Chaos_Sorcerer

Help me pick my first phone!  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What would you recommend?

• Droid Turbo 2 for $360 CAD
    • Galaxy S6 for $405 CAD
    • Moto X Pure for $370 CAD
    • Nexus 6 for $350 CAD

I'm leaning toward the Droid Turbo, but I'm pretty divided. I prioritize value over all other aspects of a phone. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

What carrier are you on and where do you plan to get your phone from?
Noticed you're in Canada, but included the Droid which is a US phone.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

What carrier are you on and where do you plan to get your phone from?
Noticed you're in Canada, but included the Droid which is a US phone.

I do realize that the Droid is "Verizon exclusive", but the one I'm looking at is unlocked, and I've checked to see that it'll work. I'm planning on going with either Wind Mobile or Koodo. I'd definitely prefer Wind because of the unlimited data, but Koodo is fine too, since I'll have access to Wi-Fi most of the time. Looks like the Turbo is only compatible with Koodo, however. 

These are all deals from EBay. The Turbo ships from the US, and the rest are from Canada.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

14 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

I do realize that the Droid is "Verizon exclusive", but the one I'm looking at is unlocked, and I've checked to see that it'll work. I'm planning on going with either Wind Mobile or Koodo. I'd definitely prefer Wind because of the unlimited data, but Koodo is fine too, since I'll have access to Wi-Fi most of the time. Looks like the Turbo is only compatible with Koodo, however. 

These are all deals from EBay. The Turbo ships from the US, and the rest are from Canada.

If you're considering Koodo I'd instead consider Public Mobile. I find their plans are quite a bit better.

Are the ones you're getting from Canada Canadian phones? Make sure that they're compatible as well, since there's numerous versions of the S6.

I'd go for the S6, or the Moto Pure.

The Nexus 6 is getting quite old, and was a massive phone.

The Droid is supposed to have a much easier to scratch screen.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you're considering Koodo I'd instead consider Public Mobile. I find their plans are quite a bit better.

Are the ones you're getting from Canada Canadian phones? Make sure that they're compatible as well, since there's numerous versions of the S6.

I don't mind the big screen of the Nexus 6. Yeah, I believe they're all Canadian phones, but I'm not too sure. The S6 is definitely flexing my budget.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

The Droid Turbo 2 has a shatterproof screen, but i'm not sure about scratching. Mine has not scratched any.

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

I have the original Turbo and GOD is its battery life amazing, the Turbo 2 should be the same

2 minutes ago, pckid said:

The Droid Turbo 2 has a shatterproof screen, but i'm not sure about scratching. Mine has not scratched any.

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I really just need to be absolutely sure that the Turbo will work on Koodo. It probably will, but could someone confirm this?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

I don't mind the big screen of the Nexus 6. Yeah, I believe they're all Canadian phones, but I'm not too sure. The S6 is definitely flexing my budget.

I really just need to be absolutely sure that the Turbo will work on Koodo. It probably will, but could someone confirm this?

It's not just the screen size, but the overall package. The Nexus 6 is very wide. I was considering one when I was shopping for phones a couple years ago, but even compared to a Note5 (which I ended up getting) it was huge.

For comparison it's considerably wider than even the Huawei Mate9 which has a bigger screen.

Yes, it will. http://willmyphonework.net/

5 minutes ago, pckid said:

The screen has more plastic in it than glass, which is what makes it shatterproof. As a result it's more prone to scratching.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

The only problem I have with the Turbo 2 is you cant find any cases for the phone in stores.

3 minutes ago, tomoki said:

OnePlus X

I highly doubt the OnePlus X is as good as the Turbo 2.

3 minutes ago, pckid said:

I highly doubt the OnePlus X is as good as the Turbo 2.

He did say he prioritized value over all other aspects so I was thinking price value hahaha 

3 minutes ago, tomoki said:

He did say he prioritized value over all other aspects so I was thinking price value hahaha 

The Turbo 2 the original poster was looking at was around $220.

Just now, pckid said:

The Turbo 2 the original poster was looking at was around $220.

He's paying in CAD. All the poll results are in CAD. 

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

He's paying in CAD. All the poll results are in CAD. 

Hey, 299 posts! 

As for the phone, I'm basically decided on the Turbo 2.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Why not reply to get to 300 posts? I mean, I gave that one a thumbs-up just because it was your 299th post...LOL. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Hey, 299 posts! 

As for the phone, I'm basically decided on the Turbo 2.

WOW dammit FINE LOL ~ hahaha this guy... what the heck. 

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

because they put so much effort into the back skin (the original Turbo had a kickass ballistic nylon back that felt aMAZING)

And this is one of the sturdiest non-Nokia phones on the market. Cases just take away from the awesomeness of the phone.

I might as well just buy it. It looks like a steal to me. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

You know what else 

3 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

felt aMAZING?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler