What is PPPoE username and password?

Thineswar

So, I'm trying to set up a router (for the first time) by following this guide (I can't find anything else that is as helpful, if you do find any, please share it with me).

Anyway, at some point, the guide tells me to enter my PPPoE username and password into the wizard. Is it the same as my wifi password? If not, how do I find it? 

Note: I am doing this with a RIGER-DB120WL which (I found out here) happens to be a cheap knockoff of this TP-Link router, using this firmware

You usually get the login details from your ISP when you buy the service. If you didnt receive a letter with your login data yet, give your ISP a call.

No.  PPPoE is for the Internet connection (WAN), not your local network (LAN and Wi-Fi). Your ISP has the PPPoE credentials.

Your connection might be abnormal and PPPoE be the best choice for you but 99 times out of a hundred, it's not. Are you absolutely sure that the #3 doesn't apply to you as in why aren't you setting up a normal Dynamic IP?

1 hour ago, Eruainur said:

You usually get the login details from your ISP when you buy the service. If you didnt receive a letter with your login data yet, give your ISP a call.

I was afraid of that. I might call them up tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, Naeaes said:

No.  PPPoE is for the Internet connection (WAN), not your local network (LAN and Wi-Fi). Your ISP has the PPPoE credentials.

Your connection might be abnormal and PPPoE be the best choice for you but 99 times out of a hundred, it's not. Are you absolutely sure that the #3 doesn't apply to you as in why aren't you setting up a normal Dynamic IP?

I'm sorry, but I'm a beginner at all of this. What do you mean by abnormal connection? Is there another way apart from PPPoE? And what do you mean by not setting up a normal dynamic ip? In the guide, isn't that category for setting up a secondary connection?

3 minutes ago, Thineswar said:

I was afraid of that. I might call them up tomorrow morning.

I'm sorry, but I'm a beginner at all of this. What do you mean by abnormal connection? Is there another way apart from PPPoE? And what do you mean by not setting up a normal dynamic ip? In the guide, isn't that category for setting up a secondary connection?

By abnormal I mean a combination of analog and digital devices in the network.

ADSL is an analog connection that uses PPP.
PPP is similar to old-school telephone calls. It's just two modems that make the calls. 
    -While you're talking to someone, you can't call anyone else.
    -If someone calls you, they get a busy signal.
    -You dial to create a connection and hang up to end it.

Your computer only has digital connections like Ethernet or Wi-Fi. They use TCP/IP as opposed to PPP. So your computer has no analog output so it has no way of controlling the PPP phone line. Without PPPoE, that is.
PPPoE (Point-to-point over ethernet) allows an Ethernet device like your computer to control the PPP connection. So the PPP phone call is only make while the intenet is being used. Once you're done, your computer tells the modem that it's done and the modem cuts the connection and if you have a telephone, you can once again accept phone calls. 

But that kind of stuff is useless these days. If you don't have a telephone, why not make the modem place a phonecall to your ISP (Intenet Service Provider) and keep that call open forever. You couldn't use a telephone or a fax machine but who cares? 

So instead of handing the PPP to your computer, just use TCP/IP. Have the router take the IP it gets from the modem and set it to come up with new IP addresses to hand out to the computers. 

That's what the guide in the step three is for. Just reset the router settings, and follow this guide instead: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-607.html If you don't have a landline telephone of an analog fax machine, that is.

3 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

By abnormal I mean a combination of analog and digital devices in the network.

ADSL is an analog connection that uses PPP.
PPP is similar to old-school telephone calls. It's just two modems that make the calls. 
    -While you're talking to someone, you can't call anyone else.
    -If someone calls you, they get a busy signal.
    -You dial to create a connection and hang up to end it.

Your computer only has digital connections like Ethernet or Wi-Fi. They use TCP/IP as opposed to PPP. So your computer has no analog output so it has no way of controlling the PPP phone line. Without PPPoE, that is.
PPPoE (Point-to-point over ethernet) allows an Ethernet device like your computer to control the PPP connection. So the PPP phone call is only make while the intenet is being used. Once you're done, your computer tells the modem that it's done and the modem cuts the connection and if you have a telephone, you can once again accept phone calls. 

But that kind of stuff is useless these days. If you don't have a telephone, why not make the modem place a phonecall to your ISP (Intenet Service Provider) and keep that call open forever. You couldn't use a telephone or a fax machine but who cares? 

So instead of handing the PPP to your computer, just use TCP/IP. Have the router take the IP it gets from the modem and set it to come up with new IP addresses to hand out to the computers. 

That's what the guide in the step three is for. Just reset the router settings, and follow this guide instead: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-607.html If you don't have a landline telephone of an analog fax machine, that is.

wow, that is quite thorough, thank you so much, i really mean it.

one last question though, does it make a difference if i have a fibre connection?

4 minutes ago, Thineswar said:

one last question though, does it make a difference if i have a fibre connection?

Yes it does. Fiber connection is digital and doesn't usually need a modem at all. I say usually because there still is tech that allows pseudo-analog connections over it, most common of them is VDSL. But most often a fiber connection terminates into either Ethernet or a some fiber connection. You'd just plug in your computer or router in there and the connection would be digital only thoughout.

so, should i just follow the guide that you posted earlier?

May I assume that you're in Germany? If so, quite a large amount of ISPs use PPPoE. If you are, I can most likely help you with your setup.

Try to set up your router with DHCP for WAN (might be called automatic IP or something like that) because most ISPs use that instead of PPPoE. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to call your ISP to get your PPPoE login details.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

10 hours ago, Eruainur said:

May I assume that you're in Germany? If so, quite a large amount of ISPs use PPPoE. If you are, I can most likely help you with your setup.

No, I live in Malaysia. Like Naesaes said, and from what I read here, I don't think my ISP uses PPPoE.

UPDATE: I've since logged into the modem and found that the box for DHCP is ticked instead of PPPoE.