UK Mass Surveillance Law has just passed the Parliament's Approval

5 hours ago, Kobathor said:

Funny (or not funny) thing is: the way the UK is going, I would not be surprised at all if that was reality in a few years. 

Oh yeah, I was actually being serious. I'm sure once they see VPN usage shoot up and data collection shoot down they'll but measures in place to stop people using VPNs.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Sure glad i dont live in engla...oh wait i live in thr u.s ....shit

Guess both countries are screwed eh ?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I would assume this law authorizes physical access to a target device or PC without owner consent. In which case, how to protect the PC from being tampered with while away from home. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

politics in the UK has always been silly. one politician lost his job because a picture of him eating a sandwhich got shown about. Its just a normal guy at a restaurant eating a sandwhich, nothing abnormal about it.

26 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

politics in the UK has always been silly. one politician lost his job because a picture of him eating a sandwhich got shown about. Its just a normal guy at a restaurant eating a sandwhich, nothing abnormal about it.

Well, no. That was Ed Miliband former leader of the Labour Party, he didn't lose his job, he lost an election. Oh and eating a sandwich wasn't the reason. haha.

Also, he continued to work as an MP. So he didn't even lose a job.

You'd think the surveillance agencies would at least be so decent as to fund themselves with all the industrial espionage they do, but no.

They're building huge data centres to gather and store information about how to manipulate you, your lawmakers, judges and your press and then have the audacity to hand you the bill.

Actual terrorists are already using VPNs and encrypted services to communicate so this is useless.

If the authoritarian left and right could die out, that would be great.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

49 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Stop using iOS, stock Android, Microsoft Windows, and Mac OS, and while you’re at it stop using Skype, Chrome, and Flash too. A VPN is fucking useless if the system you work on reports everything you do anyway.

Lets not mention they could probably crack those VPNs anyway.

RIP free speech and privacy. How you doing mr orwell. The world ended as a strange mix of Brave New World style consumerism and orwellian surveillance.

- snip-

On 17-11-2016 at 2:21 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Well, when I go to the UK for uni, I'll be sure to buy me a tunnel bear Pro subscription.

you're better of creating your own VPN, lots of VPN services claim that they don't store data but who can tell you if thats true? will they let you look at their servers? its not like the government is going to protect that claim because they WANT them to log it. there just is a huge conflict of interests there. 

15 minutes ago, tlink said:

you're better of creating your own VPN, lots of VPN services claim that they don't store data but who can tell you if thats true? will they let you look at their servers? its not like the government is going to protect that claim because they WANT them to log it. there just is a huge conflict of interests there. 

The simple fact is, any business who wants to operate in a foreign territory has to abide by any relevant laws imposed inside the territory, this was proven by the whole Valve refund debacle.

Luckily enough it seems as though the wording in the law is very specific in that it states ISPs so I see no reason (yet) why this law would affect any VPN or Proxy service based outside of the UK. With that said it is infinitely easier to amend a law than it is to pass one and now the law is in place there's no real limit to who or what services they can add to it

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Nicholatian said:

It appears that we have reached the edge, that zenith where stimuli and comatose collide.
Forty years ago, the man proclaimed the age of the gross to be upon us, and even though the man was destroying our heritage and insulting our intelligence…
That era has become very real.
We labor for pleasure and abhor the guilt of pressure.
My generation will go down as the architects of contemporary disgust.
Some have fought and died,
Others have allowed the strong to be butchered for a price they themselves don't care about and will never understand.
I myself am beleaguered by the selfish face of a kind of man that is not mankind.
Distrust in information,
Fundamentalism of opinion,
Catastrophic boredom, and a fanatical devotion to that which does not matter.

Whats the source for that? Dont remeber it in BNW

- snip-

4 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

Stop using iOS, stock Android, Microsoft Windows, and Mac OS, and while you’re at it stop using Skype, Chrome, and Flash too. A VPN is fucking useless if the system you work on reports everything you do anyway.

And perhaps eventually, computer programming will require licensure. 

Actually, surprised Britain didn't already allude to that yet. 

My eyes see the past…

57 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

The capitalist machine won’t like that, because it financially doesn’t make sense. So I doubt something like that will happen when you put it in the context of companies’ bottom lines.

In that case, at least we can still bend PCs to our will for awhile longer then. :)

My eyes see the past…

Guess which industry is behind this fiasco(the terrorist excuse is pure BS as many of you pointed out)...

Wait for it ...

The UN will pass a similar bill concerning the rest of the world ...

And people thought I was nuts for saying that the US giving up the control to ICANNS was a bad thing ...

lol.........

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

23 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Wait for it ...

And people thought I was nuts for saying that the US giving up the control to ICANNS was a bad thing ...

lol.........

Explain how these 2 things are even remotely related?

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Wait for it ...

lol.........

nah, only the US will do it (if they've not already done it) and Australia will follow behind it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

nah, only the US will do it (if they've not already done it) and Australia will follow behind it

I will most strongly dis-agree with that.

