"2K" does not mean 2560×1440

Glenwing

Everyone who refers to any monitor with a ratio other than 1:1 as 'Square' needs to be killed, then sent back to 1st grade to learn their shapes, then killed again. >_<

27 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Everyone who refers to any monitor with a ratio other than 1:1 as 'Square' needs to be killed, then sent back to 1st grade to learn their shapes, then killed again. >_<

That might be a little extreme :P 

Besides, have you actually come across this issue before?  I don't think I have...

Slightly on a tangent, idk about you but 4:3 looks pretty square to me until I see it compared to an actual square, or rotated into portrait more.  Just an interesting illusion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

30 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I used to make a point of saying "squarer" or "more square ratio" or "closer to square" or whatever every time... stopped after a while though. It's like making an effort to say "he or she" every time you say a generic sentence involving a pronoun... No need to bother, people know what you mean.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never thought of it that way, because there are different dimensions e.g. 4:3, 16:9, 16:10.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ReanimationXP said:

Why is this pinned when this topic is a dead horse?

Not sure, 2K is 2560x1440 anyway, thread makes no sense.

What has the status of beeing pinned anything to do with how active the post is?

As long people using the "k"s wrong with resolutions, and keep saying 2k is 2560x1440, this Topic has the right to stay Pinned forever.

Edit... see? Even though this topic is Pinned, people chose to stay dumb, instead of learning, that 2k is NOT 2560x1440.

i've never seen anyone refer to 1440p as "2K", but alright. Everyone who's browsing in LTT forums likely already knows (or should know) that "4k" is not a standard, and by extension "2k" isn't as well.

@ReanimationXP Now you have. ^^

@Cookybiscuit No. No it's not. It is absoluely not. Not even Close. Read the first Post please, and learn.Or just search on Wikipedia.2560x1440 is NOT 2k. Everyone who claims it is, doesn't know how resolutions work.

It means nothing. It's not a standard. It shouldn't be used except for loose approximations, which is the only place I've ever seen it used, and in that context it's totally fine.

Cooky is either trolling or just wrong. But I've never seen anyone (else) attach "2K" to a specific resolution. Ever.

Just now, Darkseth said:

@ReanimationXP Now you have. ^^

@Cookybiscuit No. No it's not. It is absoluely not. Not even Close. Read the first Post please, and learn.Or just search on Wikipedia.2560x1440 is NOT 2k. Everyone who claims it is, doesn't know how resolutions work.

It absolutely is, it's just a naming convention. There's nothing 'Full HD' about 1920x1080, and there's nothing 'HD Ready' about 1280x720, just like there is nothing '2K' about 2560x1440. To the average consumer, the terms Full HD, HD Ready and 2K all make perfect sense, even if they are technically incorrect. It doesn't matter that it isn't actually 2K, because it's easier to just say 2K than type out 2560x1440.

Tell that to the people, who always shorten every resolution there is to anything with a "k". Which is simply dumb...

No Resolution exists in the Consumer world, that is ANYTHING with a "k". That's all some cinema standards

Sadly, i have. Everywhere. In almost every Forum when people ask for new monitors, in Youtube comments. Be lucky, you haven't.

I've seen so many people doing this, such a Topic like this should be Pinned in every single Monitor-forum there is in the Internet lol

I can't count, how many times i've read something like "i ha ve a 1080p Monitor now, i want to upgrade to 2k"

1 minute ago, ReanimationXP said:

Cooky is either trolling or just wrong. But I've never seen anyone (else) attach "2K" to a specific resolution. Ever.

2K is pretty well understood as being 2560x1440 in my experience, not that I see it used a lot. If it wasn't understood this way this thread wouldn't exist in the first place, would it?

