DIY NZXT HUE+! So easy anyone could do it! (update)

On 22/11/2016 at 10:34 PM, dany_boy said:

The next step is to see if I can find a way to use CPU and GPU temps and utilization for colors, as well as music response. I'm making progress and the feature will most likely be added during the Easter holidays

It is actually stated in the article and github (I don't blame you for not reading, its rather long). TLDR: temps are coming this Friday (I'm almost done) and audio will hopefully come by the end of next week (that one is proving to be tricky).

Cheers!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

Version 1.7 is out!

-Added functionality to run the app in the backgorund with the help of a system tray icon (for hardware monitoring)

-Added hardware monitoring options for CPU and GPU (temperature and utilization)

-Improved connectivity with the controller (should result in faster and more effective identification and communication)

-Added a menu bar, the app can now run on top at all times

-User settings are now saved from the app at exit, not only when requested by the user

-Improved functionality when scanning for LED controllers, the app will now scan 5 times in succession, hopefully resulting in better controller recognitions

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

Dang Am I happy I found this. I've been looking for a Lighting setup for my Brothers D.VA/Vaporwave PC, and this will fit into the budget. 

Excellent work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Just wondering. There are some budget RGB fans showing up that LOOK nice as is, Do you think the might be controllable with this project? I believe they are Halo/AMZtronics 120mm RGB Fans and they have six pin connectors, so I'd assume that there's some way to make it function...

Though I may just get some of the car headlight RGB rings and just stick those on the casing of something I know is a good fan...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, really cool stuff ! The project is amazing and has a giant potential :)

Are you planning to search for other developpers to help you ? (possibilities are endless and it would be cool to see something even more advanced than NZXT's software).

I'm personnally noob in coding but i can help you finding experienced people and have a lot of ideas.

Thanks

6 hours ago, tdomino said:

Hey, really cool stuff ! The project is amazing and has a giant potential :)

Are you planning to search for other developpers to help you ? (possibilities are endless and it would be cool to see something even more advanced than NZXT's software).

I'm personnally noob in coding but i can help you finding experienced people and have a lot of ideas.

Thanks

I just finished my finals last Friday and I actually want to re-start this project. For the moment I'm looking for someone who can help me to design a good looking user interface, since I suck at that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as well as any new ideas.

Cheers!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

This project is very similar to the custom controller someone made for the Corsair HD RGB fans. They use a Arduino Mini Pro. I'm just waiting for a better tutorial to be made before I attempt to make it. But if anyone's curious on it there's a whole thread here about it http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029

1 hour ago, WarbossChoppa said:

This project is very similar to the custom controller someone made for the Corsair HD RGB fans. They use a Arduino Mini Pro. I'm just waiting for a better tutorial to be made before I attempt to make it. But if anyone's curious on it there's a whole thread here about it http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029

Well if I was not a broke student I might be able to afford some RGB products and adapt my code. Too bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Either way, it seems like corsair has gone the cheeky and lazy route by using bog standard WS2812 leds.

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

If you're okay with that, i can search for people in the french speaking hardware community :)

I also thought it would be a great idea to suggest that theme to Linus and his team. I know they like making videos about DIY and RGB and it would be great to see your project in one. It would also probably bring people to help you :P

11 hours ago, cretzuadrian said:

-snip-

Oh man that is so cool! Good to see that it works with RGB fans! I'm currently resuming my work with this project in order to bring better, faster and more functionality. Thanks for pointing me to the keyboard visualizer project. I'll definitely look into it.

Cheers!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

hey @dany_boy!

Do you think your app could work on this: http://www.lattepanda.com/products/ ?

I was planning to use one paired with a 7" touch monitor to control my desk LEDs (5050 led though), my corsair keyboard and maybe a Corsair Lighting node pro (fans and LED kit).

Do you think it will work the same as there is on-board Arduino controller?

Edit: Oh and @tdomino you were seeking for someone french? Je parle français de base et j'ai eu des cours de programmation, comment puis-je vous aider? :P 

@dany_boy No problem :),thank you for continuing this project, i'm sure this app there will be something far more beautiful than the competition nzxt, corsair etc.,i hope someone have imagination to make a nice interface for the application :D

Hey! Great project and I've just ordered the parts from your links and they'll be here in a measly 30 days! Super excited, that will be a great midsummer project. Thanks for the inspiration, and if you ever do another project like this lmk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R5 1600, Asus Prime B350, 16gb corsair vengeance, nzxt s340, gigabyte gtx 1060, cryorig h7, 256gb adata su800. More in Link.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RC4KQV

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New update for my HUB.

Hub now support up to six fans Corsair HD120/140 RGB, 9 fans Nzxt aer rgb 120, Strip up to 72 LEDs digital 2812b.

I will put a tutorial on the forum how to do this mod.

4BeTM5X.png

Piz9bSs.png

R4bvcE7.png

I would be great to be able to control different channels/strips, with different arduinos (or even one, i don't know if it's possible). You could do 2 different effects from the same program.

