My power went out...but only in 2 rooms?

kelvinhall05

This afternoon I was testing an iMac with some old hdd's I had lying around, when the power suddenly goes out. I was confused, because the lights in the rest of the house were still working. Could I have overloaded the curcuit in some way? Is this permanent??!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

No, you either kicked a breaker or blown a fuse.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, you either kicked a breaker or blown a fuse.

Uh oh...is that really bad??!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

A breaker probably tripped, so check the breaker/fuse box. If you don't know anything about electrical systems then don't mess with it and find someone to check the breaker/fuse box for you. If you don't know what you're doing and touch the wrong thing in a breaker box it can kill you deader than Jacob Marley.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

This afternoon I was testing an iMac with some old hdd's I had lying around, when the power suddenly goes out. I was confused, because the lights in the rest of the house were still working. Could I have overloaded the curcuit in some way? Is this permanent??!

You probably tripped a breaker, go check the breaker box in your house. (Or blew a fuse if your house has fuses instead of breakers)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, DevilishBooster said:

A breaker probably tripped, so check the breaker/fuse box. If you don't know anything about electrical systems then don't mess with it and find someone to check the breaker/fuse box for you. If you don't know what you're doing and touch the wrong thing in a breaker box it can kill you deader than Jacob Marley.

IDK anything about fuses and stuff. Will it cost a lot to fix it is (one of) my questions?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

IDK anything about fuses and stuff. Will it cost a lot to fix it is (one of) my questions?

If it's a breaker no you just flick the switch back on but for a fuse maybe like a couple of dollars, just be sure to get the right one.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Just a note: before you reset any electrical circuit, make sure all the devices in the affected area are unplugged and/or switched off. You don't want to subject the circuit to the same power that caused it to fail again.

As I have said before, idk anything about these things. Is there a switch on my fuse box (big gray thing in my garage) that will reset it?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, W-L said:

If it's a breaker no you just flick the switch back on but for a fuse maybe like a couple of dollars, just be sure to get the right one.

How can I tell? Also, would it be a fast fix, as my family is moving on december 8th (london canada if your interested)

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

As I have said before, idk anything about these things. Is there a switch on my fuse box (big gray thing in my garage) that will reset it?

If it's a circuit breaker than it'll just be a switch that you can throw to the other side. If it's a fuse... you'll have to find a replacement. But I'm going to assume your home has a circuit breaker.

Uh oh...is that really bad??!

It means you ran too many electrical devices on a single circuit at one time, or something shorted out.

If your system shorted out, and that caused the kick or blow out, then it'd be bad.

IT'S VERY UNLIKELY THAT THIS HAPPENED

Find your breaker/fuse box.

If it's a breaker box, it'll have a bunch of switches. Look for the one that seems "stuck in the middle," it won't be in the 'ON' or 'OFF' position. Turn it off, then back on.

If it's a fuse box, it'll either have small fuses that screw in, little boxes that can be pulled out with cylindrical fuses, or just cylindrical fuses in plain site.

If they screw in, look in the exposed glass center. If the metal isn't one solid piece, that is the one to replace.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you are renting right now, talk to your landlord. Otherwise ask one of your neighbors (or a family member if they live nearby) if they can help. If it's just a breaker then all you have to do is flip it back to the closed position like the rest of them. If it's a fuse box then you will have to replace the fuse, so that will cost a little bit and you have to make sure that you have the right one, but if it is a fuse box then I would definitely have your landlord take care of it because that should fall under maintenance and you don't want to potentially put in the wrong kind of fuse.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How can I tell? Also, would it be a fast fix, as my family is moving on december 8th (london canada if your interested)

It's very straight forward, the fuses look like mini light bulbs, breakers will e a simple switch you can flick back to on. 

Theses are breakers:

5076351733_685085e95f.jpg

Usually, when a breaker is tripped, instead of being completely One side(like a light switch would look like), it will be in "the middle" facing you, neither ON or OFF. Just switch it back on, unplug whatever power hungry device you had plugged.

Fuse boxes are kind of a much older/rarely used type of breaker box, so if you do have actual fuses and just just a bunch of black ON/OFF switches, look for one that's burnt up I guess.

This is a Breaker
Image result for breaker

This is a fuse
Image result for fuse 15a breaker

As it is most like a 15A breaker, it means you've exceeded the amount of power the breaker can handle (something around 1500~1600W). Did you have a AC unit plugged in in the rooms that went dark? Hair dryer? Microwave? Vacuum cleaner? Some other high power device?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Thanks guys! My mom just came home and fixed it. Turns out it was a breaker box (phew!)

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Thanks guys! My mom just came home and fixed it. Turns out it was a breaker box (phew!)

How have we reached a point in society where people don't know what to do, or what even happened, with a circuit in their home tripped out? >_>

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I would of just gone to the breaker box myself and switched it back.

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

How have we reached a point in society where people don't know what to do, or what even happened, with a circuit in their home tripped out? >_>

I'm guessing so.. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

I would of just gone to the breaker box myself and switched it back.

Who needs things done when your mom can come home and do them for you!?

At the very least, the OP sounds like a kid, this would have been a prime opportunity to teach their child the basic adult skill of 'Household electrical circuits and how to reset them'. :x

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Who needs things done when your mom can come home and do them for you!?

At the very least, the OP sounds like a kid, this would have been a prime opportunity to teach their child the basic adult skill of 'Household electrical circuits and how to reset them'. :x

Your very right, I'm only 11

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