Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glenwing

"2K" does not mean 2560×1440

10 hours ago, beakhole said:

The title to this post is silly. Anyone who says that is silly. 2K means 2560x1440, sorry guys. It means 2k in the same way that the word "D'oh" ended up appearing in dictionaries with an official meaning after the Simpson's had been playing for 10 years - it is the meaning we've assigned to it as silly humans and that's just the way it is. People bothered by 2k referring to 2560x1440 have OCD or are trying to prove that they know stuff about computers that you don't know - either way they are the silliest of the sillies. 

Yeah... One centimeter means 13 mm. Not 10. So anyone telling you 1 cm = 10 mm are just trying to prove they know more physics than you. Also, the Earth is flat and vaccines cause autism and can only be cured by drinking colloidal silver water.

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus M5A97 R2.0

CPU: AMD FX-8320 OC 4.1 ghz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB OC 1726 Mhz

GPU: Asus GTX 970 4 GB Strix  OC

Case: Cooler Master Elite 330 ATX

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 rpm

PSU: OCZ 600W Steath Xtreme 

Display: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO in push-pull

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone: Zoom H4n

Backup Headset: Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma

I know this thread is a bit old but I have been having this discussion with other people recently and for the benefit of the OP in the usage in Cinematography section - if RED, Canon and Blackmagic aren't enough for some reason:

Arri

http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/tools/arri_formats_datarate_calculator/

(just pick ALEXA 65 or AMIRA and see the resolutions - moreover it's clear as day that they use "K" as an approximation since you have 2.2k, 2.8k, 3.2k etc.)

Sony

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/shoulder-camcorders/pxw-z450#ProductSpecificationsBlock-pxw-z450 

Sony’s ground-breaking PXW-Z450 combines 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) with superbly balanced shoulder-mount ergonomics and a versatile 2/3-inch B4 lens mount. It’s a robust, high performance acquisition tool for 4K and HD news, documentaries, live events and general field production.

The PXW-Z450 records 4K QFHD (3840x2160) at 50p/59.94p

If RED, Arri, Sony, Canon and Blackmagic aren't enough then nothing is enough ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

I know this thread is a bit old but I have been having this discussion with other people recently and for the benefit of the OP in the usage in Cinematography section - if RED, Canon and Blackmagic aren't enough for some reason:

Arri

http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/tools/arri_formats_datarate_calculator/

(just pick ALEXA 65 or AMIRA and see the resolutions - moreover it's clear as day that they use "K" as an approximation since you have 2.2k, 2.8k, 3.2k etc.)

Sony

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/shoulder-camcorders/pxw-z450#ProductSpecificationsBlock-pxw-z450 

Sony’s ground-breaking PXW-Z450 combines 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) with superbly balanced shoulder-mount ergonomics and a versatile 2/3-inch B4 lens mount. It’s a robust, high performance acquisition tool for 4K and HD news, documentaries, live events and general field production.

The PXW-Z450 records 4K QFHD (3840x2160) at 50p/59.94p

If RED, Arri, Sony, Canon and Blackmagic aren't enough then nothing is enough ;-)

What exactly is the point your'e trying to make?

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What exactly is the point your'e trying to make?

The same point @Glenwing made when he wrote the original post. Under the section of usage of "k" in cinematography he gave specific examples of RED, Canon and Blackmagic Design.

I just thought that for more impact Arri and Sony could be added as some of the leading companies in the cinematography industry.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Finally somebody explained this.

I was annoyed by people referring 16:9 1440p as 2K. 2K means ~2000 pixels.

This could be DCi (2048) or ordinary (1920). It was originally meant for DCi, but can be used interchangeably. But 1440p 16:9 is certainly 2,5K due to 2560 pixels of width (in rare occasions 2592 pixels).

I've even seen a 3440 x 1440 monitor referred to as "2K" now, proving they really have absolutely no idea what it means and are just using it as a drop in replacement for 1440p

You know what would be less confusing to everyone that probably would be easier at this point that so many use it wrong?

Just make everyone stop using 2k and make them only say 1080 or 1440p instead.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 11/16/2016 at 10:23 AM, EminentSun said:

The whole 4k thing is kind of ridiculous. We should just be calling it 2160p, but nooooooo. Some marketing team decided to introduce a ridiculous moniker.

Yeah it is ridiculous but it takes longer to type 2160p i say 4k because everyone knows what it is same goes for 2k, fuck calling it the longest thing possible if you're going to do that may as well say 3840x2160p and 4096x2160p who would want to do that? if you're buying something the specs are on the box.

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600 (3.85GHz - 1.29v),   Aorus X370 K7,   HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 (2933MHz - 1.3v),   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce (2 GHz),   Corsair RM650x,   Cooler Master ML 120l RGB,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 Pro(◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 3 2200G (4GHz - 1.375v),   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 970 G1,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

14 hours ago, Wormhole said:

Yeah it is ridiculous but it takes longer to type 2160p i say 4k because everyone knows what it is same goes for 2k, fuck calling it the longest thing possible if you're going to do that may as well say 3840x2160p and 4096x2160p who would want to do that? if you're buying something the specs are on the box.

Well the problem is actually that a lot of people don't know what 4K or 2K means, hence this thread :P