blindly be taken as fact.

The light in the photo is, just like my previous statements, coming straight out of my ass.

You sound like someone that's seen a few shops in your day, I trust you.

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

No it isn't. It's a light 15* above the horizontal on the right causing a long shadow with a soft white ambient light for the rest of the scene.

No, they will lay perfectly flat, just not flush.

You've achieved this level absurdity that even I can no longer tell if you are serious, or are the worlds greatest troll. At this point, it's no longer fun to have fun at your expense, as I am genuinely worried for your well-being. It's not so much that you are blatantly lying to a group of people that know better, but it's more so the fact that you honestly seem to believe in your own lies. I can get you through these tough times buddy, but the first step to recovery, is admitting you have a problem. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

28 minutes ago, MageTank said:

You sound like someone that's seen a few shops in your day, I trust you.

You've achieved this level absurdity that even I can no longer tell if you are serious, or are the worlds greatest troll. At this point, it's no longer fun to have fun at your expense, as I am genuinely worried for your well-being. It's not so much that you are blatantly lying to a group of people that know better, but it's more so the fact that you honestly seem to believe in your own lies. I can get you through these tough times buddy, but the first step to recovery, is admitting you have a problem. 

He's trolling. Stop feeding him.

Take a look at the actual Intel E7 2830. 

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Vode said:

He's trolling. Stop feeding him.

Take a look at the actual Intel E7 2830. 

I really want to believe that, but his blind devotion to Intel gives it the possibility that he is being genuine. He's done this before, and has even chewed people out for disagreeing with him. Hopefully I am wrong, and he is just the worlds most elaborate troll. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Hopefully I am wrong, and he is just the worlds most elaborate troll. 

Kudos to him if he is, I guess?

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I really want to believe that, but his blind devotion to Intel gives it the possibility that he is being genuine. He's done this before, and has even chewed people out for disagreeing with him. Hopefully I am wrong, and he is just the worlds most elaborate troll. 

Elaborate isn't the half of it. Meticulous, intricate, thorough, and more.

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Elaborate isn't the half of it. Meticulous, intricate, thorough, and more.

I hope this isn't an open admission to trolling, you know the rules about that.

This goes for everyone else, get back to a proper reasoned discussion about the original topic.

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I hope this isn't an open admission to trolling, you know the rules about that.

This goes for everyone else, get back to a proper reasoned discussion about the original topic.

Me breaking community rules?! When was the last time that happened? 9_9

And seriously, you're playing the standards card on me instead of MageTank or Lawlz who have knowingly been stretching this out for laughs in a manner that's in violation of your harassment standards IN ADDITION to your trolling standards? 

4 hours ago, IAEInferno said:

That's a whole new level of exaggeration, I doubt anything this year or in the next two years would be twice as fast as Skylake.

... That's the point.

Though I'd imagine the "$1" bit stands out a little more than the "twice as fast as Skylake" bit.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

10 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Me breaking community rules?! When was the last time that happened? 9_9

And seriously, you're playing the standards card on me instead of MageTank or Lawlz who have knowingly been stretching this out for laughs in a manner that's in violation of your harassment standards IN ADDITION to your trolling standards? 

I don't think my post qualifies as trolling.

Harassment? Maybe (although I'd call it a joke at your expensive). Trolling? No.

I don't admit to breaking the rules though, so it is up to the mods to decide. If a mod thinks that I have stepped over the line then they will take the appropriate measurements.

On topic:  I don't think this matters much. Even if it is legit, things can change before the final version gets produced. It might just be engineering samples that uses solder. Even if this leak is correct, it still doesn't say anything about how it will perform or overclock.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

... That's the point.

Though I'd imagine the "$1" bit stands out a little more than the "twice as fast as Skylake" bit.

To exaggerate this much to prove a point?

Too extreme.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.