A New Window Of Exploitation

6 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

This information is shiz. The video is a farse. Barnacle is going down a deep dark hole he cant stop falling in.

I have not witnessed this happening once and I have been using Windows 10 since the release of the previewers versions, way back...

Barnacles is blowing this out his arse...

So sad.

In the video he says he asked people on Twitter if they experienced the same thing & masses replied with they did too. Maybe this is just a isolated issue on some PC's I don't know, but my only goal by sharing this was to potentially fix an OS I plan to get in coming months. So I guess that makes me selfish haha, just kidding I want everyone to have a great OS.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

Windows 10 has done this too me too, btw just as a hint if you set your connection to metered it shouldn't download these apps automatically and should also disable automatic updates downloading and installing. 

And while I'm not too happy with that, I'm also not dissapointed, because if you've got over a certain percentage of free disk space I think it's fine to install some apps automatically.  I agree with Barnacules that there should be a setting for this.  

But the deal is also that when you install Windows 10 there is a privacy statement and a policy.  When you agree to those you agree to the conditions.  I haven't read through them fully, but I know that if the agreement that I digitally agreed to by clicking accept allows Microsoft to do this then I'm okay with it, because I agreed to it, and allowed them to do that, in return I get to use services included in thier Operating System.  

Part of me thinks that Barnacules is a little hard on Microsoft since he was layed off.  But that's not the topic here.  The topic here is Microsoft automatically installing apps.  And the truthful and best answer is to read the agreements.  If it is NOT stated in any agreement then technically Microsoft has no right and you can take legal action.  If it does state it, then you have to suck it up and deal with it.  Sorry. 

5 hours ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

But the deal is also that when you install Windows 10 there is a privacy statement and a policy.  When you agree to those you agree to the conditions.  I haven't read through them fully, but I know that if the agreement that I digitally agreed to by clicking accept allows Microsoft to do this then I'm okay with it, because I agreed to it, and allowed them to do that, in return I get to use services included in thier Operating System.  

Part of me thinks that Barnacules is a little hard on Microsoft since he was layed off.  But that's not the topic here.  The topic here is Microsoft automatically installing apps.  And the truthful and best answer is to read the agreements.  If it is NOT stated in any agreement then technically Microsoft has no right and you can take legal action.  If it does state it, then you have to suck it up and deal with it.  Sorry. 

it depends on what it says. For example, if it says you authorize MS to murder your children, it is still illegal to do it. Burying something inside an EULA doesn't automatically make it valid (of course, it will as long as it's legal and meets other criteria, like being non-abusive, conforming to "reasonable user expectations", etc - while not many, there are some safeguards against footprint abuse in the US and most elsewhere).

5 hours ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Windows 10 has done this too me too, btw just as a hint if you set your connection to metered it shouldn't download these apps automatically and should also disable automatic updates downloading and installing. 

And while I'm not too happy with that, I'm also not dissapointed, because if you've got over a certain percentage of free disk space I think it's fine to install some apps automatically.  I agree with Barnacules that there should be a setting for this.  

I agree that it should be controlled by a simple setting. I would add that the default should be not doing it, with the option to opt in. I would certainly not opt in, as I'm not fine with it whatever the free space is in my drive (notice that writing to disk over and over is also a problem, plus bandwidth usage). In fact, installing stuff on it's own is part of my definition of malware. At the very least, it is next-level bloatware...

it was this video that lead me to install ubuntu. My ssd is only 10gb used much less than windows.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

21 hours ago, Blake said:

This isn't news, and Barnacules is wrong about requiring 3rd party software, just run:

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

Removes all of it. Just need to run that after each milestone update (just make a scheduled task to run it on boot if your rarely reboot your system, or whatever floats your boat).

While Barnacules is light years ahead of LTT, every time he says 'trust me, I was a senior developer for Microsoft for 15 years' I can see why MS fired him...

but if you removed it why do Microsoft feel it's their right to install it again? You shouldn't have to remove an app after every update.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Hey everyone just wanted to let you all know that Microsoft has and is at it again with the intrusion into your Windows 10 PC's. After the most recent anniversary update they have gone ahead and reset all of your settings that allowed you to stop them from getting your information to allow them to once again spy on you as you use your system. Not only have they intruded into our PC's again now they are forcibly and secretly installing apps and games that could possibly contain spyware, Maleware and other harmful code via the windows app store and you should really check out this great video from Jerry Berg aka Barnacles on youtube here is a link to his very informative video;  

I encourage you to take the time and watch the attached video and then please share this wide and far so that Microsoft will get the message that we will not tolerate this intrusion into our personal/ professional space and lives. Thank you again in advance for your support on this topic.

