Optimizing BOINC for SETI

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
1 minute ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Is their a way to make the GPU usage stay at 90-100%? I am running world community grid also so thats why the CPU is at 100%.

That depends. If the reason the GPU is not pinned at 100% is, say, lack of a CPU core, then you could reduce the number of active tasks to free up a core to feed the GPU. However, if the usage is bouncy because of the way the app works (say, it's writting stuff to disk or processing stuff on the CPU before sending it to the GPU, perhaps loading things to RAM, etc), then there's no way to force a constant 100% load without developing a new app. Once again, here's the wrong place to ask: the proper one is the SETI forums.

5 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Also if possible can i make it not use my integrated graphics?

On your preferences page in the SETI website, uncheck the "use Intel GPU" box. And save your changes.

Hi, i wanted to know if there is some way to make SETI use my 970m better and more CPU power. SETI uses .2 CPU and the gtx 970m on one task at a time. The 970m's usage is jumping from 90 to 10 and doesn't use it very well. SETI also uses the integreted graphics on a separate task and .003 CPU. Can i make it use more somehow in the app_info file or something? Thanks.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

SETI uses .2 CPU and the gtx 970m on one task at a time. The 970m's usage is jumping from 90 to 10 and doesn't use it very well. SETI also uses the integreted graphics on a separate task and .003 CPU.

Are you getting those CPU usage numbers from the BOINC client or are you reading them off of Task manager? If it's from BOINC, then forget those numbers: BOINC doesn't actually read anything, it just spits a random number based on... based on...... uh......... anyway, ignore whatever BOINC says about "0.xxx CPU + 1 GPU", that's incorrect info (in fact, you can even force that number to show whatever you want it to).

At any rate, I'd suggest asking on the SETI forums, not here. If there's a community that knows how to optimize for SETI, you bet that it's theirs, not ours.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Are you getting those CPU usage numbers from the BOINC client or are you reading them off of Task manager? If it's from BOINC, then forget those numbers: BOINC doesn't actually read anything, it just spits a random number based on... based on...... uh......... anyway, ignore whatever BOINC says about "0.xxx CPU + 1 GPU", that's incorrect info (in fact, you can even force that number to show whatever you want it to).

At any rate, I'd suggest asking on the SETI forums, not here. If there's a community that knows how to optimize for SETI, you bet that it's theirs, not ours.

Is their a way to make the GPU usage stay at 90-100%? I am running world community grid also so thats why the CPU is at 100%. Also if possible can i make it not use my integrated graphics?

BTW GPU1 is the 970m GPU2 is the Intel HD5600

crunching.png

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

Is their a way to make the GPU usage stay at 90-100%? I am running world community grid also so thats why the CPU is at 100%.

That depends. If the reason the GPU is not pinned at 100% is, say, lack of a CPU core, then you could reduce the number of active tasks to free up a core to feed the GPU. However, if the usage is bouncy because of the way the app works (say, it's writting stuff to disk or processing stuff on the CPU before sending it to the GPU, perhaps loading things to RAM, etc), then there's no way to force a constant 100% load without developing a new app. Once again, here's the wrong place to ask: the proper one is the SETI forums.

5 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Also if possible can i make it not use my integrated graphics?

On your preferences page in the SETI website, uncheck the "use Intel GPU" box. And save your changes.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

7 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

When I'm not running WCG and the cpu is almost idle it still does that with the GPU usage. I've seen people saying to put stuff in app_info.xml to optimize it but I have no idea how to do that.

Asus GU501gm

10 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

I've seen people saying to put stuff in app_info.xml to optimize it but I have no idea how to do that.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_forum.php?id=10

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Ok, sorry for dragging that on. Thanks!

Asus GU501gm