GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

That's not the point, "the mainstream" doesn't even take advantage of the high end quad cores properly. It just doesn't make sense to still have to shell out 300 bucks for those quad cores and have to buy a more expensive motherboard to access the hexas.

I'm pretty sure devs get quite a bit of flac if the software doesn't perform well.

Not half as much as Intel and AMD do.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Not half as much as Intel and AMD do.

Only because they share a monopoly. You can't buy desktop cpus from someone else, therefore if it's not good enough you can only complain.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Only because they share a monopoly. You can't buy desktop cpus from someone else, therefore if it's not good enough you can only complain.

Oh please, the base x86's patent is expired anyway, and it's not like AMD wouldn't sell licenses to base x86_64. They aren't a shared monopoly, and AMD is fiercely trying to compete.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

13 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm still going to argue that single-threaded performance is more important than cores for the "mainstream" user. You can only split "waiting person to press a key" so many ways before it becomes silly.

Multicore and multithread is being used by many games these days. GTA V, Mafia III and Battlefield 1 all come to mind as multithreaded CPU hungry games. You can blame the consoles with their 8 core AMD APUs for it. single core performance is going away as a main concern.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Rip Cannonlake 7nm dream :( I was planning on upgrading to it but since it got delayed until 2019/20 Im not gonna wait. 

I like seeing 6core on Coffelake, might try that out. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

3 hours ago, DELTAprime said:

Multicore and multithread is being used by many games these days. GTA V, Mafia III and Battlefield 1 all come to mind as multithreaded CPU hungry games. You can blame the consoles with their 8 core AMD APUs for it. single core performance is going away as a main concern.

However I'd argue that PC gamers are not considered "mainstream" users, and the console gaming scene had nothing to do with it. The APUs in consoles use netbook class processors. Jaguar was more an SoC architecture in the likes of Intel's Atom. A Pentium Dual Core can outpace an AMD Jaguar easily.

Multithreading for games I would wager is a trickier business than rendering a video as well. Data is shared in games, requiring semaphores and synching. This kills multithreading performance.

I don't know if there's a game considered a "multithreading king", but I'm just going to pick Ashes of the Singularity since supposedly it has hundreds of entities that are actual entities, unlike Total War where they're kind of entities. But TechSpot and PCPer, and  showed an i3 can dance around an FX 8350

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

However I'd argue that PC gamers are not considered "mainstream" users, and the console gaming scene had nothing to do with it. The APUs in consoles use netbook class processors. Jaguar was more an SoC architecture in the likes of Intel's Atom. A Pentium Dual Core can outpace an AMD Jaguar easily.

Multithreading for games I would wager is a trickier business than rendering a video as well. Data is shared in games, requiring semaphores and synching. This kills multithreading performance.

I don't know if there's a game considered a "multithreading king", but I'm just going to pick Ashes of the Singularity since supposedly it has hundreds of entities that are actual entities, unlike Total War where they're kind of entities. But TechSpot and PCPer, and  showed an i3 can dance around an FX 8350

Excel is multi-thread too. MOAR COARS!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Excel is multi-thread too. MOAR COARS!

If your sheet is large enough such that you need multi-cores to get any appreciable performance, I think you're doing it wrong.

But eh, I'm not an bean counter. And Excel has some antiquated restrictions that still boggle my mind.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If your sheet is large enough such that you need multi-cores to get any appreciable performance, I think you're doing it wrong.

But eh, I'm not an bean counter. And Excel has some antiquated restrictions that still boggle my mind.

I don't use excel that much, sometimes. Just saying that even excel is multi-threaded. So your single thread is more important is outdated. Excel 2007 can support up to 1024 threads. And it's not doing something wrong. It's call moving forward, taking advantage of current technology.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I don't use excel that much, sometimes. Just saying that even excel is multi-threaded. So your single thread is more important is outdated. Excel 2007 can support up to 1024 threads.

And Firefox spawns 100+ threads, but that doesn't mean it uses multiple cores effectively. Microsoft Word uses 18 threads, but feeding it into a Xeon 18-core won't make it run better than running it on a Core i3.  The fact is, Excel is an I/O bound program most of the time and the intense computational use cases are rare. It can use multiple cores, but it's not a strong argument that multiple cores is now king.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And Firefox spawns 100+ threads, but that doesn't mean it uses multiple cores effectively. Microsoft Word uses 18 threads, but feeding it into a Xeon 18-core won't make it run better than running it on a Core i3.  The fact is, Excel is an I/O bound program most of the time and the intense computational use cases are rare. It can use multiple cores, but it's not a strong argument that multiple cores is now king.

Says single core is still king and yet you have Core i7 6700 quad core with HT

9_9

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Says single core is still king and yet you have Core i7 6700 quad core with HT

9_9

Because I play games and dabble in high performance applications from time to time?

People getting giddy on this subject bugs me because they just see numbers and go "well it obviously should be able to do this better" without digging deeper into the subject.

Do you know why programs like video encoding and file compression work amazingly well with multiple cores? Because the problem includes data sets that can easily be broken up and are independent of each other. With a large enough cache, you can reduce the memory bottleneck while the processor spends all of its time on part of the task in cache. If your problem can be broken up in that fashion, not only is parallelization stupid easy, but performance per core goes up.

Again, if cores were king, how come AMD's FX 8000 series isn't still kicking ass against Intel's CPUs? Because its single threaded performance sucks. Case in point:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1340?vs=1783

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Because I play games and dabble in high performance applications from time to time?

People getting giddy on this subject bugs me because they just see numbers and go "well it obviously should be able to do this better" without digging deeper into the subject.

Do you know why programs like video encoding and file compression work amazingly well with multiple cores? Because the problem includes data sets that can easily be broken up and are independent of each other. With a large enough cache, you can reduce the memory bottleneck while the processor spends all of its time on part of the task in cache. If your problem can be broken up in that fashion, not only is parallelization stupid easy, but performance per core goes up.

Again, if cores were king, how come AMD's FX 8000 series isn't still kicking ass against Intel's CPUs? Because its single threaded performance sucks. Case in point:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1340?vs=1783

Don't give a damn about stupid numbers, pie charts, or bar graphs. It's time to accept that mult-core will one day take over single cores.

Single core king is dead!

Long live multi-core King!

MOAR COARS!!!!111!11

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Don't give a damn about stupid numbers, pie charts, or bar graphs. It's time to accept that mult-core will one day take over single cores.

Single core king is dead!

Long live multi-core King!

MOAR COARS!!!!111!11

Okay, so we should be using quad core Atoms? That's fine for 99% of the world?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Okay, so we should be using quad core Atoms? That's fine for 99% of the world?

No quad core Atoms are garbage, need something with more horsepower like Xeon PHI!

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Coffee lake? that's a hipster mainstream by default!

Details separate people.

On 11/19/2016 at 8:27 AM, SamStrecker said:

Coffee lake? Really?

They liked coffee way before anyone else. They are trying to just bring it back now. It's kind of the in thing now. /spoken in hipster

57 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Why are Atoms garbage? They have the same amount of cores as an i5.

because single core performance is shit.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But this guy said single core performance is stupid.

you need good single core performance to get good multi core

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Our power supply engineers would like a word with you :P