Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sgt-PieFace

Need Help Troubleshooting Windows Activation

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just upgraded my CPU RAM and Motherboard, so basically I built a new PC.

Windows now says I need to activate it. I didn't link my MS account to my install of windows, so the troubleshooter won't work. Is there a way to get windows activated without putting my HDD back into my old system just to add my MS account?

13 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

OEM or retail?

OEM I think. My old PC came with win 8.1 and I upgraded when win 10 came out. I can view the product ID but I don't think that's the same thing. I don't know what the product key for win 8.1 was because I never needed it...

I know I may see stupid for not linking my account before I upgraded but it never even occurred to me that a hardware change would create these issues.

Just now, Sgt-PieFace said:

OEM I think. My old PC came with win 8.1 and I upgraded when win 10 came out. I can view the product ID but I don't think that's the same thing. I don't know what the product key for win 8.1 was because I never needed it...

I know I may see stupid for not linking my account before I upgraded but it never even occurred to me that a hardware change would create these issues.

The activation  & license of your OEM Win 8 is tied to your mother board thats why you didn't get a product key or a COA label. Now that you have a new PC you need to get Windows retail. Without a product key, which you dont have, your options are to break the law which we cannot advice on LTT, or purchase an appropriate retail license. A cheap license can be found in this video from LTT 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

12 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

The activation  & license of your OEM Win 8 is tied to your mother board thats why you didn't get a product key or a COA label. Now that you have a new PC you need to get Windows retail. Without a product key, which you dont have, your options are to break the law which we cannot advice on LTT, or purchase an appropriate retail license. A cheap license can be found in this video from LTT 

Ok thank you for the info :)