Faint vertical lines when 75hz refresh rate on monitor

I'm using an LG 23MP68VQ which has Freesync capabilities at 75hz. By default, Freesync is off and the panel runs at 60hz. With a switch in the OSD, Freesync is on and the panel runs at 75hz. But when it runs at 75hz, everything on screen becomes crisp and vertical lines appear on blue colors. The lines are systematically arranged and looks like the grid of the panel itself. When you look really close at a monitor you would see grids and pixels, that kind of lines, but vertically and only on blue or yellow colour. 60hz has no problem but 75hz has this faint lines on blue/yellow color problem. The lines are really faint but noticable. I have no idea how to deal with this, google and the Internet has no information about this. I wish I can show you guys a picture, but my camera isnt accurate enough to show the problems, it has to be seen by the naked eye.

Core i5 4440  16GB DDR3 HyperX  Sapphire Nitro+ RX480  Asrock Z87M Pro 4  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Blue 1TB x 2  FSP Hydro G+ 650W Samsung CF24G70 Logitech G610 G502

Holy crap! I can't believe I have finally found someone else with the same problem. I just got the exact same monitor less than a week ago and have been experiencing the same exact issue. However the lines are also there when I am using a default refresh rate of 60hz too. At first I barely even noticed them, then upon trying out the Freesync mode at 75hz I started to see them everywhere. Mainly on certain shades of blue, but also greens and oranges/yellows too. I have switched back to the standard 60hz now with Freesync disabled but still notice the lines everywhere. They may be SLIGHTLY fainter to see but they are most definitely there... However literally just 10 minutes before I discovered this thread I just tried switching down to 50hz to see if I could achieve any fix, amazingly this cleared up the lines dramatically! They may still be there but they are so incredibly faint now that its almost impossible to see when casually browsing. Unfortunately running at 50hz all the time isn't ideal and everything feels generally choppier and less responsive, which really sucks for games and such. It's reassuring to know that someone else on the planet is experiencing this issue as I was considering requesting a replacement display. But knowing that it isn't an isolated problem I am not so sure now... I've never owned an IPS panel before so I originally just thought this was a normal quirk with that type of display but it seems to be a issue with this monitor. It seems utterly bizarre that this specific display problem would be directly tied to the refresh rate, the higher the refresh rate, the more prominent the lines. I too also tried taking a photo of the lines but ran into the same issue as you so I have made something on Photoshop to demonstrate to others what it looks like:

Vep4EkV.jpg

Bare in mind it isn't THIS extreme, this is simply to illustrate what it approximately looks like. The lines aren't quite that dark or far apart but hopefully it gives people an understanding of the problem.

On 17/11/2016 at 11:06 AM, Fireflew said:

Holy crap! I can't believe I have finally found someone else with the same problem. I just got the exact same monitor less than a week ago and have been experiencing the same exact issue. However the lines are also there when I am using a default refresh rate of 60hz too. At first I barely even noticed them, then upon trying out the Freesync mode at 75hz I started to see them everywhere. Mainly on certain shades of blue, but also greens and oranges/yellows too. I have switched back to the standard 60hz now with Freesync disabled but still notice the lines everywhere. They may be SLIGHTLY fainter to see but they are most definitely there... However literally just 10 minutes before I discovered this thread I just tried switching down to 50hz to see if I could achieve any fix, amazingly this cleared up the lines dramatically! They may still be there but they are so incredibly faint now that its almost impossible to see when casually browsing. Unfortunately running at 50hz all the time isn't ideal and everything feels generally choppier and less responsive, which really sucks for games and such. It's reassuring to know that someone else on the planet is experiencing this issue as I was considering requesting a replacement display. But knowing that it isn't an isolated problem I am not so sure now... I've never owned an IPS panel before so I originally just thought this was a normal quirk with that type of display but it seems to be a issue with this monitor. It seems utterly bizarre that this specific display problem would be directly tied to the refresh rate, the higher the refresh rate, the more prominent the lines. I too also tried taking a photo of the lines but ran into the same issue as you so I have made something on Photoshop to demonstrate to others what it looks like

Wow, how did you even do that with photoshop? cos it's exactly how the problem looks like. The pictures u posted illustrated the problem perfectly. I've owned other IPS and it's not an IPS issue. Also I have 2 of these displays now and both have the same problem at higher refresh rates. With 2 of my displays and your problem, I've concluded that this is a design flaw or the model's inherent flaws. I've since then accepted it as a decent 60hz panel but not a good Freesync and 75hz panel. Sadly, this problem is so rare, non existent even, that googling and checking forums provided no information whatsoever. Glad to know you're not alone mate. :)

Core i5 4440  16GB DDR3 HyperX  Sapphire Nitro+ RX480  Asrock Z87M Pro 4  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Blue 1TB x 2  FSP Hydro G+ 650W Samsung CF24G70 Logitech G610 G502

Hey! I made that image on Photoshop by just creating 3 blocks of colour that were most commonly effected by the line issue. Then made a 1 pixel width line and duplicated it across the width of the shapes and finally selected the lines, reduced brightness by approx 25 on the shape layer and removed the lines. Very quick and simple but like you said it does accurately illustrate the problem for others.

