Holiday Buyer's Guide 2016

11 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Yeah there's always someone (everyone) who doesn't agree with my Holiday Buyer's Guides.

It is what it is.

don't know why you didnt use cx power supplies though

they are the best psu's in the world imo

cx 750's  cx 430'x cx 500's all the cx but especially the green ones

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

1 hour ago, pk-man said:

checks to see how the Canadian peso is doing vs USD

Yup, not upgrading PC this year....

too true considering atm we are the same price as aussies

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

8 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

But hey, everyone has different opinions.  Like I probably would have skipped the SSD for more storage on the budget build.  But at that price range, I'm thinking more storage over more speed. 

This is interesting IMO, because I'm the opposite. I would rather go SSD + i3 than HDD + i5, regardless of $. The speed factor for even basic operations is just too big for me to go back.  

5 hours ago, balderm said:

Why use X99 platform for the $2000 build? That's a huge waste of money, you get comparably better performance with a i7-6700K on a decently good Z170 motherboard, both in game and productivity applications thanks to hyper threading.

because that leaves you a bunch more unspent

2 hours ago, idmb said:

This is interesting IMO, because I'm the opposite. I would rather go SSD + i3 than HDD + i5, regardless of $. The speed factor for even basic operations is just too big for me to go back.  

If I'm going budget, I want more storage.  I'm assuming that since I'm going budget that at least for the foreseeable future, I'm not going to have money to buy a $50 hard drive later.  (I mean yes, eventually I will)

So that's why I would go with the option of more storage.  (Assuming my budget is $500 or less)

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

21 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Damn, good catch. That's my bad there - when I'm grabbing like 30 Amazon links they tend to run together a bit 9_9

"We won't be sweating small stuff like 'upgradability' or 'futureproofness' for this one. We've got $500 to spend, so if it doesn't make the FPS number go up, it's out."

Sooo... that's why :P

But, the i3 6100 performs better than the 860K.

19 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

a lot of the links straight up don't work because they're auto-linking to amazon.ca and not .com

It's obv because I'm in canada but I don't much care.

Yeah we always use search strings with a geo-tagging service so that people can purchase through their own localized Amazon. Sucks how limited some supply areas are on .ca :( 

From my understanding the Athlon 845 may have a lower clock, but unless you OC the 860K it ends up being just about as fast due to the 845 being excavator with it's slight IPC gains and different cache set up

Also the Fury X is currently $329, overall a better choice than the 1070 factoring in the cost of a free-sync display IMO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150742&cm_re=Fury_X-_-14-150-742-_-Product

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

To be quite honest, that $500 PC is perfect for someone who has a terminal illness.

For the budget build, the PNY CS1311 240GB is the same price as the SanDisk Z410, but the PNY SSD has better specs and better meantime failure rate. Thoughts??

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the 860k severely bottleneck an RX 480? Wouldn't you be better off putting a little bit more money into the CPU or perhaps downgrading to an RX 470?

• 4 weeks later...