Why is Corsair RM series Bad?

ViruZ_HUN

I would trust Johnny Guru over anyone who posted in this thread.

"Right. LTEC was in the center of the whole "bad cap" scam years ago. I've seen the longevity tests for the RM and at the higher loads where the fan turns on, they stay cool enough to where they'll last around 15 years. And at lower loads, when the fan doesn't spin, the temperatures are still within spec (< 105°C) while the ripple current is so far below the cap's capability, the higher temp doesn't effect the life.

That said, it would be nice to see WHY some newer caps (after LTEC realized they got screwed on the stolen formula) are still failing in some PSUs. Are they running even hotter? Are they being asked to filter too much? I'd love to know."

My PC doesn't turn on unless I switch the plug to a different plug socket every time. Still actually works fine though.

Sound more like you need to call a sparky and get your house checked out..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

I would trust Johnny Guru over anyone who posted in this thread.

Well, that's a little rude, as you are saying that our concern of using CapXon / LTec isn't worth listening to / trusting. There have been other knowledgeable people at JG.com who are questioning the reliability/longevity as well even after that post.  If we based it on someone from a site with a larger member base, badcaps.net, the LXY that is used in the RM is among the many series from Ltec that tend to failed.

"Most series from LTEC (and just about every series I've seen from OST) will eventually fail quicker than not with enough heat and ripple current (ambient and internal heating) applied. The only series from LTEC that seems to be somewhat an exception to that, in my experience anyway, is LZG. LZP, LXY, LYZ, LTG, TH, TK, etc, I've seen fail on numerous occasions".

The same person made this reply to the quoted comment you had posted.

"the low purity of the Taiwanese aluminum foil (with problems such as an overabundance of copper) causes the impurities to eventually "leech" into the electrolyte, cause hydrogen to form, and you know the rest. The other problem with this is that Taiwanese manufactures are not consistent with their quality at all, so they aren't predictable - there's no way to tell if they will last or not even in the proximity of ample airflow and low stress circuits. The quality of materials is not always the same. Still, I'd rate the "mediocre" Taiwanese manufactures quite a bit above the Chinese manufactures who are often known to breed lies about what's on the label, and quality wise they are quite a bit worse (and are guaranteed to fail sooner or later, with exception to brands like Aishi and Samxon for the most part). Still, if Taiwanese capacitors are failing because of raw material issues, you can bet the ripple rating is going down which means ripple suppression ability goes out the window."

I personally have dealt with a quite few LTEC caps as well (some recently) ; however, I don't recalled the exact series. Maybe if this was an actively cooled PSU, I'd probably wouldn't worry much, but it is not and it only start to sometime after 60% load as said numerous of times, which may not even spin with a high-end dual GPU setup in most condition (with such a non aggressive fan profile, it's difficult to see if the fan or the fan controller is defective as well). Not to mentioned the cables to the modular board is restricting airflow to the caps, which is another concern some people have bought up.

So the question is, can the LXY consistently maintain that reliability rate in a line where thousands of units that are going to be mass produced and release worldwide throughout the year? Or the "15 years when actively cooled" (~80% load and up) is more of an "ideal" batch of caps that had been tested by Chicony Hipro? We can only wait to see.

Either way, is the RM bad enough to be considered trash or bad? No. I'm pretty sure I have never once stated that it is; however, I did point out it flaws (flaws that I believe to be more major than semi-modular vs full and silence optimized) and compared it to other units in that price range that are of higher quality. I personally don't find it acceptable to hype up the market to such an extent that cause many people to think they are getting something of high-quality (at least the many of the people I've seen on this site) and to find questionable, low-quality component on a product at such a price point. Even the mid-range design TXv2 had shown to have higher quality caps from Rubycon and NCC. If silence is the utmost importance, go with the RM if the BeQuiet alternative is too expensive. Corsair will likely deal with any issue you may have in the future. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't recommend the RM series at the price it is currently at.

• 2 months later...

I have the RM 850 PSU and i like it. The fan never goes on and it's silent. No coil whines or anything.  The only thing i don't like, is the color.

I have an RM 750 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, unless you count the stiff as shit cable that come with them, I'm going to buy some new cables from corsair in the future. BUT ANYWAYS... there is nothing wrong with them people say they are bad but they aren't. Listen to someone who has one and will give an honest opinion, not some idiot who gives opinions on products they don't even have.

CPU: Intel i5 4670(non K) Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (2x4Gb) @1600Mhz HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC WF3 ~1293Mhz max boost clock~ PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair 300R Windowed Edition OS: Windows 8.1

Aslong as a power supply is within the ATX spec (ripple/regulation) it's not a bad psu at all. I would prefer a psu that's virtually inaudible with 80mvt & 12.4V at max load than a PSU with 10mVt & 12.0V that's making a bit noise.

I'd prefer a RM850 over this:

Their AXi PSU's are worse imo; awful hybrid fan control - the fan ramps out of the nothing to its max speed and turns off 2secs later when the psu hits 45° at idle repeating like 5 times in a minute time - or 15 times when gaming. They require some airflow, facing the fan down heats up the PSU especially on a semi passive psu and your case fans won't help cooling it down since there's no gap between the psu & case so some air can get through. Don't know if this happens with RM series but all of their flextronics units do this. Their ax860(nonI) are first class whiners, received "a fix" after a year but its still there.

what do you mean?

