Possible to create an Android Auto Youtube Music APP?

Remixt

So my car has Android Auto. (WOOHOO) However, I noticed that it won't allow me to use the Youtube music app when connected. It's pretty frustrating considering that I pay for youtube red in order to get ad -ree music and offline storage.

Is there a reason why they won't allow the use of the music app? I understand not being able to show videos on the car's console screen, but I thought that's why they created the music app in the first place.

Anyhow, has anyone here made an app for Android Auto before? Is it similar to just making an Android APP?

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Just now, Sydlexic Deity said:

That might be something you want to contact the developers of Android Auto about.
Because of vehicle safety, there are a few more things you need to do for an AA app or plugin than you would for a normal android app.

You can try the forum also:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-auto

Yeah, thats what I'm confused about. Other Music apps work just fine over it. I kind of thought the point of Youtube Music was to allow use in the car and while working out.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

8 hours ago, Remixt said:

Yeah, thats what I'm confused about. Other Music apps work just fine over it. I kind of thought the point of Youtube Music was to allow use in the car and while working out.

Well yes, that is the point of it, but for some reason Youtube Music / Youtube Red / Youtube aren't included in the AA apps - I'm thinking that the people to ask in order to find out would be the developers themselves (Since Android Auto is so little known at the moment and doesn't have quite as much of the open source aspect as general android apps do).

I assume it's because of the video aspect of youtube. Though you could build an app that only plays the audio.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Have you considered that you get Google Play Music included with YouTube Red for free?

Expert procrastinator.

On 11/11/2016 at 9:03 PM, Nitroblast said:

Have you considered that you get Google Play Music included with YouTube Red for free?

Yeah, but not all the music on youtube can be found on Google Play music. I listen to a lot of EDM mashups and stuff like launchpad music.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2016 at 3:22 AM, Remixt said:

Yeah, but not all the music on youtube can be found on Google Play music. I listen to a lot of EDM mashups and stuff like launchpad music.

Hmm. Guess we'll just have to wait and find out if they make one.

Expert procrastinator.