4 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

It absolutely is, it's just a naming convention. There's nothing 'Full HD' about 1920x1080, and there's nothing 'HD Ready' about 1280x720, just like there is nothing '2K' about 2560x1440. To the average consumer, the terms Full HD, HD Ready and 2K all make perfect sense, even if they are technically incorrect. It doesn't matter that it isn't actually 2K, because it's easier to just say 2K than type out 2560x1440.

And again: Read. The. First. Post.

2k. Is. Not. 2560x1440. 

If 2k is a convention for any resolution, it would be 1920x1080.

Because 4k is used for 3840x2160 (which is wrong too, but not as wrong as 2k for 1440p).

2k means approximately 2000 Pixels in the horizontals. Why should it be 2560 more than 1920?

If 4k = 3840, then 2k = 1920. If you don't understand that, return to Grade 4 please, and learn math..

And even THAT is not "correct", because 3840x2160 is NOT 4k. ^^

And btw: You are exactly talking about the reason why this Thread exists. because all those "consumers" (and you) are naming it WRONG.

720p IS HD. It was defined as HD.

Just like 1080p was named Full HD.

2560x1440 was NEVER defined as "2k", or specified or anything. It was specified as WQHD, or QHD (Quarter HD). 

It's just dumb people who named it 2k for no logical reason at all, and keep saying it.

Idk where you're picking up this information but the source is wrong and I've never seen it anywhere else. It's akin to when TV mfr's were selling "HD" TV's that were 720p. 720p was never considered HD until this was done by mfr's. A new term had to be created "Full HD" to distinguish 1080p from 720p.  4K is the same deal.  There are 2 popular resolutions you can attach to 4K, both are technically correct now, and ergo 4K is effectively meaningless. There are a multitude of resolutions that match the pixel count of 2x1080p, ergo a multitude of them could be "correct" or roughly correct, ergo 2K is also meaningless.

Just now, Darkseth said:

And again: Read. The. First. Post.

2k. Is. Not. 2560x1440. 

If 2k is a convention for any resolution, it would be 1920x1080.

Because 4k is used for 3840x2160 (which is wrong too, but not as wrong as 2k for 1440p).

2k means approximately 2000 Pixels in the horizontals. Why should it be 2560 more than 1920?

And btw: You are exactly talking about the reason why this Thread exists. because all those "consumers" (and you) are naming it WRONG.

720p IS HD. It was defined as HD.

Just like 1080p was named Full HD.

2560x1440 was NEVER defined as "2k", or specified or anything. It was specified as WQHD, or QHD (Quarter HD). 

It's just dumb people who named it 2k for no logical reason at all, and keep saying it.

It doesn't matter that it's wrong, 2K means 2560x1440, despite it not being so. In the same way, Windows 10 means Windows 10, even though it is not the tenth iteration of Windows. Walk into a store and ask for a 2K monitor and you'll probably find what you're after, walk into a store and ask for a PC with Windows 14 and that's probably not going to go as smoothly.

I personally don't use the term 2K, but crying at people because they do is kind of pointless. People still understand what it means, it's not like when someone makes a 'wat 2k monitor do i buy' thread on here people respond with 'wat is a 2k monitor guise'.

No, it does NOT mean that dude...

People might claim 2k as 2560x1440, but it is still wrong.

People claim the Earth is Flat. But that doesn't make it true, because some dumb idiots think they're right-.

Even if i walk into a store and ask for a 2k Monitor, and they give me a 2560x1440 Monitor, they are doing it wrong.

Small Spoiler here: Not everyone who works in Retail knows actually what he's talking about. In many cases, they don't even know what they sell, and they can't tell you the differences.

It's not pointless trying to edjucate other people. Except they are stubburn as you are :/

Idk what your Windows example is, that has nothing to do with it?

Windows 10 means Windows 10, because Microsoft named it Windows 10. they could've named it Windows Manbearpig, and it would be the correct Name.

I'm saying it the last time: Read, the fucking, first Post. It explains why dumb people are using 2k for 2560x1440, and it also explains why this is WRONG.

