M.2 SSD Waterblock

nofxz

Hello, My name is Jon. I have been a computer guy for a very long time. I don't find posting about my rigs interesting or fun to craft. I do however think that people will find this process of R&D making these blocks. I am aiming this at the new Samsung 960 Pro 512GB, but I wanna start this before that is available. So I currently have a Intel 540 460GB now, so I am gonna run with what I got. A bit about myself is that I have been a machinist over 5 years now, have a Haas vertical milling machine and a turning center. More about that later, I will be designing this in Mastercam. Now for some pictures for flavour. 

2016-11-14 17.00.17.jpg

2015-09-19 15.19.21.jpg

2015-01-15 14.35.26.jpg

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

Awesome yet actually its unnecessary.

But because YOU CAN so why not?
Keep it up. and update this.

I want to see the result.

It's totally necessary for the bling bling factor.

Also, I found you on the LTT FlyKly video, it was a little weird.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

At first I was like "Why?" But then I'm like "Why not? :D"

Can't wait to see what comes out of it.

5 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Awesome yet actually its unnecessary.

But because YOU CAN so why not?
Keep it up. and update this.

I want to see the result.

If it ends up being anything like the 950 pro, then yeah it's definitely necessary.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

Its because they will do just fine without it. The world will end without it.

It's not a MUST.
But in terms of aesthetic. yes of course its necessary.

Fixed it for you. :P

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Its because they will do just fine without it.

Its not a MUST.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Pourquoi?

The 950 Pro tends to thermal throttle if it gets pushed had for an extended period of time so it's not a bad idea to put a heatsink like the one from Alphacool to keep it coll and lowering performance. 

6 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Its because they will do just fine without it.

Its not a MUST.

Cooling is a must, liquid cooling isn't.

Most people go the easy way and use heatsinks.

5 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Pourquoi?

950 pro overheats easily.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

(-____________________-")

(Gif posting is quickly becoming my calling card on this forum)

0d8210c4-8385-4f8c-95f5-5f1c44813de4.gif

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I hope you do a full copper build with copper tubing

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

That depends. if cooling is a must why SSD doesnt have a heatsink out of the box?
Or maybe the case itself is the heatsink? maybe no.

The 950 and 960pro are NVME, they do not have a casing.

They don't come with a heatsink either because it would not classify as M.2 standard, but they definitely should based on how hot they get under use.

Spoiler

Just now, Thread212 said:

I am not referring to NVME . but SATA SSD.

And i already understand that. 

The waterblocks he is making are for the M.2 NVME drives, not for sata drives.

The sata SSDs don't need any coolinig.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Now now.. dont fill this Thread with unrelated content ^_^ 

a1XNAyv_700b.jpg

Fine, but the SSD waterblock is a must as far as I and the penguin are concerned.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Image result for jon stewart  gif

NWOOOO! Thread212 will yell at us!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Ahh Crap, I will edit the topic header. I am building this block as to allow use of M.2 SSD on the motherboard socket instead of a seperate addin PCIe card. I want to start with the single sided pcb SSD and will do the double sided once I have the single sided ones licked. So 256 or 512gb first then 1TB and bigger later. It will be copper block with plexi window to start, I will do full copper later. 

19 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Wow. i never heard that SSD can be thermal throttled since there's no moving part in it.

CPUs and GPUs have no moving parts, but still thermal throttle. HDDs HAVE moving parts, but don't. What's your point lol

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The 950 and 960pro are NVME, they do not have a casing.

They don't come with a heatsink either because it would not classify as M.2 standard, but they definitely should based on how hot they get under use.

BULLSHIT 

WIKI:

M.2 (pronounced M dot two), formerly known as the Next Generation Form Factor (NGFF), is a specification for internally mounted computer expansion cards and associated connectors. It replaces the mSATAstandard, which uses the PCI Express Mini Card physical card layout and connectors.

NVM Express (NVMe) or Non-Volatile Memory Host Controller Interface Specification (NVMHCI) is a logical device interface specification for accessing non-volatile storage media attached via PCI Express (PCIe) bus.

These are two other things. 

950 PRO is standard M.2 SSD which runs with NVME Interface over PCIExpress 

3 minutes ago, SmashinMachine said:

BULLSHIT 

WIKI:

M.2 (pronounced M dot two), formerly known as the Next Generation Form Factor (NGFF), is a specification for internally mounted computer expansion cards and associated connectors. It replaces the mSATAstandard, which uses the PCI Express Mini Card physical card layout and connectors.

NVM Express (NVMe) or Non-Volatile Memory Host Controller Interface Specification (NVMHCI) is a logical device interface specification for accessing non-volatile storage media attached via PCI Express (PCIe) bus.

These are two other things. 

950 PRO is standard M.2 SSD which runs with NVME Interface over PCIExpress 

The 950 pro is M.2 NVME.

The 960 pro is also going to be M.2 NVME.

The point is they both use the M.2 interface which has certain size restrictions, and they are both NVME which makes them heat up.

Why are you getting so upset?

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

The 950 pro is M.2 NVME.

The 960 pro is also going to be M.2 NVME.

The point is they both use the M.2 interface which has certain size restrictions, and they are both NVME which makes them heat up.

Why are you getting so upset?

You call it m2 nvme 

"NVMe" is only the Interface over PCIe just like SATA Interface 

Because the 950 pro is a SSD for the m.2 socket that supports nvme protocol (like ahci) over PCIE , it is called 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD. It is a SSD, not NVME

It is like IDE HDD or SATA HDD or AHCI SATA SSD

But you can not call a sata HDD only "SATA"

36 minutes ago, SmashinMachine said:

You call it m2 nvme 

"NVMe" is only the Interface over PCIe just like SATA Interface 

Because the 950 pro is a SSD for the m.2 socket that supports nvme protocol (like ahci) over PCIE , it is called 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD. It is a SSD, not NVME

It is like IDE HDD or SATA HDD or AHCI SATA SSD

But you can not call a sata HDD only "SATA"

You can call it a SCSI HDD or a sata HDD, nothing wrong with that.

I thought it was pretty obvious for people to know that the NVME ssds from samsung were only M.2.

Clearly I was wrong, apparently you didn't know that.

Also, I'm not going to say M.2 SSD, because not all M.2 SSDs get that hot, it's just the samsung NVME ones.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can call it a SCSI HDD or a sata HDD, nothing wrong with that.

I thought it was pretty obvious for people to know that the NVME ssds from samsung were only M.2.

Clearly I was wrong, apparently you didn't know that.

Also, I'm not going to say M.2 SSD, because not all M.2 SSDs get that hot, it's just the samsung NVME ones.

Get the hell out of here man. You want only justify yourself, Don't  accept your fail. You have no stones to jump over your own shadow.

Here is a  nvme pcie ssd from samsung

Screenshot_37.jpg

don't mess with me

download.jpg

(in a farmers accent) I get about 3-4 Mbps.. now thats progress!

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!