Building and Repairing Custom desktop computers and Laptops since 1998. Gaming rigs built to exceed customers expectations build to order using AMD or Intel CPUs and ATI or Nvidia graphics.     Windows, Mac, and Linux OS.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

But it is with permission. If you accepted their Terms of Service, you agreed to it.

btw I'm pretty sure it's a repost

It's the third or fourth repost of this.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

btw I'm pretty sure it's a repost

Agreed. And that's why I am still using windows 7. I'll wait till my (updated) hardware can't be used with windows 7 anymore (just like windows XP with 2.5+tb drives), and then make sure I can disable everything. Windows 10 sure hasn't been fixed for privacy yet.

This is not a repost it is an update to a video that he had done earlier on his channel. Jerry Berg used to work for Microsoft and was laid off 2 years ago shortly before the Windows 10 project and since he was a senior software developer he is a reliable source for information on this subject.  I did read most of the EULA and no where in there does it allow Microsoft to compromise my security or the security of my familly by forcibly installing 3rd party apps from 3rd party vendors simply because they are the ones paying Microsoft $$$$$$$$$$$$ with the benjamins to promote their games and services.  Who knows what kind of horrible code or intrusive information that these companies such as the creators of "Candy Crush Saga" or "Farmville" could be harvesting from our computers, Zanga has been using malware and spyware in their flash based games to mine data from their users for a very long time and I am very very UPSET that Microsoft would partner up with these companies to install these garbage apps on my system without my knowledge or consent.   I did not discover them on my system till I had watched Jerry's video and then I did exactly as he showed in his video to remove the garbage from my system. I thought I was being safe after running Spybot Anti-Beacon on my system as well as the anti-spyware app from the same creator.  I also run Malwarebytes on my system as well but some how this crap still appeared on my system.   I should be able to control what and when software gets installed on my machine, simply because I choose to run a windows box does not give them the permission to install unauthorized content on my system.

Building and Repairing Custom desktop computers and Laptops since 1998. Gaming rigs built to exceed customers expectations build to order using AMD or Intel CPUs and ATI or Nvidia graphics.     Windows, Mac, and Linux OS.

15 minutes ago, Advanced_Computers_Tech said:

This is not a repost.

Yes it is:

15 minutes ago, Advanced_Computers_Tech said:

I did not discover them on my system till I had watched Jerry's video

It matters so much to you, but you didn't think to look before somebody told you to look?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Retoast....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

26 minutes ago, Advanced_Computers_Tech said:

Hey everyone just wanted to let you all know that Microsoft has and is at it again with the intrusion into your Windows 10 PC's. After the most recent anniversary update they have gone ahead and reset all of your settings that allowed you to stop them from getting your information to allow them to once again spy on you as you use your system. Not only have they intruded into our PC's again now they are forcibly and secretly installing apps and games that could possibly contain spyware, Maleware and other harmful code via the windows app store and you should really check out this great video from Jerry Berg aka Barnacles on youtube here is a link to his very informative video;  

I encourage you to take the time and watch the attached video and then please share this wide and far so that Microsoft will get the message that we will not tolerate this intrusion into our personal/ professional space and lives. Thank you again in advance for your support on this topic.

This is new? This has been happening since the RTM Windows 10 Build 10240 last year......

Candy Crush is installed with every installation of Windows 10 and every upgrade. Microsoft's terrible Get Office app and other stupid pre-installed apps.

They have been here since the beginning. I'm surprised it took you this long to figure out.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well does it matter? For normal people it does not..

If you care go Linux or dual boot linux and windows...

[Thread merged]

If you want the problem solve now. Just switch to the Insider preview Slow or Fast ring.

It has been acknowledge and fixed by Microsoft soon after Anniversary Update was released.

