How to install a fan on a passive cooled gpu

George_Bud

Do you guys know any good video on this, or maybe know how to do it and you could tell me ? Thank you. :)

4 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

when in doubt, zipties.

zipties not enough? you might want to use more zipties.

and if that's still not enough..... Your not using enough zipties 

14 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

ziptie a 120mm bad boy to that thing.

Only thing really

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

A passive cooled GPU should not need extra cooling then overall, unless your systemtemps are very high for some reason....

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

7 minutes ago, Gonio said:

A passive cooled GPU should not need extra cooling then overall, unless your systemtemps are very high for some reason....

The gpu temps are around 60-70°C.

During load? Then it is still safe. Problem with just stripping a fan is that it might not cool the parts it really need, and would work similar to just normal airflow in the case.

What GPU is it then btw? Not so many passive GPU's these days. Could always check out liquidcooling solutions, but that costs a bunch, and must obviously also fit.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

9 hours ago, Gonio said:

During load? Then it is still safe. Problem with just stripping a fan is that it might not cool the parts it really need, and would work similar to just normal airflow in the case.

What GPU is it then btw? Not so many passive GPU's these days. Could always check out liquidcooling solutions, but that costs a bunch, and must obviously also fit.

During idle the temps are 60-70°C but if i cool it with a small fan it is around 40-50°C. The gpu is a nVIDIA 7200 GS 256 MB. Old school. :)

18 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

ziptie a 120mm bad boy to that thing.

On my old Radeon 9200se, I installled the cooler/fan from an old AMD K6, then proceeded to apply a stupidly high core overclock to the thing.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

7 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

On my old Radeon 9200se, I installled the cooler/fan from an old AMD K6, then proceeded to apply a stupidly high core overclock to the thing.

Did it worked ?

1 hour ago, George_Bud said:

Did it worked ?

I played halo 1 on a seriously potato card, so yes.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

10 hours ago, George_Bud said:

During idle the temps are 60-70°C but if i cool it with a small fan it is around 40-50°C. The gpu is a nVIDIA 7200 GS 256 MB. Old school. :)

Hehe, Well if a small fan helps you could try a  bigger fan that has high airflow.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

4 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Hehe, Well if a small fan helps you could try a  bigger fan that has high airflow.

I want to change the heat sink and put the largest fan I have. Because I want to overclock it. :3:D