I am going to contact LG directly now and inquire if they have ever had reports of this issue before. As you said you have 2 displays that both demonstrate this problem it cannot just be a fluke. It's a shame as the monitor itself is great despite the line problem, good colours/brightness, easy to use on screen display and nice design overall. I will let you know what LG have to say when they get back to me.

On 11/20/2016 at 4:50 AM, Fireflew said:

Hey! I made that image on Photoshop by just creating 3 blocks of colour that were most commonly effected by the line issue. Then made a 1 pixel width line and duplicated it across the width of the shapes and finally selected the lines, reduced brightness by approx 25 on the shape layer and removed the lines. Very quick and simple but like you said it does accurately illustrate the problem for others.

I am going to contact LG directly now and inquire if they have ever had reports of this issue before. As you said you have 2 displays that both demonstrate this problem it cannot just be a fluke. It's a shame as the monitor itself is great despite the line problem, good colours/brightness, easy to use on screen display and nice design overall. I will let you know what LG have to say when they get back to me.

I would consider this monitor as perfect if it doesn't have this problem. The monitor can even run at 75hz without an AMD card, which is great. Unfortunately the 75hz refresh rate comes with the line problem. This monitor is priced right, looks great aesthetically, thin bezels, no power brick, great quality, low backlight bleed (but not absent), almost getting a 10/10, overall a very good monitor 

Bit of an update, still no replies from LG after 10 days even though they promise it will be 24 hours at most (terrible customer service). But I have recently got another monitor to compare the LG one with and it turns out that it also has the exact same line problem! I couldn't believe it when I saw it, I'm starting to think that this is a problem with all IPS panels, well with 1080p screens at least. I have tried posting this problem on a bunch of other sites and haven't had any luck unfortunately, no one else seems to be aware of the issue :/.

Amazon warranty extends to the 31st of January if you ordered after November 1st so at least there is some time in case I do eventually send the monitors back. I really don't want to though, as you said the LG monitor is great looking with very few flaws apart from the obvious one. The other monitor I ordered, the Asus VC239H, is just as good but it does have some ugly backlight bleed in the lower left corner. It's very hard to say which one is better but in terms of design and ease of use the LG wins easily (that joystick control is SO much easier to use than conventional buttons).

I have seen people saying that this line issue is a result of interference, caused by a DVI cable, but I have tried the monitor with a bunch of different cables and configurations (and two separate PC's) and nothing fixes it. Literally the only way I can get the lines to disappear (to about 10% visibility) is to run the monitor at a refresh rate of 50hz or lower. This gives me an almost pristine image and it looks so good, but the low refresh rate just feels awful. Everything is slow and choppy (terrible for games!) and I just immediately miss the standard 60hz. If only there was a way to somehow maintain the smoothness of 60hz with the refresh rate of 50hz!

On 11/30/2016 at 0:10 PM, Fireflew said:

Bit of an update

Tried with DVI and HDMI and both produced the same "line" problem. From your experiment with the Asus one, this may be a problem with all cheap IPS panels. If it's a property of IPS, then I couldn't imagine the ACER Predator series which has 144hz refresh rate and an IPS panel, the lines must be super crazy. One of my LG 23MP68VQ recently started having this problem, where after immediately switching on the monitor, motion would produce image noise, so you would see image noise while viewing videos and moving objects. It goes away after like an hour after switching on. I'm bringing my LG to their service centre for warranty as it has the image noise issue and backlight bleeding on the top left corner. I googled about LG's customer service and they seem to have a bad reputation. I can conclude, that cheaper IPS panels at this price range, regardless of brand, would not give us a good IPS experience. On paper, they all sound almost perfect, with such a price, you get Freesync, IPS and other high end features, but there's always a flaw.

On 12/5/2016 at 9:14 AM, league_of_stoners said:

Tried with DVI and HDMI and both produced the same "line" problem. From your experiment with the Asus one, this may be a problem with all cheap IPS panels. If it's a property of IPS, then I couldn't imagine the ACER Predator series which has 144hz refresh rate and an IPS panel, the lines must be super crazy. One of my LG 23MP68VQ recently started having this problem, where after immediately switching on the monitor, motion would produce image noise, so you would see image noise while viewing videos and moving objects. It goes away after like an hour after switching on. I'm bringing my LG to their service centre for warranty as it has the image noise issue and backlight bleeding on the top left corner. I googled about LG's customer service and they seem to have a bad reputation. I can conclude, that cheaper IPS panels at this price range, regardless of brand, would not give us a good IPS experience. On paper, they all sound almost perfect, with such a price, you get Freesync, IPS and other high end features, but there's always a flaw.

Uh oh, I was planning to get an Acer Predator 144hz monitor in the near future (after doing a big computer upgrade in the new year) but if the line intensity is tied directly to the level of refresh rate then god knows how bad it will look! On a random note I recently tested out a 144hz monitor for the first time and it was absolutely incredible, never experienced anything so buttery smooth before! I think I will need to try and test an Acer Predator out in a store (if I can even find one) before purchasing.

So I have another update with the current issue. Since the last message I sent I have got myself another monitor (and returned the other two). The monitor I got is the Samsung S24D590PLX. Now this monitor uses a PLS panel which is very similar to IPS but slightly different. PLS is a Samsung exclusive technology however some other manufacturers do actually use it (see this list for details on which displays use it: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php). PLS is also supposed to be superior to IPS, featuring brighter colours and better contrast however I don't really see much of a difference to be honest. The PLS display I got does improve one big thing however, no more lines! Finally an IPS equivalent monitor without the annoying line issue. Even crazier is this monitor was cheaper than the other two as well (£115 on Ebuyer). So the line issue is no more however there is a catch... Now this may only be terrible luck on my part but this monitor has the most severe backlight bleed I have ever seen. It's really really bad, so bad in fact that I am returning it in a few days (damn it I was so close to getting a good monitor!!). Here is a photo of the Samsung PLS screen (left) next to the LG IPS screen (right): JleQzO2.jpg

As you can see the backlight bleed is horrific :/... But I watched/read reviews before buying and no one ever mentioned any issue with backlight bleed so perhaps I was just extremely unlucky.

I have requested a replacement so i'm hoping to be luckier with the next one, fingers crossed!

Regardless of this I am confident that PLS displays do not have the line problem (at least the Samsung PLS displays anyway). The problem though with both PLS and IPS is that you are always taking a gamble on the quality of your monitor. Sometimes you get a good one with little to no light bleed and sometimes you get a bad one. It can be a real pain having to constantly send stuff back to an online retailer but I think it's worth it in the end if you do finally end up with a good one.

Also regarding your image noise problem, I had something like that with the Asus display. All I had to do was turn off the response time (or set it to low) in the monitors menu and change the pixel format in the AMD graphics settings to either YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB 4:4:4 Full. That seemed to stop any weird noise or ghosting artefacts appearing on the screen. Not sure what settings that would be under for an Nvidia card but i'm sure there is something similar.

13 hours ago, Fireflew said:

As you can see the backlight bleed is horrific :/... But I watched/read reviews before buying and no one ever mentioned any issue with backlight bleed so perhaps I was just extremely unlucky.

I have requested a replacement so i'm hoping to be luckier with the next one, fingers crossed!

Regardless of this I am confident that PLS displays do not have the line problem (at least the Samsung PLS displays anyway). The problem though with both PLS and IPS is that you are always taking a gamble on the quality of your monitor. Sometimes you get a good one with little to no light bleed and sometimes you get a bad one. It can be a real pain having to constantly send stuff back to an online retailer but I think it's worth it in the end if you do finally end up with a good one.

Also regarding your image noise problem, I had something like that with the Asus display. All I had to do was turn off the response time (or set it to low) in the monitors menu and change the pixel format in the AMD graphics settings to either YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB 4:4:4 Full. That seemed to stop any weird noise or ghosting artefacts appearing on the screen. Not sure what settings that would be under for an Nvidia card but i'm sure there is something similar.

Samsung PLS are known for having terrible backlight bleed, I've seen several reviews about backlight bleed and they are bad. I will be getting the AOC G2460PG soon when it releases in my country, its alrdy in the country but they are still preparing to release it. 144hz Gsync and TN which means no backlight bleeding (less degree compared to IPS). The frustrating thing is there is almost no perfect monitor on the market. Even the very expensive Predator or LG Ultrawides that cost over a thousand dollars have backlight bleeding and other defects. Its a gamble all over the monitor market. It makes it more important to buy from a brand that has good customer service due to how random the quality of panels can be

13 hours ago, Fireflew said:

Samsung PLS are known for having terrible backlight bleed, I've seen several reviews about backlight bleed and they are bad. I will be getting the AOC G2460PG soon when it releases in my country, its alrdy in the country but they are still preparing to release it. 144hz Gsync and TN which means no backlight bleeding (less degree compared to IPS). The frustrating thing is there is almost no perfect monitor on the market. Even the very expensive Predator or LG Ultrawides that cost over a thousand dollars have backlight bleeding and other defects. Its a gamble all over the monitor market. It makes it more important to buy from a brand that has good customer service due to how random the quality of panels can be

I have the same issue with the LG 23MP68VQ .
The problem isn't the ips panel,i have an older full hd ips LG monitor and it doesn't has this issue.
I have the amd r9 280 video card which not support freesync ,you guys have an freesync compatible vga ?
Maybe this monitor with a freesync compatible card does not have that issue(?)

.......sorry for my english i am from Greece.

On 12/17/2016 at 11:25 PM, Hillmaster said:

I have the same issue with the LG 23MP68VQ .
The problem isn't the ips panel,i have an older full hd ips LG monitor and it doesn't has this issue.
I have the amd r9 280 video card which not support freesync ,you guys have an freesync compatible vga ?
Maybe this monitor with a freesync compatible card does not have that issue(?)

.......sorry for my english i am from Greece.

I dont have a freesync compatible card (GTX1060), but my line problem went away. What I did was just leave it at 75hz mode forever. I noticed the lines are most evident when you first switched to Freesync mode, but goes away as time passes. It still has lines now but it's no where as severe as before and pretty much unnoticable.

I have recently noticed the line issue on TN displays too actually. My friends cheap laptop definitely presents the same problem so it's not just limited to IPS panels. Funnily enough I recently got a monitor with a VA panel and noticed that it has a problem with HORIZONTAL lines! The lines are somewhat fainter than the LGs vertical lines but it effects the picture quality of fine details (mainly text). Seems to me like there is no budget monitor in existence that is flawless. I used to think my old LG TN screen was perfectly fine but now realise how dull the brightness and colour is. It was only until I had another screen next to it that It became apparent how poor the picture was.

I sent back the VA monitor today (which also had a dead pixel problem) and bought a replacement Samsung PLS screen from a store that thankfully has very little backlight bleed. Of course it does have other problems, the build quality feels cheap, dust gets trapped behind the screen, there are issues with pixels sticking, but it is still probably the best display I have had (out of the five monitors iv'e had to send back within the past month!!). Unfortunately due to the nature of budget displays it's almost a guarantee that SOMETHING will be wrong with it, at least that's what iv'e found. That being said there is a shocking lack of quality control from the big manufacturers. I'm definitely not looking forward to getting a 144hz/g-sync monitor sometime in the new year as it will be yet another roll of the dice to see if the monitor is faulty or not.

On 12/23/2016 at 8:20 AM, Fireflew said:

I have recently noticed the line issue on TN displays too actually. My friends cheap laptop definitely presents the same problem so it's not just limited to IPS panels. Funnily enough I recently got a monitor with a VA panel and noticed that it has a problem with HORIZONTAL lines! The lines are somewhat fainter than the LGs vertical lines but it effects the picture quality of fine details (mainly text). Seems to me like there is no budget monitor in existence that is flawless. I used to think my old LG TN screen was perfectly fine but now realise how dull the brightness and colour is. It was only until I had another screen next to it that It became apparent how poor the picture was.

I sent back the VA monitor today (which also had a dead pixel problem) and bought a replacement Samsung PLS screen from a store that thankfully has very little backlight bleed. Of course it does have other problems, the build quality feels cheap, dust gets trapped behind the screen, there are issues with pixels sticking, but it is still probably the best display I have had (out of the five monitors iv'e had to send back within the past month!!). Unfortunately due to the nature of budget displays it's almost a guarantee that SOMETHING will be wrong with it, at least that's what iv'e found. That being said there is a shocking lack of quality control from the big manufacturers. I'm definitely not looking forward to getting a 144hz/g-sync monitor sometime in the new year as it will be yet another roll of the dice to see if the monitor is faulty or not.

What's the model/brand of the VA panel you got? 

On 12/24/2016 at 9:31 PM, league_of_stoners said:

What's the model/brand of the VA panel you got? 

It was a curved Samsung display (Samsung S24E510C).

• 5 months later...

Will try to revive this thread, because old posters might respond. Bought an LG 23MP68VQ, and only noticed threads about the line problem after buying it, mine has it too. Has anyone ever figured out a fix? Maybe leaving it on for a long period would make them go away? If anyone replaced theirs after not getting any luck, what monitor did they get instead that doesn't have this problem, preferably IPS?

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hiya! I have the same problem, all over the screen haven't found a single person who has the same problem until now (I think). i notice it more on grey type colours like you tube dark theme or sometimes in games when I am in a dark area. I have tried many different cables, drivers, and calibrations, although I did today notice lowering the refresh rate made it a slight bit better then i could change the brightness using nvidia the windows calibrate tool to make them pretty much go. if i changed the refresh rate however they would come back until i adjusted the brightness, or so i thought, i left my computer for about a hour or so and when i came back the lines were worse than ever which now brings me back to researching. anyone found any solutions before i throw this monitor out the window.

Its a iiyama g-master G2530HSU

Cheers! 

Luke x

Edit: I found a solution which worked for me, I went to Nvidia control panel, Change resolution tab on the left hand side, Customise, Create custom resolution and went down to the timing tab and changed the drop down menu thingy from automatic to manual. when you have done that the options should become available to change. i then changed the refresh rate at the bottom from 60hz (which is what my monitor is) to 59.999. I'm not sure if this works from 144hz and make it 143.999 not sure but i haven't had a single problem since. (so far). hope it works.

• 2 months later...

I have this problem with my new LG 24MK430H-B! I replaced it with no luck, I am considering getting another replacement or throwing in the towel and spending a little more for a better monitor.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought LG 24MK600M (a successor to 23MP68VQ) in November and had severe IPS glow in all corners + vertical lines issue. After using it few weeks and seeing that the problem isn't going away and after trying everything I read online and I could think of, I sent it back for a replacement.

45 DAYS later I got a replacement with same issues, only less noticeable. This time, IPS glow  was focused only on bottom left corner and honestly isn't a big deal compered to how it was, but the vertical lines drive me fucking crazy. Although the lines are around 50% less noticeable than before, it's still an eyesore for me as I used a cheap TN panel before and had ZERO issues, and I simply notice these things easily and cant unsee it.

It's a big deal when even this blue avatar on the left looks all chopped up, let alone looking at any water surface in game or movie.

I'm convinced that the entire lineup or at least most of these cheap 60 hz overclocked to 75 IPS monitors are crap and the only reason that it even exists is because of people that don't notice the problem, or are okay with it.

It is just unacceptable that I (and people in this thread) get the same problem after replacement. That tells you a lot about what we are dealing with.

I'm gonna sell this monitor and get myself a TN panel, cause I don't want to wait another 40 days for a replacement that might have exact same issues.

I came from a cheap 75Hz TN panel 1600x900 20" BenQ monitor, and besides the darker tone and less vibrant colors, it was a BEAST of a monitor and I gave it to my brother who wont have to deal with the shit I'm dealing with now.

• 3 weeks later...

My two year old Samsung curved monitor (c34f791) suddenly started having this exact issue. I have changed cables, tested with different computer, played with different display settings. I can't seem to fix it. Added a picture to show the problem.

IMG_20190203_002430.thumb.jpg.f0705767ac0fd36009cc7877ac984c18.jpg

• 10 months later...

I know this thread is old, but anyone having same issues I want to share the way to fix it unfortunately if you are having same issues as @Fireflew it seems that changing to lower refresh rate of monitor will remove those lines. The issue I suspect is poor quality of ISP panel and company trying to squeeze few extra features like 75hz 144hz for lower price, but ISP quality is not good enough, so it's probably protection for monitor because it's factory overclock and they don't want returns or people complaining.

• 2 months later...

Yea i have this same problem with a new LG 24" IPS panel i bought in September, and try to get it for warranty work by LG, only for them to indicate it is working as expected. the only solution to not have the blue's to have the weird vertical lines/grainy blues was to reduce the refresh to 60 hz which seems to help. I have to concur that they must have used cheap IPS panels that is causing the problem as they are unable to hit the capable 75hz it said on the spec sheet. The model LG LCD monitor I have is the 24BK430H-B.

Have to say LG tech support don't know what they are doing as I had to leave the monitor to a local service center that really also don't know what they are doing either, essentially the blind leading the blind.