On 11/23/2016 at 2:42 PM, Captain Chaos said:

... aaaaand there's the resident MS shill coming to Microsoft's rescue with nonsensical arguments.

Can we please stop with the insulting that adds nothing to the topic? You cannot prove that Goodbytes is a shill, and really instead of calling him one, why not focus on the actual argument? Calling someone a shill when they disagree with you reminds me greatly of the anti-vaxxer community where whenever someone defends a company when the claims make no sense, they just scream "Shill!"

Focus on the argument.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Can we please stop with the insulting that adds nothing to the topic? You cannot prove that Goodbytes is a shill, and really instead of calling him one, why not focus on the actual argument? Calling someone a shill when they disagree with you reminds me greatly of the anti-vaxxer community where whenever someone defends a company when the claims make no sense, they just scream "Shill!"

Focus on the argument.

So, just so I understand, is this focusing on the argument or name-calling?  [Bolds are mine]

On 11/23/2016 at 3:14 PM, GoodBytes said:

Sad to say, but Barnacules is still bitter and can't move on from his lost of position at Microsoft. Many who got laid off at Microsoft, including Barnacules himself, was given a new position within the company. He is an idiot. He refused in order to focus on his YouTube channel. He has given up a high paying job, and the best health care insurance you can possibly get. Not to mention, that once you work at a big company like Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, etc. you have all your doors open at other companies, as they know that these jobs, where the candidature comes from, are: actually very difficult, that these companies have very difficult interview process, and is very challenging to get a position there due to the high competition level (everyone applies to those companies).

As a result, he pushes false ideas of spying and garbage against Windows 10, like Microsoft ruined him, despite having the ability to get a better position. He has like 3 videos now on this. He can't let it go. And sadly, he is fueled by the high viewership that these videos brings from not knowledgeable people which pushes him to do more, instead of properly educating them.

Because, as you may notice, that came not from a random user, but a Moderator. Reading now your intervention, I feel that I need to ask what the official stance is about the proper way to carry out this discussion

On 11/22/2016 at 8:13 PM, SCHISCHKA said:

people need to support Steam OS

You've got the right idea - the real issue is application support from major software developers like Adobe, Dropbox, and Microsoft.

Oh, and instead of Steam OS, we should be focusing on Ubuntu, since Steam OS based on it, or even better, Debian, since Ubuntu is based on that.

On 11/23/2016 at 11:48 AM, RS2007GOD said:

This is why I refuse to use Microsoft store. Forza how ever good it is isn't worth it. I simply wouldn't use windows if I had a decent alternative. 

I just refuse to use the Windows Store because it won't install apps to either of my dual drive pools because it doesn't understand filesystem drivers.

On 11/23/2016 at 3:23 PM, Blake said:

This isn't news, and Barnacules is wrong about requiring 3rd party software, just run:

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

Removes all of it. Just need to run that after each milestone update (just make a scheduled task to run it on boot if your rarely reboot your system, or whatever floats your boat).

While Barnacules is light years ahead of LTT, every time he says 'trust me, I was a senior developer for Microsoft for 15 years' I can see why MS fired him...

12 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

but if you removed it why do Microsoft feel it's their right to install it again? You shouldn't have to remove an app after every update.

This times a million. I'm fine with Microsoft including a couple pre-installed apps, as long as they can be removed if you don't want them.

But there is absolutely ZERO reason for them to reinstall apps I have explicitly removed with every major milestone update.

It'd be like a car dealership including a hard top Jeep cover with your new Jeep when you buy and drive it off the lot.

Summer rolls around, so you remove the hard top and invest in a soft top to make it easier to remove when the sun comes out.

You go to bed, and wake up to find guys from the Jeep dealership replacing your soft top Jeep cover with the hard top cover again.

In real life this would be considered property damage, trespassing, and potentially theft - so why is it allowed in the digital world?

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

[Thread merged]

If you want the problem solve now. Just switch to the Insider preview Slow or Fast ring.

It has been acknowledge and fixed by Microsoft soon after Anniversary Update was released.

Can confirm, running the Insider Build on the Fast Ring on my desktop has been a fun experience, albeit with a few bugs here and there.

As an Insider, I've been able to provide feedback regarding the dark theme Windows should have had eons ago, and enjoyed testing things out.

