Apple Considers Wearables Expansion With Digital Glasses

Apple is still one of the world's most valuable companies with products such as the iPhone and Macbook driving their business

Augmented Reality is now one of the emerging technologies with companies like Microsoft and Magic Leap working on headsets

There were of course some attempts by companies like Google that didn't really end up blowing everyone's socks off (the Note 7 did ;))

Apple is now looking towards tapping into the market with reports of the company looking towards building their own set of wearable  

Apple Inc. is weighing an expansion into digital glasses, a risky but potentially lucrative area of wearable computing, according to people familiar with the matter.

While still in an exploration phase, the device would connect wirelessly to iPhones, show images and other information in the wearer’s field of vision, and may use augmented reality, the people said. They asked not to be identified speaking about a secret project.

Apple has talked about its glasses project with potential suppliers, according to people familiar with those discussions. The company has ordered small quantities of near-eye displays from one supplier for testing, the people said. Apple hasn’t ordered enough components so far to indicate imminent mass-production, one of the people added.

There are of course concerns being raised with whether the product will sell given competitor's previous attempts with the technology 

This is still has to be taken with a grain of salt given how young the market is and how far the technology has to go before being convenient 

Should Apple ultimately decide to proceed with the device, it would be introduced in 2018 at the earliest, another person said. The Cupertino, California-based company tests many different products and is known to pivot, pause, or cancel projects without disclosing them

There are still some hurdles that the company has to overcome, hurdles that have haunted the companies that failed to deliver

Apple’s effort may be more difficult because the chips, batteries and other components that will be available in a year or two may still not be small enough and powerful enough to build slim glasses capable of handling compelling AR experiences.

I personally look forward to the technology pushing forward given the many applications it has, and just how amazing the technology looks

The applications seem to be endless with hospitals using it to aid doctors and organizations like NASA designing and building spacecraft with the technology 

I've personally tried Google Glass and it did make me realize that the future is coming sooner than I expected albeit expensive

More and more companies seem to be jumping towards adapting the technology which makes the future a little brighter 

Sources: Bloomberg, The Verge, Business Insider (1) (2)  

Apple Glass now starting at $499.99 with right eye. Extra eye for additional $499.99. Wireless charger over Bluetooth for $299.99 thay can charge full battery for 5hrs! Battery life varies by model and upgrade to Apple Glass S to get larger glass and addional 5 minutes of battery. 

Sorry I'm tired 

49 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

If you think Google Glass users were "glassholes", you ain't seen nothing yet.

Can't say that about Apple when they remove the 3.5mm hole.... 

Google tried already, but couldn't pull it of, now the question becomes can Apple pull it of and give propel this into the market properly like they did with the idea's of all touch phone's, tablets and "ultrabook" form factor(ultrabook is intel naming for thin laptops like the air) I know they have never been the first to do it, but they where the first to bring it properly to the masses.

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Apple Glass now starting at $499.99 with right eye. Extra eye for additional $499.99. Wireless charger over Bluetooth for $299.99 thay can charge full battery for 5hrs! Battery life varies by model and upgrade to Apple Glass S to get larger glass and addional 5 minutes of battery. 

Sorry I'm tired 

then get out of the negative circle and look behind the list of pricing and specs. I personally say don't judge until you personally tried it.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

New Apple Glass allows you to see everything! that's apple certified /s

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I guess it would be another overpriced piece of tech jewellery... :)

I think one of the biggest problem with Google Glasses was the camera. That turned the public against the tech and killed the glasses. If Apple is serious then I hope they leave out the camera and focus just on making it useful. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Hopefully they can pull it off, though battery life is going to be really hard to figure out.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.