Touch bar MacBook Pro owner

10 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i copy my files to a NAS over ethernet

Oh okay, there are adaptors for that, and though I couldn't find any through a quick search I'm sure there will be male usbc to male Ethernet cables eventually also if you don't want to lose the adaptor just leave it plugged into the Ethernet that's connected to the NAS ;)

2 minutes ago, Chad Todd said:

Less ports is not only a completely unreasonable thing to say, you wouldn't use SD card, HDMI, multiple USB-A, charging and thunderbolt, but also misleading - one USB-C can act as multiple ports because of the daisy chaining capability if for some odd reason you need all ports concurrently, which you don't.

That's all well and good in theory, but it could get annoying in practice. Again, you should use your machine a while before you run around defending it.

You might think the same exact thing in a few months, or maybe you'll get so fed up with adapters that you exchange it, or maybe you'll grow irritated by one part of the machine but love another part so much that it's worth it.

I just never trust the opinion of someone who just made a major purchase. It's too often either over-dismissive or over-critical, because either the person wants to justify to themselves the money they spent or they want their new expensive thing to be absolutely perfect.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Good to see someone being honest about their experience, there are far too many people on all sides who simply follow the good or bad boat.  I have used both a macbook pro and a PC laptop (What I'm using right now).  And I don't really have anything negative to say about it.  

OSX is used a lot in the professional work space (Microsoft is catching up!!!) and offers a lot of software from the get go and a lot of software is availible.  I certainly wouldn't go for a mac if you are a programmer or doing computer science unless you need xcode or like having a closed-source unix-like operating system (OSX is based on BSD.).  

19 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

That's all well and good in theory, but it could get annoying in practice. Again, you should use your machine a while before you run around defending it.

You might think the same exact thing in a few months, or maybe you'll get so fed up with adapters that you exchange it, or maybe you'll grow irritated by one part of the machine but love another part so much that it's worth it.

I just never trust the opinion of someone who just made a major purchase. It's too often either over-dismissive or over-critical, because either the person wants to justify to themselves the money they spent or they want their new expensive thing to be absolutely perfect.

I don't need to defend the way I spend my money to random people on the internet, and of course I would like it to be perfect, but it's not. except the way it looks it so sexy 

1 minute ago, Chad Todd said:

I don't need to defend the way I spend my money to random people on the internet, and of course I would like it to be perfect, but it's not.

Good.

I still don't trust you, but that's just my own experience making me a tad over-cautious.

Might I ask, since you mentioned this was actually your first Mac, do you like the OS?

35 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Good to see someone being honest about their experience, there are far too many people on all sides who simply follow the good or bad boat.  I have used both a macbook pro and a PC laptop (What I'm using right now).  And I don't really have anything negative to say about it.  

OSX is used a lot in the professional work space (Microsoft is catching up!!!) and offers a lot of software from the get go and a lot of software is availible.  I certainly wouldn't go for a mac if you are a programmer or doing computer science unless you need xcode or like having a closed-source unix-like operating system (OSX is based on BSD.).  

https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-3247.1.106/

Heres the kernel by the way to macOS. It's open source.

As a developer I appreciate a UNIX system that is supported by first parties such as Adobe.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

12 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Oh...

Well, that wouldn't quite work for me.

If you just got it, you probably have pretty strong feelings around defending your purchase. I'm not telling you that you're gonna hate it, you may very well continue to enjoy using it for a long time, but... Wait a little while before telling people how good it is.

I learned that when I got the 2nd gen X1 Carbon.

How was your carbon overall??? I assume that you've been using it for a while from the tone of yours. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

15 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

How was your carbon overall??? I assume that you've been using it for a while from the tone of yours. 

Oh, I don't have it anymore.

Basically, I loved it when I first got it, but after a few months of use, I hated it. So many issues. Eventually I ran into an issue that was actually covered by the warranty, and Lenovo exchanged it for a T440s. I actually have the T450s now because the T440s took a violent fall after they stopped stocking parts for it, but I love the T-series machines.

I don't know how the current gen Carbons are, but they're probably a lot better than the 2nd gen.

