GPD Win - Pocket-sized Windows Gaming Device

3 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Buy GPD Win on Amazon: http://geni.us/ZLVL

Is this tiny Windows PC the true future of gaming? Only time shall tell...

smach z looks better

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

So can it run... uhm Minesweeper?

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

So can it run... uhm Minesweeper?

a more broad benchmark might be solitare,more cpu usage over minesweeper even freecell might worl

My life

$400? thats a really good price for that, id rather have something else like a new GPU but thats a good pricepoint IMO

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If it were $200 or less, then it would be worth it for me. If I want a true mobile gaming experience, I'd wait for the Smach Z project which is starting to really kick off and production begins soon. If I wanted a cheap, portable Windows 10 device, I'd get the Chuwi Hi8 Pro tablet, full Windows 10 on a tablet with nicd build quality for $100.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

If anything it reminds me more of a PSP Go than a Nintendo DS.   

The PSP Go makes a great N64/PS1 emulator, and is quite a bit under $150 for mint condition used.   

Kinda wish you showed more games; How is this for CS Go? Call of Duty? Skyrim?  

Sooo nobody going to mention the older style un-boxing feel that this video was going for?

Too bad there won't be a second generation. Well technically we had UMPCs before, but they were expensive as sin.

But the reason why they won't really improve after this is because Intel discontinued development on low power CPUs and x86 is a near-monopoly, so your only hope for another UMPC in the near-future is AMD and I doubt they'll try making x86 tablet CPUs and your only hope in the further future would be an open source x86 IP-Core, but they tend to use patent-free designs so they don't get sued like the JCore project making their own Dreamcast CPU, (but they planning it to be Raspberry Pi Class) but by the time our current patents expire on x86, there will be future patents that make what we have now look like a Baby's Toy.

Though, I kinda like the idea of a Pentium MMX/Voodoo1/Trio64V+/NE2000/Soundblaster16 compatible IP-Core made from Dosbox/Bochs Algorithms, I'd pay like $50 just for the novelty to have it the size of a Pi. Maybe it could add more features like a wifi passthrough or a way to use physical floppy drives and Overclocking/underclocking

1 hour ago, Wowcollin said:

Hey, Linus can you please try to water cool the GPD? xD

It's like asking if he can water cool a phone

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

It's like asking if he can water cool a phone

Can he?

1 minute ago, Commodore256 said:

Can he?

Ugh... why would you water cool something that is small and pocket size so that you later have to carry the liquid cooling box. It makes no sense at all. PS4 is not meant to be moved around

Wow, this device look awesome.

It goes way beyond the original nVidia Shield idea of a portable console that can stream full blown PC games when at home.

And while we still don't know how the Nintendo Switch will works as a portable/"dockable" console, I still kind of prefer the concept of the GPD Win.

It's not a cheap device but it could easily replace few devices like a Windows PC on a HDMI stick, a NUC PC and a HTPC.

46 minutes ago, Tunkhty said:

A noob question here: The thing has a USB Type C port, can we plug in a eGPU?

You got to understand that the USB-C connector is currently a mess with multiple standards. But at the base level, it's just a connector.

First, it can be a USB 2.0 (480Mb/s) with a Type-C connector. Most phones are stuck to USB 2.0 speeds.

Then you have the USB 3.1 Gen 1 which is just a USB 3.0 (5Gb/s) with a Type C connector. This is currently the most common type currently.

The Gen 2 finally bring a speed bump to 10Gb/s.

Then you have the Thunderbolt 3 port which use the USB-C connector and can act as a USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gb/s) or a Thunderbolt 3 at 40Gb/s. This is the bus speed that allow you to plug a eGPU.

Most confusedly, the ability to charge a device via the Power Delivery standard (or other proprietary standard like the OnePlus DASH charge) can be added to the USB-C port regardless of what data bus is connected.

TL;DR: Beside knowing the device's specs, you can't tell what a USB Type C port can do without testing it...

(And the GPD spec list simply say it's a USB 3.0 so I guess they mean it's a Gen 1)

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Ugh... why would you water cool something that is small and pocket size so that you later have to carry the liquid cooling box. It makes no sense at all. PS4 is not meant to be moved around

Well, he water cooled a macbook and I've seen people water cool a raspberry pi and I thought of attaching a Desktop CPU Cooler to a mobile workstation CPU.

I wonder how much lower they could have gone price wise if they ditched the Windows license. All the games I play run on Steam OS.

It's also a pity 2A isn't enough current for it. I suppose that only works out to 10W, but with Cherry Trail SDP being 2W, 10W seems like a reasonable total power budget.

That actually gives me more hope for the Switch.  Keep losing sight of the fact that lower end hardware also progresses with each generation, and doesn't remain trapped in mid 2000s netbook hardware grade hell. 

Surprised this isn't a HOLY $H!T video.

18 hours ago, Commodore256 said:

Too bad there won't be a second generation. Well technically we had UMPCs before, but they were expensive as sin.

But the reason why they won't really improve after this is because Intel discontinued development on low power CPUs and x86 is a near-monopoly, so your only hope for another UMPC in the near-future is AMD and I doubt they'll try making x86 tablet CPUs and your only hope in the further future would be an open source x86 IP-Core, but they tend to use patent-free designs so they don't get sued like the JCore project making their own Dreamcast CPU, (but they planning it to be Raspberry Pi Class) but by the time our current patents expire on x86, there will be future patents that make what we have now look like a Baby's Toy.

Though, I kinda like the idea of a Pentium MMX/Voodoo1/Trio64V+/NE2000/Soundblaster16 compatible IP-Core made from Dosbox/Bochs Algorithms, I'd pay like $50 just for the novelty to have it the size of a Pi. Maybe it could add more features like a wifi passthrough or a way to use physical floppy drives and Overclocking/underclocking

What about a intel Core M? They ussualy have decent Graphics power and seem to be only more and more popular? They use very little Power i have one in my Asus Tablet and it runs windows more then fine and has the same HD 530 more expensive intel laptop chips had 

12 hours ago, Ronda said:

I wonder how much lower they could have gone price wise if they ditched the Windows license. All the games I play run on Steam OS.

It's also a pity 2A isn't enough current for it. I suppose that only works out to 10W, but with Cherry Trail SDP being 2W, 10W seems like a reasonable total power budget.

Windows is Free on Devices under 8" Thats why tablets of this size and smaller is so cheap At or just above the copy cost of windows