i5 6600k DOES bottleneck gtx 1080

I can't even count the amount of people that said "Oh there's no way that CPU could bottleneck a 1080, you're fine". Complete lies, don't fall into their bs. I have the 1080 paired with the CPU overclocked to 4.6 Ghz, and it bottlenecks on Battlefield 4, Battefield 1, AC Unity and Syndicate, some parts in Witcher 3. And those are just a few games that i play. I'm upgrading to kaby lake anyway but i'm just getting the word out in case anyone was planning on pairing a 1080 with the 6600k. 

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

That's not a 6600k

Also, if you're getting a K version of an intel cpu, overclock it. If it bottlenecks even after overclocked, then you might be right.

3 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

I can't even count the amount of people that said "Oh there's no way that CPU could bottleneck a 1080, you're fine". Complete lies, don't fall into their bs. I have the 1080 paired with the CPU overclocked to 4.6 Ghz, and it bottlenecks on Battlefield 4, Battefield 1, AC Unity and Syndicate, some parts in Witcher 3. And those are just a few games that i play. I'm upgrading to kaby lake anyway but i'm just getting the word out in case anyone was planning on pairing a 1080 with the 6600k. 

Give us a cropped image to show MSI's hardware monitoring graphs for each game showing extended GPU usage drops.

IE: The above would show for sure, due to "over time", where you can always cherry pick a screenshot in game for a specific number value.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 minutes ago, yavuz650 said:

Pics or didn't happen...

Don't want to nor have time for it, but if you choose not to believe me it's your doom. Anyway, next time i hop on BF1 i'll record a few minutes with graphs. 100% cpu load all the time.

And how do you know that is is bottlenecking? Bottlenecking is a stupid term anyways. Every computer will bottleneck regardless of if you have a 6950x and a titanxp or a 6600k and a 1080. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 minutes ago, yavuz650 said:

That's not a 6600k

Also, if you're getting a K version of an intel cpu, overclock it. If it bottlenecks even after overclocked, then you might be right.

The 4690k is like 5% behind a 6600k and it's bottlenecking a less powerful GPU. The 1080 can only be run without bottlenecks with an i7.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

And how do you know that is is bottlenecking? Bottlenecking is a stupid term anyways. Every computer will bottleneck regardless of if you have a 6950x and a titanxp or a 6600k and a 1080. 

6600K makes the 1080 run below 99%, an overclocked 6700K doesn't AFAIK.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

Don't want to nor have time for it, but if you choose not to believe me it's your doom. Anyway, next time i hop on BF1 i'll record a few minutes with graphs. 100% cpu load all the time.

Dont want to prove a threads existence, just having hear-say is enough...OK

You do realize your not alone in the 100% CPU problem... go to reddit bruh.

10x and 12x cores systems are even at 95% usages across ALL cores (4.5Ghz machines too). There is a problem within the game with buildings specifically.

Reading around, you'll pick this up as a CPU intensive game yes, but also still buggy.

That ONE game, however, is an example, not indicative or ALL GAMES and performance from the GTX1080.

So.... what now?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Any game that heavily demands CPU performance will likely bottleneck a high end GPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

6600K makes the 1080 run below 99%, an overclocked 6700K doesn't AFAIK.

As I said entirely game dependent. I have seen my 970 run below 99% with my 6700k. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

The OC 6600K will even bottleneck a 980ti/TitanX/1070, it's a fact most people sadly can't wrap their head around because they still believe in the "i5 for gaming, i7 for workstation" narrative which changed last GPU generation. 

Games still don't make use of hyperthreading, so an i7 won't be that much better. 

IMG_1469.PNG

as seen above, there is no issue playing battlefield one with a 6600k, performance drops by 2 fps. 

Let's clear some things up. I'm not saying the 6600k bottlenecks the 1080 at ALL times in ALL games. I mentioned 5 games where i have those issues. I also found out i'm not the only one having those issues, the guy in the video i linked had the same problem. There's plenty of proof in the internet, you can't use the excuse that the original poster of this thread isn't using a video of his own gameplay. I understand opinions are divided, just now games are starting to make more use of hyperthreading, so that might be a reason. 

Yes a stock i5 will bottleneck a bit (especially at 1080p) but once overclocked there is no visually noticeable difference only measurably. Anyone who says a Haswell i5 won't bottleneck a 1070+ is wrong but anyone who says there will be huge unbearable difference (when clocked to 4.5+) is more wrong. Why would you buy a GTX 1080 for 1080p anyway?

Chiming in to say I have HUGE bottlenecks in bf1 with an i5 4590 (3.3ghz) + GTX 1080 at 1080p 144hz and moderate bottlenecks in games like tomb raider, the witcher 3, DOOM. I can post graphs of cpu and gpu usage in games if anyone wants, I'll also be getting an i7 6700k in a few weeks so I can post graphs after that too. One guy I messaged before told me that if I get bottlenecked at 100% usage with an i5, I will get bottlenecked at 50% with an i7 since an i7 is a quad core, biggest bullshit I've heard in my life.

20 hours ago, bgibbz said:

Games still don't make use of hyperthreading, so an i7 won't be that much better. 

IMG_1469.PNG

as seen above, there is no issue playing battlefield one with a 6600k, performance drops by 2 fps. 

Let me clarify something for you  guys.

It might sound weird for many people, but FPS is not the only thing to count. You can have 80 fps on BF1 and still lag A LOT because of the  CPU.

Let me explain :

I tested with a 4690K @ 4.6 ghz, wich is faster than a 6600k stock. With my gtx 1070, I was getting over 80 fps constantly, but as soon as the cpu reaches 100% usage ( wich is almost all the time or in some maps at least, ) you start getting STUTTERING. Stuttering is lag spikes every 3-4 seconds.

This is caused by the cpu, not low fps or gpu usage... This means even if you have 80 smooth fps, if the cpu top at 100% it will struggle and create lag spikes. I've seen it, i've lived it in BF1 with my i5.

I was so frustrated I bought an i7 6700k. CPU reach 70-80% in the heaviest map, and stays at 30%40% in the less demanding maps. With that said, never have I felt a single like spike with the i7. Not a single lap spike. No stuttering.

Yes fps are mostly the same with the i5 and the i7. But its not the only thing to keep in mind. CPU usage will create lag spikes if it reaches 100% wich the i5 does in a lot of games nowadays... I've seen that situation also in rise of the tomb raider in the forest...

So keep in mind... not because you see a chart where the i5 has good fps with a gtx 1070 in a game means you will not get cpu stuttering or lag spikes.

5 years ago I would have say an i7 is useless in games,

Nowadays, I would say get the i7, it is used a lot in games, and theres a big difference between i5 and i7 in CPU DEMANDING GAMES like BF1

Lol, I got two i7's, both over clocked, both "bottleneck". Especially in bf1. So if anyone wants to post a link because they don't know anything themselves with a fix for it, by all means. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Thing is: if you're trying to maxout a GTX 1080 rendering games at 1920x1080...you're doing it wrong...get a proper monitor for your brand new 700$ graphics card mate ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1080 runs like shit on 1080 anyway. Even changing the scaling. Just a bad card overall. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I remember when the first GTX Titan launched actually maybe even before that, there were already issues about CPUs bottlenecking GPUs. Nothing new about it really.

The i7 does a better job, but don't expect like fireworks and stuff. It'll only give a few frames advantage.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Your point? It's not like your experiencing major stuttering in your CPU demanding titles. Stop complaining.