Actually, I kind'a laughed when I saw that Apple announced the touchbar, because that was one of the most annoying 'features' on the X1 Carbon. Looks like Apple's implementation of it is way better, though.

3 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Actually, I kind'a laughed when I saw that Apple announced the touchbar, because that was one of the most annoying 'features' on the X1 Carbon. Looks like Apple's implementation of it is way better, though.

Yeah. I remembered I had a Y series laptop from lenovo. I bought it because out of the same spec, lenovo's machine is the cheapest one. 

Annnnnndddd... it has crappy component. Crappy screen, plastic everywhere, and it had a touchbar. That touchbar is so annoying that I can't even re-install the driver for it.

Anyway.... It worked quite well for gaming.

I did not expect X1 carbon to have a lot of issue though.... Cos that's their top dog machine. 

39 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Cos that's their top dog machine. 

nope, many think that the X series is the top model series, but that is not true. The T series is their highest end line up. ;) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The worst part for me when I demo'd the laptop was the keyboard and trackpad. So shallow. 

4 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Yeah. I remembered I had a Y series laptop from Lenovo. I bought it because, of the same spec, Lenovo's machine was the cheapest one. 

Annnnnndddd... It had crappy components. Crappy screen, plastic everywhere, and it had a touchbar. That touchbar is so annoying that I can't even re-install the driver for it.

Anyway... It worked quite well for gaming.

I did not expect X1 Carbon to have a lot of issues though... 'Cause that's their top dog machine. 

Well, Thinkpads are in a completely different class than Ideapads. They're mostly magnesium and carbon fiber (yes, they've all got Carbon fiber, not just the Carbon), and they're probably the best built machines (mobile, anyway) that I've used.

The X1 Carbon is their most 'consumery' professional machine, meaning it's the easiest to market, so that's the one you usually see. Their actual flagship is the T-series, and they are amazing.

The 2nd gen X1 Carbon was part of a product cycle where Lenovo tried a few new things that didn't pan out. The T440s was, too, but its biggest issue was the lack of physical mouse buttons. They fixed all those issues in the next product cycle, though, because they actually care about what their customers want from their machines. *cough* -Apple- *cough*

6 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

-

T-series was the original IBM designed laptop. Maybe I will give it a try for my next laptop.

24 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

T-series was the original IBM designed laptop. Maybe I will give it a try for my next laptop.

yep. If you ask a ThinkPad enthusiast then the last real thinkpads was the second gen, you know old keyboard layout and older type key and four physical buttons. They were also way easier to take apart than the new gens.

I just push on the edge of my SD card reader and it pops out and many other things. Lenovo have let me down there, but they are still insanely well built laptops. With awesome support, I must also say that Elitebooks are also worth a look.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 hours ago, LoveGamers said:

The worst part for me when I demo'd the laptop was the keyboard and trackpad. So shallow. 

I find the trackpad a selling point, i think its incredible, if you don't like it that's surely preference. as for the keyboard, of course the keys have very little travel and definitely take getting used to, especially when my desktop has a G710+ with Cherry MX brown switches. Its obviously worlds ahead. But for a laptop keyboard i find it very good if you can overlook the travel, which of course some people cant and that is understandable. There is a nice tactile feel when the key is actually pressed, though. 

12 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yep. If you ask a ThinkPad enthusiast then the last real thinkpads was the second gen, you know old keyboard layout and older type key and four physical buttons. They were also way easier to take apart than the new gens.

I just push on the edge of my SD card reader and it pops out and many other things. Lenovo have let me down there, but they are still insanely well built laptops. With awesome support, I must also say that Elitebooks are also worth a look.

My sister purchased a Lenovo laptop, i think its a Yoga of some sort. Its one of the laptops with a hinge that can make it a tablet, or a teepee, i just cant remember the name of it. The laptop in new condition was wonderful but she has had a lot of issues with it. It isnt properly optimized for the promises it makes, it claims to be a 2-in-1 but when you switch it to tablet mode it stutters terribly and is basically unusable. This was of course the first generation of the 2-in-1 by Lenovo so im sure theyve been ironed out since then. Also another gripe is that we have people who fix business use Lenovo laptops inside of an IMP building. I went to those people and asked if they could fix it because it was still under warranty but they said they could not fix it and i had to ship the damn thing to California, I live on the other side of the continent it was a pain especially considering there is a repair facility for Lenovo not even 1km from my house. 