It would also be great to add support for non-adressable RGB strips that would match with the adressable effect (don't know if you followed me there :p). I personnally have rgb fans (non-adressable) and this would be a nice feature :)

These are just ideas, i don't even know if its possible.

Keep up the good work and again, thanks for helping the community :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just got it installed, it works well :)

Just 3 things (yeah i'm annoying):

1) I miss the alternating and the marquee effect from the original hue+, these aren't complicated effects and it would make your project "complete" :)

2) The software uses 30% of my 6700k while running (150 leds though but 30% is still a lot). I have to close it while playing games (but the last selected effect still goes on). You could work on optimization to improve the viability of the project :)

3) I saw in the arduino sketch that brightness is set to 100, isn't 255 the max brightness with FastLED ?

Thank you :)

3 hours ago, tdomino said:

I just got it installed, it works well :)

Just 3 things (yeah i'm annoying):

1) I miss the alternating and the marquee effect from the original hue+, these aren't complicated effects and it would make your project "complete" :)

2) The software uses 30% of my 6700k while running (150 leds though but 30% is still a lot). I have to close it while playing games (but the last selected effect still goes on). You could work on optimization to improve the viability of the project :)

3) I saw in the arduino sketch that brightness is set to 100, isn't 255 the max brightness with FastLED ?

Thank you :)

On the contrary my friend, thank you very much for pointing out the flaws and improvements to my project. I've been extremely lazy over the past month, but I'll get back to work soon. Cheers!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @dany_boy, i just found this thread, and i really like the app. i would like to do this, but not inside of a case. i have a 5050 rgb led strip here and i would need to get power from the wall with like a 12v 12.5 watt 700ma ac power adaptor. The thing is tho, i dont have a soldering iron. Would i still be able to make this happen?

Oh? Well hello there! Notice me please!

Specs!

CPU: A AMD A10 APU

HDD: like, 1 terabyte

RAM: 2x4 gig sticks of kingston DDR3

GPU: heheh- the amd A10 APU with radeon graphics oh wow

PSU: What ever is inside this thing

MOBO: same thing as the psu

Hah. this is my laptop. spooked.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

I saw this project and HAD to make an account.  @dany_boy this is awesome! And exactly what I was looking for.

@cretzuadrian proved it would work with my HD120 fans, so I just have to give it a shot.

I've gotten it working, and have been running through my Corsair Hub since yesterday.
But I have a couple secondary questions, as all of this is pretty new to me.

Cretzuadrian, did you attach the LED strips to Corsair Hub, or did you output two devices from the same data out. What strips are you using?

Thanks!

Edited by Boomermav

I have a little problem :( Your software has been working completely fine for days and it stopped working yesterday. I had clicked on "Save as default" for the first time without knowing what it was. The sketch is uploaded to the arduino but the program doesn't find the led's (example sketches by FastLED work perfectly btw). I even reinstalled Windows entirely but it still doesn't work.

Is there a solution ?

6 hours ago, tdomino said:

I have a little problem :( Your software has been working completely fine for days and it stopped working yesterday. I had clicked on "Save as default" for the first time without knowing what it was. The sketch is uploaded to the arduino but the program doesn't find the led's (example sketches by FastLED work perfectly btw). I even reinstalled Windows entirely but it still doesn't work.

Is there a solution ?

Hi there @tdomino 

I did have a similar issue while I was messing around with the settings. 

Here's something you could try. Make sure your led number in the ino file is correct before you load it onto the Arduino.  I set mine to 24 when the actual number was 36, and I had no control or response from the program.

Once I set it to the proper led number, I had full control again.  

• 4 weeks later...

hi @dany_boy. Thank you for doing this app. I really love it and I appreciate your effort. I have a question to ask, currently I using Digispark with attiny85 chip and led is ws2812b but when I open the app (LED Controller), I can connect or scan the led. Do you mind to give me some help? 
Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered all the parts to make this.

Are you still working on this? If you are is there any estimate on when the music feature you mentioned would be ready? it would be cool to have these leds synced to the rest of my pc when i play music.

Also, i uploaded the code to my arduino uno in preparation, since the arduino and uno both use the ATmega328, and their code should be cross-compatible, however, when i scan for the arduino in your led controller application, nothing shows up. I feel like the arduino should still be recognized even without the leds connected. i didnt modify the code in any way except change the number of leds from 30 to 60. Is there any other changes i should make before itll work with the uno, or does it just not work without the leds.

Edit: LEDs arrived, i can control them using other programs, but not this one, which is very close to what im looking for. I looked into the application itself, but i cant figure out any incompatibilities. Of course, i know nothing of c# or any computer programming language for that matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

This led controlled exe makes my pc almost unusable. It really stutters, and I don't know why. Danny can you check whats wrong? Does anybody else experience similar issues?