Cold Fusion Computer ?

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, that's the annoying part. They could do double duty but in the states people are ill-informed most of the time.

Yeah, I wished we used it here in Canada. its such a great technology. 99% burn rate is amazing

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I built a perpetual motion machine once. But I made the mistake of putting it down during the night and I never saw it again...

Seriously though, those magnet driven machines are not perpetual movement. They are interesting but as others have said, they generate heat therefore there are energy losses. 

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

1 hour ago, straight_stewie said:

I hate to be "that guy" but at this point you should probably stop talking about *science* things. Some of us are actual scientists or engineers and have a pretty good understanding of the underlying reasons why these ideas only exist in science fiction. So I'll tackle these in order, even though they've mostly been tackled already.

Cold Fusion

Reveal hidden contents

Cold Fusion is defined as the fusion of atoms occurring at or near room temperature. The term got thrust into popularity in 1989 when Martin Fleischmann and Stanley Pons announced the results of what has come to be known as the Fleischmann-Pons experiment. The response to their findings among the scientific community was terrible: The experiments could never be reproduced and the two men became laughing stock. They moved to France to continue their research.

Long story short: Even mentioning cold fusion in the scientific community will literally get you laughed out of town. We aren't even sure whether it's theoretically possible or not yet.

Bio Fusion

Reveal hidden contents

I'll let these google results speak for themselves:  Biofusion I just don't see what any of that has to do with producing electricity, unless this stem cell cream makes you glow so bright you can power some solar panels.

Perpetual Motion

Reveal hidden contents

Physics (specifically, the laws of thermodynamics) says NOPE. But to really shorten the answer, the problem in mechanical perpetual motion machines is friction. No matter what you do there will always be some amount of friction, which means that your mechanical movements will generate some heat, which means that energy from the machine is wasted and therefore, over time, the machine will slow down.

that requires external equipment, I am thinking, a computer that could generate it's own power and be no bigger then a desktop case.

I am suitably scientifically minded to understand basic concepts of physics. 

If friction causes to much drag then that's the end of it.

4 hours ago, dr_sepheroth said:

I am thinking, a computer that could generate it's own power and be no bigger then a desktop case.

What you are trying to find is called a SNAP or "Systems for Nuclear Auxiliary Power". Their primary use was to power space craft and experiments, atleast until solar power became more efficient.

I believe that you probably want the SNAP-2 or SNAP-8 but the only one I can find good video of is the SNAP-10A. So here's some information about such things:
Introductory White Pages

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

49 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

-snip-

I'll have to read into those later, they look interesting.

Curiosity uses an RTG that peaks around 125W, that could power a lot of high-end laptop hardware quite comfortably. It does use the waste heat to warm itself, though, which is not a solution applicable to desktop computers...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

21 hours ago, dr_sepheroth said:

that requires external equipment, I am thinking, a computer that could generate it's own power and be no bigger then a desktop case.

How about getting a mechanical generator and a suitable battery. You can hook it up to an exercise bike or something and get a workout :D you'll also be doing your health a favor by only gaming as long as the exercise powered PC can hold :D

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsge769X2DsUYZGFiy8h6

Beside that your other options are solar or thermal generators, that generate electricity from heat (and no you can't break even energy wise and build a perpetual machine with this).

On 11/19/2016 at 10:35 AM, dalekphalm said:

"Now how about I say completely random scientific words that make a cool sounding sentence!"

Err yeah. Infinite power loops are impossible by default. Why would you think watercooling a PC could possibly create one?

exept the power comes from the expelled heat from the cpu, you use a stirling engine that drives heat away from a radiator, and the power generated is used to push the water, it WILL bee too slow and inefficient but it would work

44 minutes ago, aajjeee said:

exept the power comes from the expelled heat from the cpu, you use a stirling engine that drives heat away from a radiator, and the power generated is used to push the water, it WILL bee too slow and inefficient but it would work

That's not an infinite power loop, as in your example, the CPU itself is giving off heat, which is introducing energy into the system. It's not a true infinite loop because there's external energy being added. And the amount of heat given off by the CPU might be enough to slowly power a pump (and even there, I'm skeptical), but it wouldn't be enough to power the whole computer, as that would break quite a few rules of physics lol.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

That's not an infinite power loop, as in your example, the CPU itself is giving off heat, which is introducing energy into the system. It's not a true infinite loop because there's external energy being added. And the amount of heat given off by the CPU might be enough to slowly power a pump (and even there, I'm skeptical), but it wouldn't be enough to power the whole computer, as that would break quite a few rules of physics lol.

yea i hadnt read it all when i wrote this, i assumed it was jsut about the 'water loop' and not energy loop

On 11/19/2016 at 1:39 PM, dr_sepheroth said:

I am suitably scientifically minded to understand basic concepts of physics. 

If friction causes to much drag then that's the end of it.

Solar panels sounds like the most doable option for ya. Only thing is that your pc has to be outside for this to work and.. if you develop efficient enough panels.

Small little ideas: 

Absorbing energy from KB presses (wont generate a whole lot)

Absorbing energy from the movement of your mouse (wont generate a whole lot)

On 11/20/2016 at 7:39 AM, dr_sepheroth said:

I am thinking, a computer that could generate it's own power and be no bigger then a desktop case.

solar powered raspberry pi or even more practical and possibly cost effective is a solar powered celeron laptop.

All the ideas you have are cool to think of but they don't scale down to single home use. Off grid power supplies are wind turbines, solar, and portable generators.

