Astro a40 Vs Steelseries siberia elite

MoshMain

Astros are one of the most overpriced, shit headphones I've ever seen. Positional audio is horrible with them. I don't know about Siberia Elite but Siberia V2 is awesome.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I've owned both and I prefer the Sibera's. They're lighter, more comfortable during long gaming sessions, and the audio qaulity is decent. Plus they were quite a bit cheaper the last time I looked.

Astros are one of the most overpriced, shit headphones I've ever seen. Positional audio is horrible with them.

I have a pair of a40's and they are extremely good. Overpriced yes, shit no.

hello

if it has to be between those 2. id probably go a40 but the siberias are more comfortable for sure

I have a pair of a40's and they are extremely good. Overpriced yes, shit no.

Compared to other headphones with that price they are the worst.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Definitely go with the Siberia V2 (normal ones) for comfort. Audio quality isn't very important for gaming and the Siberia V2 does provide sufficient audio quality, however not that good. If it's just for gaming this should be your choice, if you want good audio, please look towards the thread posted in an earlier reply.

Definitely go with the Siberia V2 (normal ones) for comfort. Audio quality isn't very important for gaming and the Siberia V2 does provide sufficient audio quality, however not that good. If it's just for gaming this should be your choice, if you want good audio, please look towards the thread posted in an earlier reply.

Audio quality is always important, if that were true, I would sit here suggesting Apple EarPods for every guy that shows up asking for ''gaming'' headphones till the cows come home

Audio quality is always important, if that were true, I would sit here suggesting Apple EarPods for every guy that shows up asking for ''gaming'' headphones till the cows come home

What I mean is that supreme audio quality does not matter to many gamers, and suggesting them expensive Sennheisers or other headphones doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because they will not feel they benefit from this. While this is true of course you want better audio quality than EarPods, which is why I said "provide sufficient audio quality".

What I mean is that supreme audio quality does not matter to many gamers, and suggesting them expensive Sennheisers or other headphones doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because they will not feel they benefit from this. While this is true of course you want better audio quality than EarPods, which is why I said "provide sufficient audio quality".

Wrong.

You can pick up sennheiser headphones from $20-$1400. There's a sennheiser for every price range. Whatever "gaming" headset priced is, there's an equivalent headphone that's better in every way. There are multiple choices of microphones that are between. $10-30 that are the same if not better than most headsets.

For the price of the A40's I'd much rather get a pair of Sennheiser PC360's. 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Wrong.

You can pick up sennheiser headphones from $20-$1400. There's a sennheiser for every price range. Whatever "gaming" headset priced is, there's an equivalent headphone that's better in every way. There are multiple choices of microphones that are between. $10-30 that are the same if not better than most headsets.

While your statement is true that does not make my statement any less valid. If I was to ask any gamer I know they would much rather be running a Siberia V2 with decent audio quality and a good built in mic. It's much more convenient and comfortable to them and that is a fact. They do not care about the last bit of audio quality, they just don't. And we audiophiles can keep telling them different but that's not gonna change fact.

For the price of the A40's I'd much rather get a pair of Sennheiser PC360's. 

IF OP is in the US, yes. Prices can be crazy high in foreign markets.

While your statement is true that does not make my statement any less valid. If I was to ask any gamer I know they would much rather be running a Siberia V2 with decent audio quality and a good built in mic. It's much more convenient and comfortable to them and that is a fact. They do not care about the last bit of audio quality, they just don't. And we audiophiles can keep telling them different but that's not gonna change fact.

Just because they don't listen to our advice when making a purchasing decision doesn't mean separate headphones+mic aren't empirically better at every price point. If they hate the one extra wire (oh no, the end of the world!) then they should be getting a wireless headset anyways.

Astros are one of the most overpriced, shit headphones I've ever seen. Positional audio is horrible with them. I don't know about Siberia Elite but Siberia V2 is awesome.

You have never used Astros before have you?

IF OP is in the US, yes. Prices can be crazy high in foreign markets.

Just because they don't listen to our advice when making a purchasing decision doesn't mean separate headphones+mic aren't empirically better at every price point. If they hate the one extra wire (oh no, the end of the world!) then they should be getting a wireless headset anyways.

It's not even really one more wire, just wrap the cable around the headphone cable and it will be a slightly bigger single cable.

Have you ever listened to a pair of real headphones?

