Installed a 1060 into an Old Gateway but get Black Screen at Startup

Hello,

My nephew has an old Gateway DX4870 desktop that he wanted to upgrade to be able to 1080p game.

I checked the specs and it all seemed compatible with newer GPU's. I bought him a GTX 1060 Windforce edition and plugged the sucker in but get a black screen.

Specs:

CPU i5 3300

mobo Some asus board, has PCIE x16 slot

8 GB RAM

PSU 500W EVGA

I've done a TON of things to troubleshoot but NOTHING works!! Here's a list of things I've tried:

- re-seating everything and quintuple checking connections, trying one or both ram sticks in different slot, reinstalled CPU with new thermal paste

- Test GPU on my own system (it worked)

- Install new PSU (500W EVGA Bronze)

- Uninstall windows onboard gfx drivers then installiing the GPU

- Starting up safemode, disabling windows drivers, reinstalling GPU

- Bios Update (No new updates for this system)

- Looking for PEG or PCI-E in Bios (isn't there), or other video related options

- Installing GTX 1060 drivers before installing the GPU (doesn't allow me to do that)

- Tried downloading Driver Fusion but you need to pay for that garbage

- Resetting CMOS (Both battery and Jumper)

The PC works just fine without the GPU installed. The Mobo has video output. Whenever I even seat the GPU in the PCIE slot, with 6 pin removed/connected, it doesn't allow the mobo video output to even work! This is also the first time a GPU has been installed in this system.

There's some other things I tried but it's SUCH a pain and I don't want the little guy to be disappointed. From what I've deduced, the PCI-e slot on the Mobo is dead but everything else on it works. I don't want to have to purchase a new mobo!

Is there anything I've missed? Please help!

Thanks!

Do you have another system you can try the card in? it could be DOA

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

8 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Do you have another system you can try the card in? it could be DOA

In my list I mentioned that I tried the GPU in my personal system and it worked just fine

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

You might have to disable the iGPU in the BIOS settings.

I don't get an IGPU option in the bios. The only thing closest related to what a GPU does is call "Power on by PCIE..." something and I don't even know what that does, but I tried it and that didn't help.

Just now, Zabyrocks said:

In my list I mentioned that I tried the GPU in my personal system and it worked just fine

I don't get an IGPU option in the bios. The only thing closest related to what a GPU does is call "Power on by PCIE..." something and I don't even know what that does, but I tried it and that didn't help.

Fuck.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Fuck.

Exactly how I feel right now :'[ must have spent a total of 14 hours doing this and no idea what I'm missing