Vsync is KILLING my frame rate

Sgt-PieFace

I just upgraded to an i5 6500 and GTX 960, but when ever I have vsync on, either in game, or through the nvidia control panel, my frame rate dips as low as thirty when there are particle effects or when there is some form of intense post process effect. With vsync off, everything runs fine.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Vsync syncs the output to the monitor refresh rate. So if the screen gets busy and it can't redraw the whole thing in time, you end up getting updates every other frame. Assuming it is a 60Hz monitor, that could be 30fps or even lower multiples. Vsync off ignores syncing with the refresh and will partially update continuously. If you're happy with the output, go for it. The reason people don't like vsync off is visible tearing of the image, but it is down to personal preference.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, Sgt-PieFace said:

I just upgraded to an i5 6500 and GTX 960, but when ever I have vsync on, either in game, or through the nvidia control panel, my frame rate dips as low as thirty when there are particle effects or when there is some form of intense post process effect. With vsync off, everything runs fine.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Change the NVIDIA Control Panel setting to Adaptive V-Sync. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

if you re-using your motherboard it wont hurt to reset your CMOS and reinstall all Graphics and CPU drivers. (DON'T forget to update your BIOS it does help... it helped me). ONE of the most important software that you need which makes ur life 10 times easier is GeForce Experience