Can't decide on a GPS smartwatch

Mobby Dick

Hey guys,

I plan on getting a GPS watch for christmas, but I can't decide which one is best for me.

Mainly it should do well when jogging or riding my bike, but it should also be able to connect to my smartphone to see my results.

I looked at the Garmin Vivoactive hr, Garmin Vivosmart hr+ (couldn't find an english link, sorry), Garmin Vivoactive, Samsung Gear Fit 2 and Motorola Moto 360 Sport

The Samsung and Motorola are said to have poor GPS tracking, so these two are no option then.

I tested the Vivoactive (not hr) in a store, but it was really slow and drove me crazy, so not a good idea ether.

Now I can't decide between the Vivoactive hr and Vivosmart hr+. The main differences are that the Vivosmart hr+ has a black/white display, while the Vivoavtive hr has a much bigger display with colours. Also the Vivoactive hr has more functions, for example can you load additional apps to it and it has more options like skiing and swimming, etc. However, as already said, I will mostly use running and biking, what is given with the vivosmart hr+. The price is about 40€ more for the Vivoactive hr.

So in general the Vivoactive hr is a smartwatch for runners while the Vivosmart hr+ is a fitness tracker with GPS. BTW, the Vivosmart looks a lot better in real life than the Vivoactive hr+.

Can you guys help me decide? :D I have no idea what is best for me... The only thing that keeps me from getting the Vivoactive hr is the price and the looks, since I also want to wear it to school etc... Which one would you buy?

If you have any other options, just let me know :)

if I were you, I wouldn't pick any smartwatches for any kind of sports. Battery life isn't really good imo and GPS is.. well.. it is what it is. 
I have a Garmin 230 and damn it's way better. I can read most of my notification on my watch, no touchscreen nonsense, no gimmick features. 

Unfortunately, I only use it for running and I haven't tried out cycling with it, but you can connect some other Garmin stuff that will be more precise about your activity. 

2 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

if I were you, I wouldn't pick any smartwatches for any kind of sports. Battery life isn't really good imo and GPS is.. well.. it is what it is. 
I have a Garmin 230 and damn it's way better. I can read most of my notification on my watch, no touchscreen nonsense, no gimmick features. 

Unfortunately, I only use it for running and I haven't tried out cycling with it, but you can connect some other Garmin stuff that will be more precise about your activity. 

I haven't cosidered this one, but it seems nice. I am just gonna ask some question sbout it if that's ok?

Can it measure heart rate? (I don't really need it, but for 200€ it would be nice)

Can you read WhatsApp notifications on it? (Also just a gimmick, but the Vivosmart hr+ can do that for less money)

Is the GPS tracking good?

Is there an app for your smartphone and is it any good?

What kinds of sports are supported and can you load others to your watch?

Does it also work as a fitness tracker? So that it measures steps and so on the whole day?

Sorry if these were too many questions, I am just very undecided on what is best for me... It would be fine if you just answer the important ones ;) 

1 minute ago, Mobby Dick said:

I haven't cosidered this one, but it seems nice. I am just gonna ask some question sbout it if that's ok?

Can it measure heart rate? (I don't really need it, but for 200€ it would be nice)

Can you read WhatsApp notifications on it? (Also just a gimmick, but the Vivosmart hr+ can do that for less money)

Is the GPS tracking good?

Is there an app for your smartphone and is it any good?

What kinds of sports are supported and can you load others to your watch?

Does it also work as a fitness tracker? So that it measures steps and so on the whole day?

Sorry if these were too many questions, I am just very undecided on what is best for me... It would be fine if you just answer the important ones ;) 

It can read : 

- Gmail

- WhatsApp (doesn't support smileys)

- FaceBook

- Messenger (doesn't support smileys)

- Calendar

- other stuff that I don't remember ATM

GPS is darn good from what I've noticed, it's within 1% marge of error. 

It measures the quality of your sleep, tells you how much you move, deep sleep / light sleep (I don't know hoc much of it is accurate, tho).

The smartphone app is "okay". Lot of features but the pairing is a bit weird. 

There are a tons of widgets you can download, but I don't advise it since it'll take space + slow down the switching of the widgets already existing. It supports indoor running, cycling, running, and other sports. 

It tracks how much you walk per day, and tells you to move your ass when you're too lazy to do it :P 

I might send you a couple of pictures of the thing if you're interested. 

It doesn't measure the heart rate, but the 235 does, but it's way more expensive and it kills the battery life. You can connect it to a Garmin sensor rate and this will do the trick. 

5 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

It can read : 

- Gmail

- WhatsApp (doesn't support smileys)

- FaceBook

- Messenger (doesn't support smileys)

- Calendar

- other stuff that I don't remember ATM

GPS is darn good from what I've noticed, it's within 1% marge of error. 

It measures the quality of your sleep, tells you how much you move, deep sleep / light sleep (I don't know hoc much of it is accurate, tho).

The smartphone app is "okay". Lot of features but the pairing is a bit weird. 

There are a tons of widgets you can download, but I don't advise it since it'll take space + slow down the switching of the widgets already existing. It supports indoor running, cycling, running, and other sports. 

It tracks how much you walk per day, and tells you to move your ass when you're too lazy to do it :P 

I might send you a couple of pictures of the thing if you're interested. 

It doesn't measure the heart rate, but the 235 does, but it's way more expensive and it kills the battery life. You can connect it to a Garmin sensor rate and this will do the trick. 

Thanks for your help, just two small questions: With widgets you mean apps or sports? I would be nice to have skiing as a sport. And can you control your music with the watch, so that you don't have to pull out your phone every time you want to skip a song (I am using Spotify, if that is important :D)?

You don't need to send me photos of the watch, but thank you very much. I am just gonna look for some on the internet. That way you don't have to spend your time doing things I can easily find on the internet (at least I hope so ;)

2 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Thanks for your help, just two small questions: With widgets you mean apps or sports?

No, I mean everyday widgets. I can watch the weather, my today's calendar, how many steps / km / calories burnt. You can download other things, or other watchfaces but they're very "cpu" og "gpu" demanding so it makes the thing lag a bit. 

Also I can change music with the watch, but I haven't tried with spotify, I'll try it and keep you updated.