GPU installed and powered, fan spinning, but display output is through motherboard?

Okay so, i've been trying to test out a used EVGA GTX 650 for my friend, and the troubles we've had are as follows

- The GPU without the Power Input on His PC will spin the fans, and display through the Motherboard output

- The GPU with the Power Input on His PC will not allow his PC to turn on at all

- The GPU without the Power Input on My pc will spin the fans, and display through the motherboard output

- The GPU with the power input on my Pc will spin the fans, turn on my computer but still display through the motherboard DVI output

My question is -

Is it a faulty Graphics card as such? Or a problem with installing it? (It doesn't show in Device Manager)

The Fan is spinning at 100% (assuming because it's so loud) so im guessing theres something wrong with the die or the logic board. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm just curious as to why it's doing this

- Yes, he has tried using PCI 2.0, 3.0 and another PC he owns as well, no luck.

Double check your bios to make sure it sees the card if your bios has the ability to specify it's default video output. Also try reseating the card, and other pcie slots. 

On 11/11/2016 at 4:38 PM, WigglesTheHoly said:

Double check your bios to make sure it sees the card if your bios has the ability to specify it's default video output. Also try reseating the card, and other pcie slots. 

Okay, so I kept it in the PC as i went in the bios (still outputting video through the motherboard) and went to the PCI settings (the one where you can change which Gen you want it to use and what speeds etc.) and it showed up with No PCI Card Detected. I tried reseating it, changing ports, changing power connectors, changing PCs altogether but no luck.

If it doesn't work in all the PCs you have tested, probably the GPU PCIe is dead, try to clean the PCIe slot on the GPU (you should Google how to propely do that) and see if that helps.