Wireless vs wired mouse pros and cons?

KCmetro

I've had both, am considering the options for a new build... wired, the wire got in the way; wireless, constantly replacing batteries. Accuracy and speed of response in wireless, I don't know if that is really a big deal anymore. (?) Wired, with exception to the wire getting in the way it seems more reliable, but I'm open to the possibility of a good wireless mouse. (Gaming.)

Beware: a wireless mouse may have a serious firmware vulnerability that allows  forced pairing an unknown device to your machine. Then the attacker can root kit your system as if he or she was using your own keyboard.

How much difference does weight make?

It's subjective. I find lighter mice transition from stand still to moving much better (the type of feet pads and mouse mat also effect this).  My ideal mouse would magically be massless.  

6 minutes ago, mtwest said:

Beware: a wireless mouse may have a serious firmware vulnerability that allows  forced pairing an unknown device to your machine. Then the attacker can root kit your system as if he or she was using your own keyboard.

What/?

Check out www.mousejack.com from Bastille security.

Basically many wireless mouse manufacturers were sending their communications from those wifi dongles unencrypted. This led to the discovery of some pretty gnarly exploits. Some problems can be fixed in flashed firmware, which high end mice like the G900 have. Others are in the macro key binding software. I have no idea if other gaming brand mice have this problem, but worth checking with the manufacturer.

There is also a decent talk at DefCon 24 about MouseJack if you want the gory details.

2 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

Dang... well...

...dang.

Indeed...

Public release of this info was back in February of this year. Some manufacturers haven't fixed stuff yet or worse, can't given the mouse hardware design.

Here is that DefCon talk I mentioned (from August)

So yeah. Maybe a wireless mouse is ok in your home, but anyplace else, definitely not unless you have clear specs from the maker that EVERYTHING is encrypted.

4 minutes ago, mtwest said:

Indeed...

Public release of this info was back in February of this year. Some manufacturers haven't fixed stuff yet or worse, can't given the mouse hardware design.

Here is that DefCon talk I mentioned (from August)

So yeah. Maybe a wireless mouse is ok in your home, but anyplace else, definitely not unless you have clear specs from the maker that EVERYTHING is encrypted.

<watching video>

...yeah... no wireless mice for me. Thanks for the info!

It sucks because wireless pull rates and sensors have improved so much over the past decade. They are now just as good as wired mice. And systems like Logitech's 'Unify' framework are so damn small!

But an awful design decision, in some circumstances unfixable, ruins everything.

Make sure to share this info with all those using the various low end wireless mice at work or with a laptop.

6 minutes ago, KCmetro said:

<watching video>

...yeah... no wireless mice for me. Thanks for the info!

If you get a mouse with a good braided cable, you can "train" the cable to keep it from getting in the way.

I have an old Microsoft brick.  It is about 3x8cm.  It is designed to hold the mouse cable, and the weights for an old MS Sidewinder mouse.  I have used it for all the mice I have bought since.

I bend the cable so it rises up about 10cm (from the MS brick), then down to the mouse.  That gives me around 20cm of distance.  A good quality braid will actually hold itself upright so the cable never scrapes the mouse pad.

Really neat.

(Ignoring price)

Wired:

- Don't have to worry about running out of battery while using it

- Lighter

- Have to deal with cable drag

Wireless:

- Heavier

- No cables

- Have to keep up with the battery

imo if you can find a mouse with a charging pad that you like, I would go with that. I hate having cables but there's just no alternative on the high end. Most high end mice are all wired, dunno why but it's really annoying. I like a good heavy mouse.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

11 hours ago, mtwest said:

It sucks because wireless pull rates and sensors have improved so much over the past decade. They are now just as good as wired mice. And systems like Logitech's 'Unify' framework are so damn small!

But an awful design decision, in some circumstances unfixable, ruins everything.

Make sure to share this info with all those using the various low end wireless mice at work or with a laptop.

The amount of people who keep saying wireless have horrid response time is ridiculous 

No one seems to know just how far we've gotten with the sensors in wireless mice D:

For now though all the wireless mice have horrid ergonomic designs >_< 

1 hour ago, Aytex said:

The amount of people who keep saying wireless have horrid response time is ridiculous 

No one seems to know just how far we've gotten with the sensors in wireless mice D:

I really like the feel of the G602.  My only gripe was that it was a bit heavy, but it was not too bad.  I used a single battery to lighten it up, instead of the two it can hold.

8 hours ago, Aytex said:

Ergonomics is a bit tricky one as people have different tastes.

My main gripe about wireless mice isn't the polling or ergo but rather the design flaw that allows a pretty nasty system vulnerability.

Ed made a pretty good video about the differences between wireless and wired mice, focused particularly on gaming. However awesome they may seem, still can't recommend one given the security holes in current receiver implementations.

50 minutes ago, mtwest said:

Ed made a pretty good video about the differences between wireless and wired mice, focused particularly on gaming. However awesome they may seem, still can't recommend one given the security holes in current receiver implementations.

You're being paranoid.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

On 11/27/2016 at 10:14 PM, KCmetro said:

How much difference does weight make?

Truly subjective. Some like their mice heavy (like me) and others like it light (not me).

Personally, I'm waiting on USB mousepads that charge the mouse while it's in use.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Wireless is neat and you can use your face as the trackpad, but you need to charge it or supply with batteries. Those with internal battery to save on weight, can have the battery die. Those that use batteries are heavy.

Also most wireless mouse are not nearly as responsive or accurate as wired. Good ones like the G900 is expensive. For that price you could get a good wired alternative with a bungee and not notice the cord. 

Black Friday deals had them at 50% off (which is a fucking steal btw). Hopefully those that were interested jumped on the opportunity.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

1 hour ago, eLucid said:

You're being paranoid.

Read farther up the thread man, I ain't making this up.

People should just be aware of the risks of having their systems compromised due to bad design. The exploit is more relevant to corporations with their legions of mobile mini mice paired with company laptops. But the Logitech Unify system, used by their G series, has some of the same vulnerabilities. Do what you will with the info.