With the uproar of what happened with the NSA before and with the current incoming administration such a thing will not happen.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 18/11/2016 at 2:41 AM, Murdoch said:

I guess it comes down to how much of a threat you perceive terrorism to be, personally I judge it to be almost a non-existent threat on a personal level. Beyond that, I'd say it's a miniscule threat to a functioning Western Democracy. And there's far better ways of dealing with the threat, than to start spying on your own citizens. It's a tired point (and many people have made it better than I can), but fixing Western Foreign policy would be the starting point. It amazes me, genuinely, how many people miss that blindingly obvious point, and would rather walk naked through airports than even consider "bombing countries back to the stoneage" installing a token democracy then fucking off, or arming rebels to incite regime change, dropping some bombs then leaving them to it, might come back to haunt us.

So, it's an easy question for me, giving up our rights for the "cause" of improved safety from the "terrorists" is a significantly greater threat to Western Democracy. And I seriously question the motives of those in charge that continue to use the overplayed threat of terrorism, to diminish those rights.

What a lot of people fail to realise as well is that we are creating these tools that can get misused by a policeman checking on his ex or by  future government body that wants to install a dictatorship. Problem with this information is that once it is out there, it is out there. there is no going back from it. How long till a less than scrupulous government (let's say le pen in france) stats using these tools to prevent opposition members to gain political traction by exposing everything about them? You are giving away to those in power a very effective  mean for them to keep their power.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

52 minutes ago, Miguel Batista said:

What a lot of people fail to realise as well is that we are creating these tools that can get misused by a policeman checking on his ex or by  future government body that wants to install a dictatorship. Problem with this information is that once it is out there, it is out there. there is no going back from it. How long till a less than scrupulous government (let's say le pen in france) stats using these tools to prevent opposition members to gain political traction by exposing everything about them? You are giving away to those in power a very effective  mean for them to keep their power.

Honestly... democracies are inherently fragile. If you truly want to overthrow them, you can. It just takes the right group of people, some support in the right places, and the will to do it. You don't require these bunch of anti-privacy laws. The fact that some things are illegal doesn't mean you cannot do them.

On 11/17/2016 at 8:16 AM, suicidalfranco said:

also, history repeating itself

-snip

I hope the UK enjoys a fascist/communist style totalitarian government.

Because that is what you now have. You (people of the UK) were warned when they took your firearms from you, you didn't listen, you were told that it wouldn't stop there, and it hasn't. You are now living in a police state, with zero capability of fighting back against the regime. Congratulations.

Try to organize protests? Not a chance, because they'll be watching, listening, and waiting to arrest you before it happens, try to get the media in with you? Not a chance, because they'll be watching, waiting, and listening to arrest the media alongside you (or just threaten them into silence). History has repeated itself so very many times now, and you still though you knew better.

You no longer have free speech, you no longer have any freedom beyond what they want you to think you have.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

12 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I hope the UK enjoys a fascist/communist style totalitarian government.

Because that is what you now have. You (people of the UK) were warned when they took your firearms from you, you didn't listen, you were told that it wouldn't stop there, and it hasn't. You are now living in a police state, with zero capability of fighting back against the regime. Congratulations.

Try to organize protests? Not a chance, because they'll be watching, listening, and waiting to arrest you before it happens, try to get the media in with you? Not a chance, because they'll be watching, waiting, and listening to arrest the media alongside you (or just threaten them into silence). History has repeated itself so very many times now, and you still though you knew better.

You no longer have free speech, you no longer have any freedom beyond what they want you to think you have.

Oh please... this silly fascination with firearms. As if a few pistols and shotguns are of any help against a professional fighting force driving around in MRAPs. Unless you can get your hands on heavy weaponry and sizable amounts of explosives - almost impossible without support from another state - , it's a hopeless afair.

Either way the main problem in 'rising up' is always overcoming the collective action problem. If you cannot do that, no amount of guns will help you. If you can, you won't need the guns, as most militaries / soldiers are rather hesitant in shooting large numbers of their fellow nationals.

Unless the government starts recruiting foreigners into the army and hiring large amounts of contractors/mercenaries (like some gulf states)... then it's time to worry.

14 hours ago, Jovidah said:

Honestly... democracies are inherently fragile. If you truly want to overthrow them, you can. It just takes the right group of people, some support in the right places, and the will to do it. You don't require these bunch of anti-privacy laws. The fact that some things are illegal doesn't mean you cannot do them.

It's not about overthrowing democracy per se. It's the potential for control within the democratic system that concerns me, and it's a problem that has been known for hundreds if not thousands of years.

The problem with democracy is simple, if at any stage the minority of people control most of the wealth and resources, the majority can just band together to enact policy that shares the wealth. So if you have a system with high levels of inequality (which we do), you've got two options to keep the peace, you actively reduce the level of democracy afforded to most people, while weighting the influence of those that have wealth, while also increasing levels of policing. Or you can enact policy that actively reduces inequality.

Like the media has been used before, these sort of new tools will be increasingly useful if we go down route one. Not to overthrow democracy, but to shape opinion to control and to limit dissent.

The way I see it, we've been living in a plutocracy for a while now, yet look at Brexit, look at Trump, there are the signs of a mass movement against this. How is this going to play out, it's going to come to a head, sooner or later. If you could exert influence, if you had extortionate wealth, what policies would you want at this moment in time?