high quality speakers

Dackzy

So I am planning to upgrade my speakers, because their treble isn't that great. I am pretty sure that I want passive speakers, so I can exspand in the future.

I have a 400-500$ budget for the speakers.

They need to have a front bass port since they will be 20-30cm away from a wall.

Then a speaker amp or receiver, I think 250$ should be able to cover that.

NO: Logitech, razer, creative, corsair, AudioEngine etc

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Vintage speakers and receivers often have better sound for the price if you don't mind that they are bulky. I recomend checking your local listings.  

The AudioEngine A2s are supposed to be quite nice.

There's a few other bookshelf sized speakers that work as well, depends how much space you have.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, doomsriker said:

Vintage speakers and receivers often have better sound for the price if you don't mind that they are bulky. I recomend checking your local listings.  

I need them to fit on my desk or on this speaker wall mount.

I have no idea of what I should look for used, since most of them are from the 90s and early 2000s and speakers aren't my strong point.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

The AudioEngine A2s are supposed to be quite nice.

yeah not touching that shit. Overpriced and not better than what I have.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I need them to fit on my desk or on this speaker wall mount.

I have no idea of what I should look for used, since most of them are from the 90s and early 2000s and speakers aren't my strong point.

Any Bookshelf speakers would fit that mount. there are several from the 80s and 90s that have fantastic sound.  

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

What is your current setup?

Spoiler

setup.jpg

Those are some Argon A7460 speakers (Danish, active speakers)

6 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Any Bookshelf speakers would fit that mount. there are several from the 80s and 90s that have fantastic sound.  

I know, but it is more what models I should look for.

What's the issue with the treble... are you trying to push your speakers to high volumes? Tell us about your problem before I start throwing suggestions at you.

Just now, JohnT said:

What's the issue with the treble... are you trying to push your speakers to high volumes? Tell us about your problem before I start throwing suggestions at you.

The A7460 doesn't have a lot of treble at all. They have good mids and a really good bass, but the treble is too laid back, basically everyone says that the treble is weak and not very detailed at all. I generally like a flat or "neutral" sound.

No I do not push my speakers to high volumes. 

about 70dB, 0.5-1m away.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

The A7460 doesn't have a lot of treble at all. They have good mids and a really good bass, but the treble is too laid back, basically everyone says that the treble is weak and not very detailed at all. I generally like a flat or "neutral" sound.

No I do not push my speakers to high volumes. 

about 70dB, 0.5-1m away.

Have you had a look at the KEF Q300? I have been considering them for a while, might be worth looking into.

I love the KEF sound, and I really love their Uniq tweeter arrangement thingy.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

2 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Have you had a look at the KEF Q300? I have been considering them for a while, might be worth looking into.

yeah, but for some reason they sell for 840$ here, I can get them on the german amazon for 500€, a bit too much IMO, when you look at reviews

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

yeah, but for some reason they sell for 840$ here, I can get them on the german amazon for 500€, a bit too much IMO, when you look at reviews

Really??? That sucks!!! They're $399 on amazon US right now, and have been for over a month.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Really??? That sucks!!! They're $399 on amazon US right now, and have been for over a month.

yep. I took a look at used KEF speakers and I could only find the KEF Q1, the rest were floor speakers

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

Look used!

oh I am, just not a very big speaker head.

Just now, JohnT said:

But front ported speakers are not very common

I know, but it kinda needs to be front ported or else it would hurt the bass. I bought my argon speakers because they are front ported and they were on sale. That was about a year ago, luckily I can sell them for the same price as I paid.

oh I am, just not a very big speaker head.

I know, but it kinda needs to be front ported or else it would hurt the bass. I bought my argon speakers because they are front ported and they were on sale. That was about a year ago, luckily I can sell them for the same price as I paid.

You could also do sealed speakers.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

You could also do sealed speakers.

yeah. If that doesn't hurt the bass then sure.

You realize any sub you can afford / fit on the desk will be omnidirectional so its going to hit the wall which ever way the port is facing. Thats if you even get a ported sub.

Just now, Ahoy Hoy said:

You realize any sub you can afford / fit on the desk will be omnidirectional so its going to hit the wall which ever way the port is facing. Thats if you even get a ported sub.

That's not really relevant to the conversation at hand. Also, I don't think you understand the relevance of keeping ports away from walls.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

yeah. If that doesn't hurt the bass then sure.

Just checking that me reading this in my head in a sarcastic way is incorrect.
Do you think sealed subs "hurt the bass"?

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

That's not really relevant to the conversation at hand. Also, I don't think you understand the relevance of keeping ports away from walls.

yep ports and walls are not a great mix

1 minute ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Just checking that me reading this in my head in a sarcastic way is incorrect.
Do you think sealed subs "hurt the bass"?

We *still* aren't talking about subs here. Still not sure why you think it's relevant...

Hey! New SIgnature!