M.2 SSD Waterblock

nofxz

Dang that is pretty cool :D Would making the bottom plastic part from copper be enough to cool a double-sided SSD as well, or do you need a complete redesign for that?

4 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

Dang that is pretty cool :D Would making the bottom plastic part from copper be enough to cool a double-sided SSD as well, or do you need a complete redesign for that?

No, I designed it so you can replace the bottom with a proper copper piece for double sided drives. I just don't have any to measure yet. 

Using the extra 6 threaded holes, support to the motherboard can be achieved watching to not assemble the socket head caps on top of other motherboard components.  Thermal pads are used for spacers between chips and block. Its a very slight compression just to keep the block from sliding about. The two bottom plate holes in the center, are spaced over the 60mm and 42mm riser holes for the m.2 slot. As to you could formulate a bolt and spacer situation for mounting the block on those locations. The only problem is different motherboard makers seem to have spaced those heights differently and I don't have a way to take that in account. 

2016-11-21 12.58.57.jpg

2016-11-21 13.01.13.jpg

2016-11-21 13.01.52.jpg

3 hours ago, nofxz said:

Using the extra 6 threaded holes, support to the motherboard can be achieved watching to not assemble the socket head caps on top of other motherboard components.  Thermal pads are used for spacers between chips and block. Its a very slight compression just to keep the block from sliding about. The two bottom plate holes in the center, are spaced over the 60mm and 42mm riser holes for the m.2 slot. As to you could formulate a bolt and spacer situation for mounting the block on those locations. The only problem is different motherboard makers seem to have spaced those heights differently and I don't have a way to take that in account. 

Could you illustrate those different heights? I was under the impression that the M.2 mounting on the mainboard was pretty strictly standardised.

17 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

Could you illustrate those different heights? I was under the impression that the M.2 mounting on the mainboard was pretty strictly standardised.

Yes

First photo is the riser off my work computers Asus z97-k

Second photo is the riser off my z170 ultra gaming

Block installed in my work computer. Its not on water but the fit checks out.

2016-11-22 10.32.01.jpg

2016-11-22 10.35.48.jpg

2016-11-22 10.34.19.jpg

Ah, I see. So the problem is that the whole SSD isn't always the same distance from the board. 

Looks great on the board!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Pls make more of this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect the lack of results after the o-rings arrived indicate it was not successful in holding water without leaking...

If it were successful I'd love to see these for the Intel 600p series of NVME M.2 SSDs!

• 4 weeks later...

Updates?

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)