However, be warned that I definitely do not recommend the Fast ring on a production system, and have chosen the Slow ring for my work laptop.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

10 minutes ago, kirashi said:

You've got the right idea - the real issue is application support from major software developers like Adobe, Dropbox, and Microsoft.

Microsoft is bringing MS-SQL to linux. I thought dropbox had a client, doesn't matter because theres a ton of cloud storage with linux apps

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Microsoft is bringing MS-SQL to linux. I thought dropbox had a client, doesn't matter because theres a ton of cloud storage with linux apps

Great to hear for people that need and use MS-SQL - I'm (thankfully) not one of those people. Plenty of faster SQL database engines out there these days.

I'm quite pleased to see that Dropbox finally created an official Linux client in the past year or so, since both Google Drive and OneDrive suck on Linux.

This is another reason I love Spotify - they're the ONLY streaming music platform that also natively supports Linux. Google Music does work in the Chrome browser I believe, but you can't control that with media keys. Apple Music and TIDAL aren't even options for Linux users, so they're out in my books.

To be fair, I still faithfully run Windows as my daily operating system, since it's what I'm most comfortable with managing fines in (Apple, when are you going to update Finder??) and my tie-ins to the Adobe Creative Suite run extremely deep. Plus, a lot of games I enjoy are still only written for Windows at this time, but I'd like to see that change soon.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:42 PM, Captain Chaos said:

... aaaaand there's the resident MS shill coming to Microsoft's rescue with nonsensical arguments.

For starters Barna was a senior software dev on the Windows team when he got fired, and the new positions they offered him were in the office team, the Xbox team, the Hololens team, which are much smaller teams with barely any option to climb up the corporate ladder.

He had just set up a new office, had just been promoted and awarded, and all of a sudden they fired his entire division.  You can't blame the guy for realizing that there is no job security at that company anymore and that it doesn't matter how good you are at your job.  Once bitten, twice shy. 

Then there's the fact that he disagrees with the direction the company has taken ever since Ballmer and Satya started to ruin it.  He did say he'd go back in a heartbeat if Gates took the reigns again.  

Furthermore, he did mention that during the MS days he was earning well but barely got to spend any time with his wife and son.  That could also be a contributing factor to his decision to stick to his YT channel. 

"Windows is not forcing unwanted apps", "The default settings change was a mistake", etc etc.  are you really dumb enough to believe that those are all accidents?  It's been one "oopsie" after another for over a year now, and coincidentally those so-called mistakes are always in Microsoft's favor. 

They only get fixed long after MS gets caught and called out for it, never by means of a quick update the day after it gets discovered (which would be perfectly possible, after all they can update your PC how and when they please).

Those are not accidents, that's a consistent pattern of suspicious behavior.  If those were really accidents, they would have taken steps to prevent those accidents from happening, for instance by hiring some testers.

As for Windows not installing random apps and you never having seen or heard it, I assume you haven't watched the above video then.  He "got swamped" with replies when he asked if people had random apps on their PC that they never installed.  Both his twitter feed and the comments on the YT vid show it.  If you really haven't seen or heard about such behavior, you obviously have your eyes closed and your ears covered.

There's a hell of a lot of difference between XP/VIsta and later telemetry.  XP and Vista's telemetry was pretty much limited to error reports, which the user had to give explicit permission for.  It used to be the same for Win7 and the early 8.1, but MS has gone and upgraded that to Win10 levels of telemetry which are either hard or impossible to disable. 

An OS has no business with how often users use which feature, or what they type.  All it needs to do is give a user access to the files on his PC and to run the programs that he wants to run. (and print files, and scan etc, but you get the basic idea).   It has absolutely no valid excuse to tell Microsoft that user 15663486 has been viewing photos with app X for Y amount of time. 

Besides, that kind of info tells nothing about how the user values said app, or what he/she would like to see differently.  If they want to know what apps and features need to be changed, all they need to do is look at their own forums where people willingly provide proper feedback. 

As for viewership on those videos, people wouldn't be watching them if the whole Win10 thing wasn't an issue to begin with.  People are obviously looking for ways to stop Microsoft's malicious behavior and regain control of their own PC.

haha, you're wrong.  Jerry worked in their testing department...  haha.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE