BF1 PC upgrade, need an advise

Go to solution Solved by BenoitWW,
12 hours ago, dep3kuj said:

Yes it looks good. the PSU you can't change cause you have it. with RAM you can buy another 8GB stick if you need more. And for another upgrade you could add an SSD. very good future proofing and should be able to run BF1 good :)

Hello guys,

I need an advise on upgrading my pc for new BF1 (and other new game as well). At the moment specs are:
asrock extreme 4+ mobo

athlon 860k

MSI R9 280x

8 gb ram DDR3

coolermaster B600 V2 psu

I am planning to upgrade my cpu + mobo + ddr4. Currently I am looking at i5 6600k + msi z170A tamohawk (-35% discount) + 8gb ddr4. But is it really necessary? Cuz I am worried that my GPU could become the bottleneck for this overclocked cpu and wouldn't get benefits. I mean I could get i5 6500 non k version + cheap microITX mobo and save around 100 euros and use these money to buy additional 8gb ddr4 ram (so 16gb in total) + get some pc games. Another possible outcome could be to wait until AMD ZEN cpu will come out, but who knows how good would it be.
Can you give me any advise on that? I suppose there will be some Xmas discounts for these kind of products, so I hope to get something :)

You could also go for an i5 4460 and re-use your ram to save some money, but I wouldn't bother with Zen. It wont launch until next year and wont be any faster than 4460, around Haswell speeds. Black friday is coming up, so I would wait for that instead of Xmas (10 days until). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

it seems like your goal is a pretty high end pc. i would reccomend getting a z170 board now with an i3 6100 (wont be a bottleneck) and get a gtx 1060 6gb. next year when kaby lake is out then go for the i5 7600k. thats is an option to consider.

I am not planing to upgrade my gpu (at least for the next 1,5 - 2 years) so that's why i was wondering. If K version cpu gives at least 15-20% perfomance increase with overclock, then I think it could be worth spending a few more bucks on it.
But if, for example, standart i5 4460 in turbo mode with msiB85 G43 mobo will deliver the same or slightly (5-10%) lower perfomance with my r9 280x, then I would buy it. Plus as was mentioned above I can save my ddr3 ram and just add 8 gb later.

5 hours ago, dep3kuj said:

Currently I am looking at i5 6600k + msi z170A tamohawk (-35% discount) + 8gb ddr4. But is it really necessary?

You'll also need an aftermarket cooler with that. It's not necessary for BF1, i5-6500 can handle it, but I'd still go with the 6600K since it's more 'future proof'. You're fine with 8gb ram, just be cautious with how many apps are opened at once. And no, gpu doesn't bottleneck the cpu.

5 hours ago, rn8686 said:

You could also go for an i5 4460 and re-use your ram to save some money

Lower clocked i5's can lower minimum fps and sometimes minor stutters with GTX 1060's. Idk the impact with a 280x but I wouldn't bother with last gen cpu's.

5 hours ago, rn8686 said:

I wouldn't bother with Zen. It wont launch until next year and wont be any faster than 4460, around Haswell speeds.

Proof?

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

4 hours ago, antisleep said:

You'll also need an aftermarket cooler with that. It's not necessary for BF1, i5-6500 can handle it, but I'd still go with the 6600K since it's more 'future proof'. You're fine with 8gb ram, just be cautious with how many apps are opened at once. And no, gpu doesn't bottleneck the cpu.

I already have one, cuz my 860k is constantly running overclocked. So cooler is not the problem. 
At the moment my biggest concern is wether or not I need xxxxK intel processor. Cuz if overclocked chip  will give me at least 15% fps increase, I will probably go with i5 6600K (4690K comes with the same price). If not, I would get standart 6500 with low-end mobo and just run it in turbo mode.

5-10% perfomance increase is not a dealbreaker for me. 15-20% is :D

21 minutes ago, dep3kuj said:

Future proof rig is great, but still if 4xxx intel chip generation is good for the next 2-3 years, I will take it.

