DIY NZXT hue+ are you interested?

dany_boy

Would you like a tutorial on how to build your own mood lighting set (similar to NZXT hue+) for about 20 bucks? The whole build would take about 1 hour for anyone who is mildly familiar to soldering and programming, and about 2 for complete noobs. The whole thing is for a first semester university project which I decided to expand. Obviously it has limited functionality when compared to an actual hue+, but it works nicely either way. I also developed a simple to use app that does everything automatically (no special knowledge required). The whole thing is based around and arduino and the WS2812 LEDS. Here are some pics of my current work: (up to about 500 LEDS can be controlled, I am only showing 5 for testing)

app demo.png

File_000.jpeg

I will gladly answer any questions you may have, and if you are interested I will keep refining the code and work on the tutorial.

Cheers

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

I would, I think it would be awesome. I am also interested in doing this for external lighting. I have a Hue+, but I also have 25 Ft of external lighting that I would love better control over. Maybe I could bridge this to do something like that. I just need to be able to set the RGB values from my computer. Something that I would be interested in would be Music/Sound reactive lighting.

I am very inexperienced with this stuff, so I would need your direction.

Anyway, back to you:

I think that this would be great for this community, and for people who like to do things themselves.

Computers r fun

I just bought a $5 rgb led strip. Does the same thing 

Everyone should own a vive.

I'd love a tutorial on this. While I don't actually need it, it seems like it would be a fun and educational project.

23 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

I just bought a $5 rgb led strip. Does the same thing 

The thing is that the "normal" LED strips you can get really cheap from china are not addressable, meaning the whole strip lights up the same colour, plus you cant control it from your computer. The magic behind this project is that every single LED can be individually controlled, thus giving you the option to create complex patterns, not only colours. If you don't want that, that's fine, its not for everyone.

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

I would like a tutorial on something like this. I have something similar to this, but it doesn't use individually addressable lights which make it not as nice.

• 3 months later...

@dany_boy looks awesome.

I would like to recreate your project (it looks really awesome) and I wanted to ask you if you could send me arduino code and that cool looking controll app you made.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

@dany_boy that looks great. Would love to have a tutorial about this. What arduino did u use and would that work on any arduino? Is ur code on Github or somewhere like that? What effects did u implement? Would this also work for several led strips, so like having 2 or more channels on the Hue+? 

Would love to hear more about this. 

@delware and @KrZaj Thanks for showing interest in the project! Sorry that I took so long to reply, but I've been having lots of work in college (differential equations and electronics are quite complex). You can find the most recent version of the code for both the app and the arduino here: https://github.com/Dany-Boy55/Addressable-WS2812-LED-controller. I'm currently working to add a second channel as well as some other effects. It can work with any arduino except the leonardo (for some reason C# has trouble with the serial port on that one). You can get an idea of the different effects available by looking at the app. Should you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer.

Cheers!

Oh and I forgot to mention the tutorial can be found here:

. It needs some updating though

Edited by dany_boy

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler