high quality speakers

Dackzy

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

@KaminKevCrew @spwath

I am guessing you two know the most about speakers, so I have a question. I am most likely going for the Monitor Audio Bronze 2.

How do I hook them up to a normal stereo amp?

Spoiler

mabronze22.jpg

Also the speakers are 8 Ohm 100w, do you guys know a amp/receiver that would work well with them?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

@KaminKevCrew @spwath

I am guessing you two know the most about speakers, so I have a question. I am most likely going for the Monitor Audio Bronze 2.

How do I hook them up to a normal stereo amp?

Hide contents

mabronze22.jpg

Also the speakers are 8 Ohm 100w, do you guys know a amp/receiver that would work well with them?

They should have a little tab thing to bridge the two connections, then you can plug the speaker wire into either. 8 ohm 100w is pretty standard, so almost anything will work. What's your budget?

And do you know the sensitivity?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, spwath said:

They should have a little tab thing to bridge the two connections, then you can plug the speaker wire into either. 8 ohm 100w is pretty standard, so almost anything will work. What's your budget?

And do you know the sensitivity?

250USD for a amp or receiver. 90dB in sensitivity

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

250USD for a amp or receiver. 90dB in sensitivity

I would look used for receivers or amps. But that might be a bit harder in Denmark 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

I would look used for receivers or amps. But that might be a bit harder in Denmark 

yep, nobody knows what model they have, only the brand. Most of them are also very unknown, so basically zero info on the web.. xD 

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

yep, nobody knows what model they have, only the brand. Most of them are also very unknown, so basically zero info on the web.. xD 

Well I'm a bit more lacking with amps, so I'll let someone else take this.

But first, would you rather have a receiver with features like room correction, digital inputs, and surround capabilities, or just a plain amp with possibly better sound quality.

7 hours ago, Dackzy said:

it is USD, 500 danish wouldn't give me anything.

the klipsche speakers are pretty cheap here for some reason, they cost about 200$(1500dkk), but not sure that they would give me the audio quality jump that I want and the rear port is a little minus.

Well out of all them I suggested, the Polk Audio TSx 220B would be the highest quality speaker of the bunch but is very cheap considering your budget.

Now that I know it's in USD the Klipsch RB-61 II aren't bad! 330$ USD for a pair! Those have a 6.5" Woofer, and their signature horn tweeter.

They also have a front facing bass port which is nice.

There's also some options in JBL (Though I personally don't like the comapny) such as the JBL Studio 230 which are more or less the same specs as the Klipsch minus the horn style tweeter and rear bass port for 400$ USD a pair.

You could also take a look at the Infinity Reference 162 which are another 6.5" / 1" speaker with a bass port in the back, and are 450$ a pair.

MartinLogan might have something you like as well, though they are known to be a little overpriced in some cases.

Hope these are more helpful suggestions!

These should also fall in the same power category for amp requirement. Around 100W/channel is a safe bet.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

41 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

SNIP

Polk audio is not a option, since they don't sell their things over here.

As stated before I think rear ported would be a bad idea since I am going to put them so close to a wall. If I leave them on my desk then we are talking a MAX of 20cm away from a wall, if I use my wall mount then it is only 13cm away from the wall.

I am in Denmark, I cannot buy from the american amazon without getting a lot of VAT and the RB61 II are just above what I am willing to spend.

Kek I love JBL (atleast their pro line up), but no place where I can try them and so few reviews on them.

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention, I am moving to a bigger room early next year and I will be sitting 3-4m away from my speakers when I watch movies, but I will still use them close up for music and such. (I know some speakers are better for close up and some are better for longer distance)

5 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Maybe you could find a nice used Harman Kardon set?

not good enough xD 

Their speakers are more fashion than anything else.

But thanks anyways :) 

My experience with big name speakers companies have been less than stellar. I would avoid buying Klipsch or Polk Audio at full retail pricing. If you can avoid them used also, even better.

Also, the two pairs of inputs into each speaker means that they can be "bi-amped." There are two ways of setting this up.

• First, the little shiny metal that is connecting the two terminals is bridging them. So you only need to connect one pair from the amp to the speaker. However, this is not bi-amping. So if you find a 200w amp, you can "guesstimate" that each speaker can receiver up to 100w that is split between the tweeter and woofer.
  • The second option is to run two separate pairs of wires to each speaker. One for each pair of terminals. This means you will be running four runs in total, two to each speaker. They do make fancy cables that let you connect all four terminals and run a single line to each speaker, but these are specialty and generally expensive. This method is called bi-amping. Let's take that 200w amp again, now you can theoretically deliver up to 50w per line. But, tweeters don't really need 50w, so you usually end up delivering more power to the woofer as a result. I would say this method is preferred if you can find a receiver/amp that will support it.

I'm almost certain this receiver has the option to bi-amp, but it probably needs to be setup in the menu: http://www.dba.dk/receiver-marantz-sr4003/id-1028823900/ This receiver you linked was probably the best of the bunch.

This reminds me! If you buy a receiver... make sure the remote is functional! A receiver without a remote is USELESS. 

22 minutes ago, spwath said:

I would go marantz

new or used?

16 minutes ago, JohnT said:

What the hell is this? SVS is available in Denmark? Buy SVS!!!!!! How much does this cost? 

http://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=7564

709$ :D 

4000DKK is about as high as I want to go, about 575$, but since everything is more expensive over here, I said that my budget was 500$.

The thing is I don't know if 13cm or max 20cm is enough space

8 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

new or used?

The used one you linked

@spwath @JohnT @KaminKevCrew @SSL

So I have two options Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or PIEGA TMicro 4. The SVS Prime Bookshelf is also a option if they are worth the extra cash.

So what do you guys think?

19 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

@spwath @JohnT @KaminKevCrew @SSL

So I have two options Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or PIEGA TMicro 4. The SVS Prime Bookshelf is also a option if they are worth the extra cash.

So what do you guys think?

I would personally go with the Bronze 2. The larger driver will give you a better low end.

Honestly, you should stay in your budget on this one. I think that you will likely end up upgrading at some point anyway, so I'd stick with the Bronze 2. Plus, they look super good!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

I would personally go with the Bronze 2. The larger driver will give you a better low end.

Honestly, you should stay in your budget on this one. I think that you will likely end up upgrading at some point anyway, so I'd stick with the Bronze 2. Plus, they look super good!

well you see I am going to own these speakers for atleast 5 years, since I will soon become a engineering student, so I wont have money to upgrade when that happens, because I will save up every little penny I have, so if my laptops breaks then I will have money to buy a new one.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

so if my laptops breaks then I will have money to buy a new one.

Exactly why you should stay within your budget. 

I'm an engineering student! Welcome to the club xD

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well you see I am going to own these speakers for atleast 5 years, since I will soon become a engineering student, so I wont have money to upgrade when that happens, because I will save up every little penny I have, so if my laptops breaks then I will have money to buy a new one.

Dude. Don't buy these things before you go to college.