My friend bet me his computer that his TV can display 600 fps.

Old Gregg

His TV is probably 600hz interpolated but really only 120hz. SO I'm going to get his PC for free.

That's what he gets for being cocky but not tech savvy, I guess.

did you get the pc???

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

600 Hz does NOT mean 600 fps.

Yes it does!!!

Hertz is a mesure of frequency of whatever.

1 Hz =1 thing/second

In physics, a wave that has a frequency f=50 Hz means it does 50 cycles per second, so it has a wavelength of V/f where V is the velocity of the wave.

In electrical engineering, an alternative current that is 120 Hz does 120 amplitude cycles per second.

Talking about guns,  when we say a gun has a rate of fire of 400, we are saying that it shoots 400 bullets per second. We could say the gun has a frequency of 400 Hz.

Now talking about displays, the current display technologies flash images really fast to simulate motion (like the Lumière brothers discovered). So when we are talking about a display, saying the refresh rate or the rate is X amount of Hz means it flashes X images per seconds AND has X fps regarless of how many of them are similar.

But I could be wrong on the way TVs market their refresh rate.

Spoiler

Yes it does!!!

Hertz is a mesure of frequency of whatever.

1 Hz =1 thing/second

In physics, a wave that has a frequency f=50 Hz means it does 50 cycles per second, so it has a wavelength of V/f where V is the velocity of the wave.

In electrical engineering, an alternative current that is 120 Hz does 120 amplitude cycles per second.

Talking about guns,  when we say a gun has a rate of fire of 400, we are saying that it shoots 400 bullets per second. We could say the gun has a frequency of 400 Hz.

Now talking about displays, the current display technologies flash images really fast to simulate motion (like the Lumière brothers discovered). So when we are talking about a display, saying the refresh rate or the rate is X amount of Hz means it flashes X images per seconds AND has X fps regarless of how many of them are similar.

But I could be wrong on the way TVs market their refresh rate.

Displays show a series of images in rapid sequence to simulate motion, yes but in plasma TVs ("600Hz" TVs), the frequency is not the number of images per second.  Each sub-pixel flashes on or off 10 times in each frame to create different levels of brightness.  If the sub-pixel is "on" for 5 out of the 10 cycles in each frame, then the sub-pixel appears as half brightness.  This is how plasma TVs vary the brightness.  The entire image and all the subpixels are not the same brightness in each image though.  On any given frame, some subpixels may flash on more than others, some may stay off completely, so any of the 10 cycles alone is not a complete frame, only when viewed together do they complete 1 frame from the input.  600Hz = 60 frames displayed per second.

Let's put it simply.  If you hooked a computer up to it and it was ouputting 61 frames per second, the TV would not be capable of displaying all of them.  Are we done?

Displays show a series of images in rapid sequence to simulate motion, yes but in plasma TVs ("600Hz" TVs), the frequency is not the number of images per second.  Each sub-pixel flashes on or off 10 times in each frame to create different levels of brightness.  If the sub-pixel is "on" for 5 out of the 10 cycles in each frame, then the sub-pixel appears as half brightness.  This is how plasma TVs vary the brightness.  The entire image and all the subpixels are not the same brightness in each image though.  On any given frame, some subpixels may flash on more than others, some may stay off completely, so any of the 10 cycles alone is not a complete frame, only when viewed together do they complete 1 frame from the input.  600Hz = 60 frames displayed per second.

Let's put it simply.  If you hooked a computer up to it and it was ouputting 61 frames per second, the TV would not be capable of displaying all of them.  Are we done?

Ok, I get it.

We are done. You're not angry are you? Cause I learned something today...

Spoiler

No I want to know why it actually had to come to this. ;D

No it's alright :)

I've just come across this question before :P  Sorry

Havnt we all? Im just saying most questions have been asked and answered before on this forum. It quite rare to have something thats "new".

No I want to know why it actually had to come to this. ;D

Havnt we all? Im just saying most questions have been asked and answered before on this forum. It quite rare to have something thats "new".

Yeah :P I don't mind answering the same question, just addressing the same point more than once in a thread.