Strange internet issue between 2 computers

vong

Hi guys.

So setup is 2 computers in the same room, internet connected by cable through a network switch and Ethernet over power plug. 

Problem is real slow speeds with both running. I could be watching youtube on one and nothing on the other but it's still slow. What's even weirder is if I unplug one computer from the switch but still have both on and watching youtube on the connected one it's still slow. Perfectly fine if only one computer is on.

Any idea's on what's up?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

12 minutes ago, vong said:

I could be watching youtube on one and nothing on the other but it's still slow.

12 minutes ago, vong said:

Perfectly fine if only one computer is on.

so help me understand that it is only slow when both computers are switched on, even though one computer may not be doing something you asked it to.

You got software updating in the background?

You got yourself a zombie PC?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

so help me understand that it is only slow when both computers are switched on, even though one computer may not be doing something you asked it to.

Yep both pc's on, one youtube, the other idling away or not even connected to the internet. They're not even on the same power outlet.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

You got software updating in the background?

You got yourself a zombie PC?

Nope, no software updates. Turned that off ages ago.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Sounds to me like the issue could be related to the fact your pulling the network over a power wall plug.

Has the network always been slow, or did it just start recently? Any major changes or new appliances such as extra computers etc?

Not sure if it's a common problem, but I've personally experienced very slow speeds using power plugs in homes with old wiring. In many cases it was having a device plugged into the same socket as the power plug that was drawing power which resulted in the network speeds plummeting. Do you have the capacity to try the power plug in a socket with nothing else plugged in, or better yet plug one of your computers and switch directly into the router? This would rule out a problem with the switch / pc.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

7 minutes ago, Redportal said:

Sounds to me like the issue could be related to the fact your pulling the network over a power wall plug.

Has the network always been slow, or did it just start recently? Any major changes or new appliances such as extra computers etc?

Not sure if it's a common problem, but I've personally experienced very slow speeds using power plugs in homes with old wiring. In many cases it was having a device plugged into the same socket as the power plug that was drawing power which resulted in the network speeds plummeting. Do you have the capacity to try the power plug in a socket with nothing else plugged in, or better yet plug one of your computers and switch directly into the router? This would rule out a problem with the switch / pc.

Issue is really recent but the internet has been slow for months now. Don't know what the deal is as everything was completely fine earlier this year. House was built back in 2010.

It can't be the switch if both pc's are on and 1 is disconnected from the switch. It's incrediably odd. Is it possible that I'm drawing too much power current from the room? 1 pc is hooked up to a tv, reciever and amp whilst the other is just connected to a monitor. But still, it's only been very recent and nothing has been physically changed here for months.

4 minutes ago, vong said:

Issue is really recent but the internet has been slow for months now. Don't know what the deal is as everything was completely fine earlier this year. House was built back in 2010.

It can't be the switch if both pc's are on and 1 is disconnected from the switch. It's incrediably odd. Is it possible that I'm drawing too much power current from the room? 1 pc is hooked up to a tv, reciever and amp whilst the other is just connected to a monitor. But still, it's only been very recent and nothing has been physically changed here for months.

So it's only one of the computers that are experiencing a problem?

I would try plugging the computer into the wall plug directly if at all possible, and if you haven't already try rebooting the switch. (If it doesn't have a web interface, just unplug and plug in the power again).

As the building if fairly recent 2010, it should have decent cables and power, so this probably isn't an issue. In my first post I was referring to buildings before the year 2000. :)

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

2 hours ago, vong said:

Think really hard. Have you plugged in any new electrical devices? Have you taken out any? Switched the power plug? Anything?

I actually deal with these sort of weird problems daily in my work and almost always it's caused by someone doing some changes and not realizing it's even possible that it affects the network.

8 hours ago, Redportal said:

So it's only one of the computers that are experiencing a problem?

I would try plugging the computer into the wall plug directly if at all possible, and if you haven't already try rebooting the switch. (If it doesn't have a web interface, just unplug and plug in the power again).

As the building if fairly recent 2010, it should have decent cables and power, so this probably isn't an issue. In my first post I was referring to buildings before the year 2000. :)

No, they both have slow internet if both are on at the same time whether one is connecet to the net or not.

5 hours ago, U.Ho said:

Think really hard. Have you plugged in any new electrical devices? Have you taken out any? Switched the power plug? Anything?

I actually deal with these sort of weird problems daily in my work and almost always it's caused by someone doing some changes and not realizing it's even possible that it affects the network.

It's only been happening very recently (2-3 weeks) and in that time nothing has been taken or added to the room.

14 hours ago, vong said:

No, they both have slow internet if both are on at the same time whether one is connecet to the net or not.

It's only been happening very recently (2-3 weeks) and in that time nothing has been taken or added to the room.

Did you reboot your switch like @Redportal suggested?

Have you set these two computers up in a cluster or in a lan ?

If they are in a cluster then your problem could be that you haven't set up ram sharing. Or it could be that you are using two different network cards or embedded network adaptors. Clustering computers requires an identical network card in each machine.

If they are in LAN, I will first make the assumption that the computers are connected wirelessly since they are in two different rooms.

In this case, your problem could be the building materials used in your house, no fix for that except an ethernet cable.

It could be that the cache on your router is full, in this case contact your isp for instructions on clearing this, as different isp's use different methods for accessing and clearing the cache on the router.

Another possibility is it could be either your wireless frequency or your wireless channel, try mucking about with your channel and frequency settings on the wireless router.

Are you Blue yet ?

Bluetooth devices can interfere with a wireless lan.

Other possibilities include a fault with your switch or an unbalanced power level between the two machines.

when networking machines it is always a good idea to have identical power supplies in all machines to be networked, this eliminates problems with voltage frequency, voltage levels and reduces power cost.