"Game developers: PlayStation 4 Will Out-Power Most PCs for Years to Come"

Dragontail

Recent debate about the new consoles coming out and the developers is starting to come around and saying that the PS4 will outperform entry level hardware of the PC market, that includes Graphic Cards around 4 GB of ram.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20130312235011_Game_Developer_PlayStation_4_Will_Out_Power_Most_PCs_for_Years_to_Come.html

Only time will tell, but I highly doubt any console will outperform todays gaming rigs, what do you guys think?

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

I'm so glad these new consoles are coming out, just another thing to push PC gaming along, it's been too long. But yeah, they won't really compete with the higher spec'd systems, we all know that.

The only reason they are able to make that claim is because they say that the PS4 will out-power most PC's, not most 'Gaming' PC's. In the article they are comparing the PS4 to Dual core computers that use low end graphics cards and integrated graphics and if you are running on that kind of hardware and are gaming on your PC, then it is time for an upgrade. The PS4 will not compete with any of the kind of Gaming PC's that are on this forum, the kind of technology in the PS4 could be beaten by gaming computers about 2/3 years ago. Although I must say, for the price of about $400, it is impossible to build such a system that will beat it today, as Sony makes a huge loss in their hardware and only start making a profit through the games and stuff a few years down the line, but the PC will not be beaten anytime soon by consoles; and when they do beat PCs, then we upgrade :D

(Though I am excited to see gaming developers take advantage of the new technologies which are now available to them)

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

First of all it's not "Game developers:", it's "Linus Blomberg:". I don't know much about the guy except that he worked on the Just Cause franchise, but I doubt he is regarded as a gaming visionary or anything close, so his personal opinion is to be taken very lightly. Second, if you consider that most PCs have integrated graphics, then yes, the PS4 will probably out-power most PCs, in fact the PS3 is probably out-performing most PCs at this very moment, it doesn't mean much though... Third, he specifically mentioned the 8GB GDDR5 as a major element that will make the PS4 a great gaming console. This is probably a good upgrade from the previous generation but again there are a few things to keep in mind. GDDR5 as it is currently used with video cards has high latency. It has high throughput but still, we don't know exactly how it's gonna be implemented and how it compares to the memory used with graphic cards... Also, it's very cheap to get 8GB+ memory in today's desktop computers so, even if you can't make the direct apple to apple comparison, an enthusiast computer with 16GB memory and 2 Radeon 7970 in Crossfire will most likely out-perform the PS4 and is available today at a "reasonable price" (let's not argue about the price point, I meant to say that an enthusiast can afford it and the hardware is available on the mass market).

Actually the PS4 seems to be a fairly low-mid-end current gaming PC.

You have to remember why they don't use DDR5 for desktop computing, it's because it has tons of micro failures all the time, data that changes and messes up as it goes, they must have put A LOT of R&D into making DDR5 work with a regular x86 processor. I think the PS4 has a huge potential and BECAUSE its a console more developers are willing to develop for it. 8 GBs of DDR5 is A LOT of RAM (there are no current GPUs with that amount of RAM) even if it is shared, the amount of RAM the GPU will have access to will be huge and the possibilities are tremendous. As long as developers are willing to go that far like Crytek did with Crysis 3.

Any ideas on how much a new PS4 is going to cost ? I am planning to sell away my ps3 for it.

NZXT Lexa S - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - AMD FX 8150 @ 4.2 Ghz - Corsair H70 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 Mhz 16 GBAsus GTX 970 4GB - Corsair CX 600 - Benq XL2420t - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - WD Live 3TB - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard - Razer Ouroboros Mouse - Steelseries QcK Sk Gaming Edition :wub: 

Any ideas on how much a new PS4 is going to cost ? I am planning to sell away my ps3 for it.

Definitely $400, but I'll only use that to play JRPG's like Final Fantasy and stuffs that are not available on PC's. But I seriously want Japanese developers to produce JRPG's for the PC's.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)