Note 2 locking up

Curious Pineapple

I'm having some random trouble with a Note 2. Yesterday for no reason at all it locked up when the screen had locked. No issues before, it needed the battery pulling. It's been doing it constantly now, and it only *seems* to be when the lock times out and needs a pin to unlock it. Won't do it when on charge as I've set it to stay unlocked when powered.

Already cleared the cache, and pulled the SD card, to no effect.

Any ideas before I go back to a Galaxy Ace?

Do you need it secure or could you just remove the password? 

Also, if nothing else you try works, bootloader unlock, root, AOSPA it or something. 

Was I helpful? Accept my answer or agree / mark me as informative!

Quote me, or I probably won't notice you responded to me!

Only Constructive Criticism is taken into consideration. 

Need the pass code for Android pay, although not sure if I can be bothered with it, especially if the damn thing may have locked up when I come to pay for something.

It is also missing the pen thing, although I can''t see that creating a sudden crashing spree after being fine for a few weeks.

I got given the phone not long ago with a "faulty battery" that lasts just fine, so wondering if it was actually just crashing all the time. They still sell for not an insignificant amount, seems odd to give one away if all it needs is a dirt cheap battery replacement.

After an experiment today, it decides too freeze up regardless of having a PIN/swipe pattern set, and only when left for a while with the screen off and connected to mobile network. 4 hours at work it was sat in flight mode with PIN disabled and it was fine. Out of flight mode and it made it home (about 8 minutes away). Locked up between home and the shop (about 5 minutes away). I have noticed though that if there was a notification, the notification LED flashes fine, so it's not a complete lockup, but it's unresponsive to button presses. I have done a reset using Kies so it has downloaded and flashed the latest software Samsung released.

Only thing I can think of now is reset it again, and don't restore anything from my backup and see what happens then.