´--------------------------------------------

What do capacitors dO?

also i heard Rms eries turns fans only on after 60% load? can i change that to turn on Direct when i start the PC. Noise dont annoy me. also i realised that i have Coil whine in my system. i hear this eletronik noises from my GPU. but it dont annoy mme.

Capacitors store energy. That is their most basic function. They also block the travel of dc and allow access, which is a major function on a PSU as well as other things. If DC goes through a component that can only handle AC it will stop working. So the reason that people are making a big deal about the caps is that if a cap breaks it could, and likely will, damage your PSU. This potentially makes it unusable. Best vase scenario is that the PSU just turns off. Still not great for your computer though. Worse case is that it causes a surge of DC through your entire system breaking everything. So caps are pretty important

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

If the 850W and 1000W version are from the same OEM, than the only bad thing is that it doesn't have very good capacitors and that it runs pretty hot. For some people this will be a problem and for some it won't be.

Here is a review done by people who actually know what their talking about

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=369

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

If the 850W and 1000W version are from the same OEM, than the only bad thing is that it doesn't have very good capacitors and that it runs pretty hot. For some people this will be a problem and for some it won't be.

Here is a review done by people who actually know what their talking about

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=369

The 750W & 850W are from a different OEM than all others.

• 3 months later...

Does the same go for the rm650? I've ordered it but I can exchange it for a seasonic 550w at the same price point, should I do that or does the rm650 have better capacitors, or something, than the rm750 - rm1000?

Does the same go for the rm650? I've ordered it but I can exchange it for a seasonic 550w at the same price point, should I do that or does the rm650 have better capacitors, or something, than the rm750 - rm1000?

Regarding what had been said about the cap choice applies to the entire RM series.

Aside from the cap choice, the RM series is still a good mainstream unit, if you are looking for silent, fully modular, gold unit. Since you already bought it, I would just keep it, as if you were to returned it, you likely would be subject to a restocking fee and shipping.

Thanks! How long does it last do you think? 5 years? Because in a couple of years i might go SLI and buy another psu, seeing as 650w is a bit too low for sli gtx 780ti :P

Corsair's brand has become something of a problem. People see "Corsair" on power supplies and are like ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY KING CORSAIR without even doing mandatory their reading on Techpowerup and Jonnyguru.

The RM's platform is good, it's just that secondary caps are pretty shitty. I could probably live with those caps in a CX series PSU, because of the nice price-performance ratio, but definitely not on an 80+ Gold, highly-price platform. RM is more expensive than Capstone, G and Supernova, and RM doesn't have jack sh*t on those budget masterpieces from Rosewill Seasonic and EVGA.

That's not to say that the RM is a crappy PSU overall. A lot of people have no problems with it and would wholeheartedly recommend it again.

Others complain en masse about coil whine and caps.

I wouldn't recommend the RM to anyone, but in case of a failure Corsair's 5-year warranty pretty much has you covered. They're probably regretting giving the RM a 5-year warranty given the scope of various problems and its bad reputation nowadays.

If you buy the RM1000 over the dozens of superior models on the market for a 1000W PSU, I'm afraid you need to rethink your priorities and loyalties. You'd think that for a 1KW PSU, Corsair would use better components, but you'd be wrong. The silent fan-profile is not an applicable argument here; there are plenty of silent Gold and Platinum high-wattage PSUs out there from big players like Seasonic and Super Flower.

I think the RM series is a good feature rich gold rated PSU but its by no mean a high end one more of a budget one to get all those features.

• 1 year later...

Corsair RM650 and Corsair RM750 are made by Channelwell Technologies, which are usually bad quality.Therefore, they may perform bad and may cause stability issues.
Corsair RM850 and COrsair RM1000 are made by Chicony Tech. They are high quality PSU OEMs and will most likely be stable and you wont face any degraded performance or instability.
Simple as that.
So, just buy Corsair RM850 and RM1000 they are basolutely fine.
Corsair RM650 and RM750 may be bad.
Cheers!  :D  :D  :D  :D

As much as I know there are 3 types of rm's old RM series and new RMi and RMx series just check which one of those you are considering because they have slight differences 

Corsair RM650 and Corsair RM750 are made by Channelwell Technologies, which are usually bad quality.Therefore, they may perform bad and may cause stability issues.

Corsair RM850 and COrsair RM1000 are made by Chicony Tech. They are high quality PSU OEMs and will most likely be stable and you wont face any degraded performance or instability.

Simple as that.

So, just buy Corsair RM850 and RM1000 they are basolutely fine.

Corsair RM650 and RM750 may be bad.

Cheers!  :D  :D  :D  :D

As much as I know there are 3 types of rm's old RM series and new RMi and RMx series just check which one of those you are considering because they have slight differences 

Don't necro old topics, especially ones that will start beef.

"Rawr XD"