I wouldn't buy haswell, at least not new. When Kaby Lake releases, it's gonna be 2 generations old.

Staying with haswell just so you can reuse your DDR3 ram and save a bit is gonna bite you in the long run.

26 minutes ago, dep3kuj said:

At the moment my biggest concern is wether or not I need xxxxK intel processor. Cuz if overclocked chip  will give me at least 15% fps increase, I will probably go with i5 6600K (4690K comes with the same price). If not, I would get standart 6500 with low-end mobo and just run it in turbo mode.

If you're upgrading the gpu in the future with something faster than a 1060(like 1070, 1080, RX 490*) get the 6600K so you can eliminate/minimize any bottlenecking issues.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

linus has a video on BF1 specs. turns out, it doesn't require that high end system hardware

On 15.11.2016 at 1:07 AM, BenoitWW said:

linus has a video on BF1 specs. turns out, it doesn't require that high end system hardware

Yea, I've watched this video not so long ago and it seems that I should be just fine with standert i5 6500.

So what do you think guys, if I get i5 6500 + microATX mobo with h110 chipset (cuz it's cheap and small) and 8 gb 2133 mhz stick of ddr4 ram, would it be fine paired with my R9 280x? Right now it seems to be pretty balanced setup for modern games and general use in 1080p.
Or this mobo wont let me do gpu overclock (I mean standart overclock provided by msi software: Normal/Gaming/Overclock mode)? And is 2133 ddr4 ok, or I should consider 2400? I mean if 2400 it gives only 1-2 fps increase, then 2133 is the way to go.

and one more question, is there any difference between h110 and h170 chipsets in perfomance? All those ports are not dealbreakers, only fps matters :D

My biggest concern is that h110 has only 4pin cpu power connector, while some b150 and h170 mobos have 8 pin.

So I worried, would 4 pin be enough to run i5 6500 in turbo without any troubles?

Yea, I've watched this video not so long ago and it seems that I should be just fine with standert i5 6500.

So what do you think guys, if I get i5 6500 + microATX mobo with h110 chipset (cuz it's cheap and small) and 8 gb 2133 mhz stick of ddr4 ram, would it be fine paired with my R9 280x? Right now it seems to be pretty balanced setup for modern games and general use in 1080p.
Or this mobo wont let me do gpu overclock (I mean standart overclock provided by msi software: Normal/Gaming/Overclock mode)? And is 2133 ddr4 ok, or I should consider 2400? I mean if 2400 it gives only 1-2 fps increase, then 2133 is the way to go.

send us the PCPP list and ill let you know

And is 2133 ddr4 ok, or I should consider 2400? I mean if 2400 it gives only 1-2 fps increase, then 2133 is the way to go

Higher ram speeds don't matter since H110/B150/H170 mobos will downclock it to 2133Mhz anyways.

Any store/site you're buying parts from?

6 hours ago, BenoitWW said:

send us the PCPP list and ill let you know

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($190.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($53.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($84.89 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TRENDnet TEW-726EC PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter 
Total: $431.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 02:37 EST-0500

PSU, GPU, HDD; OS and Wireless adaptor will be taken from my current PC.

PSU that I currently have is 
http://www.1a.ee/arvutikomponendid_vorgutooted/korpused_jahutid/toiteplokid/cooler_master_b600_ver2_psu_600w_atx_23_rs600acabb1eu?search_text=Cooler Master B600 ver.2 PSU 600W ATX 2.3 RS600-ACABB1-EU

And case would be 
http://www.1a.ee/arvutikomponendid_vorgutooted/korpused_jahutid/arvuti_korpused/x2_nextyde_6021_mini_tower_x26021bcer

WebStrore will be this one
http://www.1a.ee/arvutikomponendid_vorgutooted

52 minutes ago, BenoitWW said:

Yes it looks good. the PSU you can't change cause you have it. with RAM you can buy another 8GB stick if you need more. And for another upgrade you could add an SSD. very good future proofing and should be able to run BF1 good :)

great :) Then I'll get those parts in december, thanks )