Why is this so difficult for you? Are you not able to understand English? Can't you just go to Page 1, and read the Post? If you don't understand anything, ask, and we will explain it to you.

When someone makes a "wat 2k monitor to buy", i would ask them, why they want a 1920x1080 Monitor, because that's the closest that is for 2k.

1440p is WQHD. Nothing else. Period.

6 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

No, it does NOT mean that dude...

People might claim 2k as 2560x1440, but it is still wrong.

People claim the Earth is Flat. But that doesn't make it true, because some dumb idiots think they're right-.

Even if i walk into a store and ask for a 2k Monitor, and they give me a 2560x1440 Monitor, they are doing it wrong.

Small Spoiler here: Not everyone who works in Retail knows actually what he's talking about. In many cases, they don't even know what they sell, and they can't tell you the differences.

It's not pointless trying to edjucate other people. Except they are stubburn as you are :/

Idk what your Windows example is, that has nothing to do with it?

Windows 10 means Windows 10, because Microsoft named it Windows 10. they could've named it Windows Manbearpig, and it would be the correct Name.

I'm saying it the last time: Read, the fucking, first Post. It explains why dumb people are using 2k for 2560x1440, and it also explains why this is WRONG.

Why is this so difficult for you? Are you not able to understand English? Can't you just go to Page 1, and read the Post? If you don't understand anything, ask, and we will explain it to you.

When someone makes a "wat 2k monitor to buy", i would ask them, why they want a 1920x1080 Monitor, because that's the closest that is for 2k.

1440p is WQHD. Nothing else. Period.

It isn't particularly important if people are wrong when they use the term 2K, because everyone still knows what they mean. Stopping people when they use the term 2K and addressing it like it means 1920x1080 is equivalent to the whole GNU/Linux vs Linux debate, nobody cares and it isn't important.

It kinda is tbh. You've gotta start somewhere. And this "somewhere" is exactly this Topic.

It's exactly the Earth is flat argument, 500 years ago. Everyone believed that, and suddenly someone claims earth is round.

Why stopping people, nobody cares and it isn't important?

Tbh? Dumb Idiots don't care.

It's a WRONG classification, why should you just accept something wrong, just because many idiots use that? Let them be udiots? Let them be uneducated?

There is literaly no reason to let them keep saying 2k, when they talk about a resolution that is NOT 2k.

YOU can feel free to ignore that of course. But then, why are you here?

This Topic is exactly about THIS: Educating people that 2k is NOT 2560x1440, and that is a technical FACT.

And then you come, and say 2k is 2560x1440.

If you want to stay Dumb, do it^^

But i don't think most others want to stay dumb. they simply don't know. And pretty much every User, i've ever cought on saying it wrong, listened to the explaination why it's wrong, and stopped saying "2k".

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

It's exactly the Earth is flat argument, 500 years ago. Everyone believed that, and suddenly someone claims earth is round.

Why stopping people, nobody cares and it isn't important?

Referring to the Earth as flat is not a naming convention, so your argument makes zero sense. The shape of the planet we live on is of significantly greater importance than someone referring to a monitor resolution using incorrect terminology, so it's also a stupid comparison.

Both of you are giving shit examples. Calling something 2K is like calling a car a "Porsche 911". It's somewhat correct and gets you in the ballpark, but a Porsche 911 is not a (single) car, as you can see here:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/

People who are in the industry know this, and will never call anything a "911" or even a "911 Carerra". They would call it a "2017 911 Carerra 4S".  911 is simply way too broad to be considered an actual reference to a car and is useless without more context.

it's exactly the same principe.

Your argument is: Let people call it Wrong forever because they are used to call it wrong.

Same with the flat earth.

People who call the Earth flat is wrong, even if they are used in saying that.

People who call 2560x1440 as 2k is wrong, even if they are used in saying that.

And tbh, this is all there is to it.

But i see.

You have chosen to be uneducated and stubborn. if it's that, that makes you happy.