M.2 SSD Waterblock

nofxz
1 hour ago, SmashinMachine said:

Get the hell out of here man. You want only justify yourself, Don't  accept your fail. You have no stones to jump over your own shadow.

Here is a  nvme pcie ssd from samsung

don't mess with me

Is that a 950 pro or 960 pro?

NOOPE.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 hours ago, SmashinMachine said:

Get the hell out of here man. You want only justify yourself, Don't  accept your fail. You have no stones to jump over your own shadow.

Here is a  nvme pcie ssd from samsung

-snips-

don't mess with me

A: Not Samsung

B: All NVMe SSDs from Samsung are the M.2 form factor because other than that, the only other form factor that's able to use NVMe is U.2 which pretty much doesn't exist.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Samsung should make their minds up. 2.5 inch form factor but label it M.2..?

No... They label it as PCIe ssd...

2-1080.2542578552.jpg

o.O

9 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

samsung-pm953-pcie-ssd-fms-2015-custom-p

Samsung should make their minds up. 2.5 inch form factor but label it M.2..?

No comments..... O.o

Tight fit.... Oh well I smashed all the needed things in. Poly Top, Copper then Poly Base. 1.188" Width or 30.2MM, if anyone wants to measure around there M.2 Socket. And comment about interferences. 

Screenshot 2016-11-15 18.53.40.png

1 minute ago, nofxz said:

Tight fit.... Oh well I smashed all the needed things in. Poly Top, Copper then Poly Base. 1.188" Width or 30.2MM, if anyone wants to measure around there M.2 Socket. And comment about interferences. 

That looks good I would just make sure there isn't anything obstructing the sides near the M.2 slot on your board since the M.2 SSD's are approx 22mm wide and the block would overhang that slightly. 

It will fit both of my motherboards, just fine. I was wondering if other people would measure there slots. 

5 minutes ago, nofxz said:

It will fit both of my motherboards, just fine. I was wondering if other people would measure there slots. 

Well the width of the slot is actually the same as the PCB width of the board since the fingers on the end are smaller, so approx 22mm. In terms of clearance that mostly depends on the board as looking at mine it may not fit to to some switches being right up at the edge of where the M.2 drive would be. 

Was able to reduce the width to 1.136 or 28.85MM but that is about the lowest possible I could get it too. 

Screenshot 2016-11-16 11.35.06.png

4 hours ago, nofxz said:

Lunch break Solid build

Screenshot 2016-11-16 13.39.45.png

Screenshot 2016-11-16 13.35.09.png

What 3D modeling software do you use?

6 hours ago, nofxz said:

Was able to reduce the width to 1.136 or 28.85MM but that is about the lowest possible I could get it too. 

Screenshot 2016-11-16 11.35.06.png

You should be good as long as you have the extra clearance along the edges. I assume you are sandwiching the SSD between the waterblock and a metal plate to hold it in place. 

27 minutes ago, HeroXLazer said:

What 3D modeling software do you use?

I do all my design in Mastercam.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

You should be good as long as you have the extra clearance along the edges. I assume you are sandwiching the SSD between the waterblock and a metal plate to hold it in place. 

Lexan, I will do metal when I attempt a double sided ssd. 

Screenshot 2016-11-16 18.14.48.png

I don't model chamfers because they are pain to do and always end up tweaking while running parts.

Hopefully this will also fit mother boards with m.2 in between PCIe slots. 

Screenshot 2016-11-16 18.49.02.png

Screenshot 2016-11-16 18.47.59.png

2016-11-16 17.27.24.jpg

2016-11-16 17.27.35.jpg

I saw some hooblah about how the 950 Pro thermal throttles easily... well it depends on your definition of "easily"

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-950-Pro-M-2-Throttling-Analysis-776/

But an overall takeaway was this:

One thing we want to point out is that it is pretty uncommon to fully utilize a drive this fast to the same extent we did in this article. Very few programs will actually be able to read from a Samsung 950 Pro at full speed for more than a very short period of time - often the drive will have to regularly wait on the CPU or some other component to actually process the data. In truth, the most common situation you might run throttling is going to be if you have two M.2 drives and you are copying large amounts of data from one drive to the other.

So what tools do you need to make these, in a quick and efficient way.  Hopefully my strategy of using either hex caps or set screws depending on the height of m.2 drive will be a great way to support the extra weight of this block. More pictures to follow of that once this is made. My asus board has a clearance of approx 5mm from bottom of m.2 to motherboard, my gigabyte board has approx 7mm. Which doesn't allow me to make an exact spacing support. 

2016-11-17 20.17.45.jpg

First off, Needs some edit to center drill and the tap broke. More tomorrow.

2016-11-18 19.32.23.jpg

Ah, custom water block stuff. Excellent.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

some top - side a action because i am waiting for a few of these to machine. 

2016-11-19 16.57.40.jpg

2016-11-19 16.56.30.jpg