16 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I hate HP with passion...... My cousin's HP sucks. My friends HP sucks. My classmates HP sucks. A friend of my mom uses HP and it sucks..

And I know this forum does not really give apple's product any credit... But I love OS X.... more than windows... 

Thanks for the suggestion though. 

14 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Good.

I still don't trust you, but that's just my own experience making me a tad over-cautious.

Might I ask, since you mentioned this was actually your first Mac, do you like the OS?

I do like it although there are some gripes, im sure number one on every windows users mind is that there is no "snap-to" feature. Linus mentioned this in his iSwitched series. Come on Mac. there are obviously things i like, for example all of the gestures, and the seamlessness with which it syncs to my iphone. I think some of the shit it does in conjunction with iphone is wonderful.

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I hate HP with passion...... My cousin's HP sucks. My friends HP sucks. My classmates HP sucks. A friend of my mom uses HP and it sucks..

And I know this forum does not really give apple's product any credit... But I love OS X.... more than windows... 

Thanks for the suggestion though. 

My mom was purchased a HP laptop for work, she works for the government. I dont know the model of laptop but she said that the laptop and peripherals (which included a docking station among other things) was almost 3,000$. It is quite possibly the worst laptop i've ever used. The screen tears just using facebook, and the viewing angles are by far the worst i've ever seen. 

3 minutes ago, Chad Todd said:

My mom was purchased a HP laptop for work, she works for the government. I dont know the model of laptop but she said that the laptop and peripherals (which included a docking station among other things) was almost 3,000$. It is quite possibly the worst laptop i've ever used. The screen tears just using facebook, and the viewing angles are by far the worst i've ever seen. 

Told you.....  >.< it designed to just drive you crazy.,..

SNIP

well you see, you should not think of Lenovo and ThinkPad as the same brand, yes it sounds weird, but they have nothing in common. Heck I have been to a very very big repair center in Denmark and they have people that only fix business class laptops. You also need a lot of schematics and such, so they most likely didn't have schematics for the laptop.

I hate lenovo's normal laptops. They have some few good ones (Y700, Y900 and ideapad 510s), but I only buy business class laptops. 

7 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

SNIP

yeah a lot of HPs laptops suck, but their Elitebook line up is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well you see, you should not think of Lenovo and ThinkPad as the same brand, yes it sounds weird, but they have nothing in common. Heck I have been to a very very big repair center in Denmark and they have people that only fix business class laptops. You also need a lot of schematics and such, so they most likely didn't have schematics for the laptop.

I hate lenovo's normal laptops. They have some few good ones (Y700, Y900 and ideapad 510s), but I only buy business class laptops. 

yeah a lot of HPs laptops suck, but their Elitebook line up is pretty good.

Hers is Ideapad Yoga 11s

Hers is Ideapad Yoga 11s

yeah that is most likely why, that is a normal one. They most likely didn't have the schematics for it or the parts and it can take a long time to get them and well first time you try to fix a model, is always the hardest.

16 minutes ago, Chad Todd said:

-snip about Lenovo-

Like @Dackzy (and also I) said, Lenovo's consumer machines and professional machines are nothing alike. They may as well not even come from the same company.

23 minutes ago, Chad Todd said:

-snip about MacOS-

What about compatibility? I know not a lot of games are available on Mac, but I'm not sure about other software.

Also, what about the file explorer? Last time I used it, it made me want to chuck the machine out the window to get run over by an exploding car, but that was a while ago.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

Also, what about the file explorer? Last time I used it, it made me want to chuck the machine out the window to get run over by an exploding car, but that was a while ago.

I personally would recommend using XtraFinder (Free) a wonderful tweak for finder that adds tabs and other really nice options. Or something like PathFinder (Paid) which I use daily file browser:

lef-dbno.png

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?