Heres an interesting video for you:

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 19/11/2016 at 10:37 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

just build a raspberry pi powered by solar power. Thats fusion powered in a way in that power ultimately comes from the sun

give this man a badge

4 hours ago, Wolther said:

Solar panels sounds like the most doable option for ya. Only thing is that your pc has to be outside for this to work and.. if you develop efficient enough panels.

na it just needs to charge batteries. its been done:

http://pi.qcontinuum.com

This project most likely does not have a monitor or have its network equipment running off solar. If you look at the battery charts it wouldn't be unreasonable to run a modem off the system

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 11/19/2016 at 10:31 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

step 0: theoretically prove cold fusion is possible

step 1: invent cold fusion

step 2: turn on cold fusion generator

step 3: plug computer into cold fusion generator

holy shit you've already got this figured out

EDIT: to OP, thats like asking " If we invented this new energy source, can we power stuff with this new energy source". Uhh, of course? You just need to invent it first.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

On 11/19/2016 at 3:35 PM, dalekphalm said:

"Now how about I say completely random scientific words that make a cool sounding sentence!"

I just had to LOL when I read this statement.

Saw this topic earlier today and thought "WTF is a cold fusion computer?"

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 11/19/2016 at 3:28 PM, dr_sepheroth said:

So I been thinking, could it be possible to design and invent a device that uses cold fusion to power a computer ?

This would decrease man kinds energy consumption cost by about half, as half the worlds energy is spent on running the computers that run the world. Why not have a computer that generates it's own power. 

Any ideas on how this might be possible ?

Whether a computer is powered with electricity generated by a cold fusion reactor, a normal fusion reactor, nuclear fission reactor, hydroelectric, geothermal, coal, wind, solar, etc. does not change the fact that the computer is consuming energy in order to operate.  The only difference is the method used to generate the electricity that powers the computer(s).

It's also very unlikely to ever be able to decrease humanity's total energy consumption, the human population is ever growing and with that growth comes greater need for resources and to produce those resources requires more energy.  Now we may be able to slow down the rate of energy consumption by making more efficient use of energy, but it won't reduce consumption.

The only way to actually reduce consumption would require one of the following:

• We reduce the human population so that fewer people equals less energy consumption.
  • We become better at determining or allocating how we use energy.  Such as turn off all city lights after a certain hour of night, as an example.  But even this will just slow down consumption but not reduce it permanently.
  • We stop using technology altogether, in which case energy is no longer consumed in certain areas.  There are still other types of energy being consumed.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

On 11/19/2016 at 4:13 PM, dalekphalm said:

Well the heat only needs to be high enough to boil water into steam to spin a turbine (Since that's how almost all heat based energy reactors work). So "cold fusion" simply means we don't need to heat the reactor to millions of degrees Celsius. But I don't know how the specific mechanisms are supposed to work, not being a physicist :P

Nuclear fusion requires a lot of energy to start, the atomic molecules that are supposed to fuse together need to be exposed to high temperatures and pressure in order to overcome the repelling forces of those atomic molecules.  Cold fusion is where the temperature and pressure require for fusion to occur is lower than normal, basically near average room temperature and pressure.

30 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Nuclear fusion requires a lot of energy to start, the atomic molecules that are supposed to fuse together need to be exposed to high temperatures and pressure in order to overcome the repelling forces of those atomic molecules.  Cold fusion is where the temperature and pressure require for fusion to occur is lower than normal, basically near average room temperature and pressure.

Fusion doesn't use "molecules". Just elements like deuterium or tritium (heavy hydrogen). Molecular bonds would never be stable in any conditions that could support fusion anyway.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

On 11/19/2016 at 5:37 PM, dr_sepheroth said:

Ok I will skip designing that for another 10 years.

What about a Bio Fusion powered computer ?

recycle waste and run your computer at the same time ?

Bio fusion... is not even a thing. Bio 'power' is just burnig renewable shit to turn turbines or an axel. Humans invented bio-heating hundreds of thousands of years ago, i believe the model name was fire.

- snip-

On 11/19/2016 at 11:36 AM, Clanscorpia said:

Yeah, I wished we used it here in Canada. its such a great technology. 99% burn rate is amazing

Sorry but NO. Absolutely not. Those "power plants" are not at all efficient (significantly less than traditional power plants, which are only at ~%30 themselves), they produce a crap ton of CO2 (as does any power plant that "burns" things) and there are MUCH better ways to use biomass than by burning it. 

Sure, they may "burn" everything, but that does not make them a good power source. I can get my campfire to burn 90% of the wood I throw into it. It's not a hard thing to do. 

5 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Sorry but NO. Absolutely not. Those "power plants" are not at all efficient (significantly less than traditional power plants, which are only at ~%30 themselves), they produce a crap ton of CO2 (as does any power plant that "burns" things) and there are MUCH better ways to use biomass than by burning it. 

Sure, they may "burn" everything, but that does not make them a good power source. I can get my campfire to burn 90% of the wood I throw into it. It's not a hard thing to do. 

They are extremely efficient. Its a great way to reduce excess trash. And they are 99% efficent

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

They are extremely efficient. Its a great way to reduce excess trash. And they are 99% efficent

Not sure if serious or trolling. If the former, then you are very uninformed. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Not sure if serious or trolling. If the former, then you are very uninformed. 

Thats what I was told, that they burned 99% of what goes in and msot of it turns into harmless gases

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Can you provide a source to back up your claims? Also, 99% efficient compared to what? Fuel to energy conversion? Or when compared to a non-refuse fueled combustion power plant?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)