Rufus Alternatives for Mac?

Appleboy45

I am someone who has a preferation of a Mac, but also does use PCs regularly (No I am not interested in starting a flame war on this fourm). One of the programs I use in Windows is Rufus for creating bootable Linux flash drives for when I need to test a computer without a hard drive, or if I want to install Linux on a computer. Since Rufus isn't available for Mac, does anyone know any alternatives for Mac?

When I first built a PC, all I had was a MacBook Air, so I was in a similar boat when I wanted to create installation media in order to install Windows 10.

What I did was format a flash drive using Disk Utility using FAT32. Most UEFI-based motherboards support GPT, but motherboards that boot from USB should support MBR, as well, if you want to be safe. I then used a program (Keka - which is based off of p7zip, a port of 7-zip) to extract the files from the ISO image to the newly formatted drive (make sure you all of the files are in the root of the drive, rather than in something like a folder). Needless to say, it worked.

Here is a long and complicated way of getting rufus working on a Mac.

1. Install VirtualBox for Mac (its free)
  2. Download a Windows 7 VM from Microsoft in VirtualBox format. (search official Microsoft free web development virtual machines)
  3. Download rufus on the Windows 7 VM.
  4. Enable USB on the VM and plug in your USB.
  5. Proceed to use rufus like normal.

Not sure if this helps. Haven't actually tried this but going to assume it works.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional