Should I turn on G-Sync when playing FPS games?

lin9406

Hello,

I got a 2550x1440 144hz g-sync monitor. I mainly play FPS, MOBA, and RPG games. I know turning on G-sync in RPG games is beneficial. When it comes to FPS and MOBA (Competitive games) I am confused. I am using GTX 1080 SLI. So when I play competitive games, my FPS usually exceed my refresh rate.

1. Is enabling gsync in competitive games gonna introduce input lag? Should I turn on vsync in the Nvidia control panel as well? Which option has the lowest input lag?

I saw Linus made a video to test, at higher FPS, g-sync should be turn on with vsync to reduce input lag. But when I asked Nvidia they said I should never turn on vsync

2. Since my FPS exceed my refresh rate, if I cap my FPS, would I increase Input lag? I saw a video that said more fps can reduce input lag. But i am not sure if it is true. If it is not, then uncapped fps just gonna turn into heat.

Generally you should have G-sync and v-sync on. G-sync will take care of 20 ish to 144 and v-sync will limit the FPS output of the GPU to the refresh of the screen 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Generally you should have G-sync and v-sync on. G-sync will take care of 20 ish to 144 and v-sync will limit the FPS output of the GPU to the refresh of the screen 

not for FPS though. especially competitive FPS games

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

No, one or the other. 

Gsync is meant to be enabled with a FPS lower than your monitor refresh rate, Vsync is meant to be enabled with a FPS higher than your refresh rate

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Yes more fps can reduce input lag. I would not have g sync or v sync on for any FPS game that you hope to play more competitively at

26 minutes ago, Synawke said:

Yes more fps can reduce input lag. I would not have g sync or v sync on for any FPS game that you hope to play more competitively at

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

No, one or the other. 

Gsync is meant to be enabled with a FPS lower than your monitor refresh rate, Vsync is meant to be enabled with a FPS higher than your refresh rate

So when I play non competitive games and want to use gsync, should I enable vsync or just cap my fps?

1 minute ago, lin9406 said:

So when I play non competitive games and want to use gsync, should I enable vsync or just cap my fps?

if you have a 60hz monitor, cap your FPS at 55-58fps or so when using gysnc, when using vsync, you should have atleast 65-70fps. 

Use Gsync tho.

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

GSYNC = If you can't reach consistently the fps that your monitor's refresh rate requires. (=makes the game to not stutter)

VSYNC = If you easily get the fps and you play it casually. (=solves tearing, puts less load on your gpu = longer lifespan, less noise, consumes less power = you're saving the environment, yay!)

Neither = When you play competitively and need to reduce the input lag to absolute minimum. In such case, you go down with the settings, cap the fps at like 300 fps and try to keep it up there consistently. It's quite important for games like csgo if you play competitively and you're cereal with it. I'm not sure how much it's important for the MOBA games though.

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

4 minutes ago, tohico said:

GSYNC = If you can't reach consistently the fps that your monitor's refresh rate requires. (=makes the game to not stutter)

VSYNC = If you easily the fps and you play it casually. (=solves tearing, puts less load on your gpu = longer lifespan, less noise, consumes less power = you're saving the environment, yay!)

Neither = When you play competitively and need to reduce the input lag to absolute minimum. In such case, you go down with the settings, cap the fps at like 300 fps and try to keep it up there consistently. It's quite important for games like csgo if you play competitively and you're cereal with it. I'm not sure how much it's important for the MOBA games though.

Thanks for replying. So when I play competitively. I should turn off all the sync features. How about when I play RPG game like dark souls 3, should I enable vsync with gsync? or just gsync?

6 hours ago, lin9406 said:

Thanks for replying. So when I play competitively. I should turn off all the sync features. How about when I play RPG game like dark souls 3, should I enable vsync with gsync? or just gsync?

Isn't dark souls a casual game? So no need for the absolutely minimal input lag. It's important for csgo because when you play competitive at higher ranks, everyone takes it too competitively. So the proper settings matter a lot there. But it starts to not matter even with fps multiplayer games like cod and bf if you're actually not going on tournaments for the competitive plays. Nobody takes these games seriously on random online plays and such games aren't even optimized for the very low input lag to begin with. So don't worry about this approach that much :)

Also one thing to keep in mind, the input lag for gsync is quite lower than for vsync. But it's still there. Regarding your initial question, you may find this reddit post, or the article they're referring to, helpful.

Edit: And to the question more directly, I seem that I missed it before. You should be fine running it with gsync only, there's should be no tearing if you stay below your refresh rate. If you notice any issues in this regard, you can always turn the vsync on.

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

11 hours ago, tohico said:

Isn't dark souls a casual game? So no need for the absolutely minimal input lag. It's important for csgo because when you play competitive at higher ranks, everyone takes it too competitively. So the proper settings matter a lot there. But it starts to not matter even with fps multiplayer games like cod and bf if you're actually not going on tournaments for the competitive plays. Nobody takes these games seriously on random online plays and such games aren't even optimized for the very low input lag to begin with. So don't worry about this approach that much :)

Also one thing to keep in mind, the input lag for gsync is quite lower than for vsync. But it's still there. Regarding your initial question, you may find this reddit post, or the article they're referring to, helpful.

Edit: And to the question more directly, I seem that I missed it before. You should be fine running it with gsync only, there's should be no tearing if you stay below your refresh rate. If you notice any issues in this regard, you can always turn the vsync on.

This is pretty interesting. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. So it's alright to use g-sync while playing as long as the frames do not hit the max fps cap?

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

11 hours ago, DND said:

This is pretty interesting. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. So it's alright to use g-sync while playing as long as the frames do not hit the max fps cap?

Yes, unless you need extremely low input lag (the input lag is very negligible for gsync though, unlike vsync) and you shouldn't worry about the max fps either. With gsync on, the frames caps at your refresh way anyway so there's no issue there either. Or that's at least how it works in my case. Theoretically, there's no need even for the vsync to turn on additionally either unless you notice some issues.

19 hours ago, tohico said:

Yes, unless you need extremely low input lag (the input lag is very negligible for gsync though, unlike vsync) and you shouldn't worry about the max fps either. With gsync on, the frames caps at your refresh way anyway so there's no issue there either. Or that's at least how it works in my case. Theoretically, there's no need even for the vsync to turn on additionally either unless you notice some issues.

Well in my case i the frame outputs when i turn on the fps counter on my monitor or using fraps the fps was above the max refresh on my monitor when i don't set a max frame in cs go and in other games too. 

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD