Which PSU? SeaSonic X650 SS-650KM3 or EVGA 650 GQ 210-GQ-0650-V1

Hello!  Kind've in an odd position where I own two 80+ Gold Rated power supplies.  Currently deciding which to stick in the secondary rig I'm selling.  The models are a EVGA 650 GQ 210( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438059) and an older Seasonic X-650 ( http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-SS650KM&c=CJ# ).   Normally I'd stick the Seasonic in because it's fully modular, but I have some concerns in doing so.   This is actually an RMA, the older one ended up frying itself and the mobo when it was in an OC'd 8150 rig (the CPU power delivery cord melted on both ends).  It seemed like the wiring couldn't hold out after a few years of use?   The replacement unit has been tested in the same system and is working swimmingly.

So kinda at a crossroads.  Is one clearly better than the other?  Was the Seasonic frying out the CPU cable a freak accident? (The lovely Seasonic RMA department also provided fresh wires to use).  Is the EVGA a safe option?

This would end up powering a 6600k /1070 build (with a later upgrade to a 1080 ti next year).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i would go for evga 

Any particular reason why?

Get the Seasonic X again. It isn't likely that your it is going to break again and it is a superior PSU.

3 hours ago, ManyFaced said:

Any particular reason why?

evga has a better reputation then seasonic 

28 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

How the fuck did you get that? EVGA uses PSUs from many OEMs (including Seasonic) and some of the OEMs are mediocre for the most part and make shit for EVGA.

4 hours ago, ManyFaced said:

This is actually an RMA, the older one ended up frying itself and the mobo when it was in an OC'd 8150 rig (the CPU power delivery cord melted on both ends).

Sounds like the motherboard shorted out and continued to draw power from the PSU until the cables burned out. If that's the case, I wouldn't blame the PSU.

If you are getting a Seasonic X KM3 replacement then get that rather than going for the EVGA GQ (while it is not bad by any means, it's an inferior unit to the KM3).

i would stick with the seasonic. they make incredibly reliable power supplies but so do evga. i have seasonic slightly higher up on my list but its personal preference as they are both really good.

3 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Mate, there's arguably no OEM/brand that tops Seasonic when it comes to consistent solid quality power supplies and there's very few that rival them (IMO only Flextronics, SuperFlower and Delta are allowed to have that privilege... there's probably a few more but I can't think of them at the moment). EVGA doesn't even make their own power supplies and they have a good amount of bad/mediocre units. Plus, buying by brand is stupid. Buy by a specific model.

@ManyFaced, keep the Seasonic. Seems to be a case of simply being unlucky. The FSP-manufactured EVGA GQ is not a bad unit by any means but the Seasonic X-Series is superior when it comes to quality.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Thank you all for the input. It seems that most agree the Seasonic X is the better PSU, and I recall from my time with it the fan was a lot better too.   I'll swap to it when I rewire this thing.

And while the last one did fry out, Seasonic was kind enough to replace my motherboard as well as the unit itself. So not something I can really hold against them.

13 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Not really. Seasonic is pretty much queen bee when it comes to PSUs. EVGA doesn't actually manufacture any of their own units so they don't have a real reputation that can be blanket-applied to all their units.

18 hours ago, ManyFaced said:

Hello!  Kind've in an odd position where I own two 80+ Gold Rated power supplies.  Currently deciding which to stick in the secondary rig I'm selling.  The models are a EVGA 650 GQ 210( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438059) and an older Seasonic X-650 ( http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-SS650KM&c=CJ# ).   Normally I'd stick the Seasonic in because it's fully modular, but I have some concerns in doing so.   This is actually an RMA, the older one ended up frying itself and the mobo when it was in an OC'd 8150 rig (the CPU power delivery cord melted on both ends).  It seemed like the wiring couldn't hold out after a few years of use?   The replacement unit has been tested in the same system and is working swimmingly.

So kinda at a crossroads.  Is one clearly better than the other?  Was the Seasonic frying out the CPU cable a freak accident? (The lovely Seasonic RMA department also provided fresh wires to use).  Is the EVGA a safe option?

This would end up powering a 6600k /1070 build (with a later upgrade to a 1080 ti next year).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The Seasonic is a much better unit than the GQ. The GQ is still quite good but the X is just really, really good.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||