It's not even really one more wire, just wrap the cable around the headphone cable and it will be a slightly bigger single cable.

Have you ever listened to a pair of real headphones?

I have Astro a50s

And define real headphones?

This is kind of off topic, but how is the quality on those 10-15 dollar add on mics? There's nothing I hate more than a friend with a garbage microphone lol. (static/ background noise, etc...)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

I have Astro a50s

And define real headphones?

Something like HD558's. Pretty much stuff that's marketed to the audio enthusiast rather than the gamer or fashion conscious (IE Astro A40s/ Turtle Beach headphones or Beats by Dre.)

Something like HD558's. Pretty much stuff that's marketed to the audio enthusiast rather than the gamer or fashion conscious (IE Astro A40s/ Turtle Beach headphones or Beats by Dre.)

I'm not doubting that the HD558's are great headphones, but Astros were top dog for a long time for gaming headphones. 

If they were really on the same level as something like crappy Turtle Beach products or even as low as Beats, they wouldn't be a big deal in the gaming world. 

The directional audio works well and they are great for movies, music and games. 

That said, if you are an audio enthusiast who can hear pops and crackles on a super human level, by all means spend however much you want on headphones. 

I see a pair of HD558s are around $130 on amazon, but it lacks the built in microphone and it isn't wireless. I did my research before spending money on Astros and I determined that they fit my needs and the sound quality is great. 

YES I know HD558s still probably sound better. 

This is kind of off topic, but how is the quality on those 10-15 dollar add on mics? There's nothing I hate more than a friend with a garbage microphone lol. (static/ background noise, etc...)

Just as good as anything you'd get on a headset.

I recommend the Zalman clip on mic if you want...well... a clip on mic, or the blue snowflake for a desktop mic.

Modmic works too, but they're out of stock.

I did, in my opinion they can't match $100 cheaper Sennheiser HD558 in audio quality and comfort, and PC360 in positional audio. When I buy headphones I don't want gimmicks that are on every commercial "gaming" headset (Astro, Corsair, CM storm, Razer), but I get something that looks and performs pretty basic, but with quality that blows away the concurrence. That is what Sennheiser does and I trust them when it comes to audio, Linus, an audiophile guy does as well, if Astros were better then he would say so and use them.

Just as good as anything you'd get on a headset.

Well that's kinda too broad of a statement. Some headsets have good mics with noise cancellation and all that good stuff, while others are absolutely garbage. My PC360's and Razer Megalodons had great mics, but I've had a friend with Razer Kraken Pros and those had a TERRIBLE mic. I know some people that have had bad luck with Turtle Beach as well. 

I'm not doubting that the HD558's are great headphones, but Astros were top dog for a long time for gaming headphones. 

If they were really on the same level as something like crappy Turtle Beach products or even as low as Beats, they wouldn't be a big deal in the gaming world. 

The directional audio works well and they are great for movies, music and games. 

That said, if you are an audio enthusiast who can hear pops and crackles on a super human level, by all means spend however much you want on headphones. 

I see a pair of HD558s are around $130 on amazon, but it lacks the built in microphone and it isn't wireless. I did my research before spending money on Astros and I determined that they fit my needs and the sound quality is great. 

Unfortunately, gamers are notorious for not having decent tastes in audio quality (it's, more often than not, an afterthought for the average gamer). It's things like this that can get a well advertised option like the Astros to soar to popularity while something like an Audio Technica AD700X will pass under their radar. And keep in mind that it's not cracks and pops that we're talking about here. A lack of glaring issues like that is the bare minimum expectation. What really sets a good pair of headphones apart from the rest is its range and sound stage. The reason why I push stuff like this is that I can't comprehend why someone would spend the same amount (or more) on a pair of headphones that is simply inferior to another option (take for example the Astro A40's vs the Sennheiser PC360's [PC360's are essentially HD558's with a built on boom mic]). I simply try to provide the best advice I can when someone asks these kinds of questions. :P

Well, every mic is going to pick up background noise and have static. If the static isn't much quieter than your voice, you've got a problem with your environment or equipment. 

Noise cancelling mics are a neat "feature" on gaming headsets, but the dual mics they use are usually of such poor quality that it doesn't make a difference (in my experience at least).

HD 558's aren't the cheapest option, I assume @DaftBehemoth was just giving an example at a price comparable to Astros after adding a mic. Superlux makes good cheap headphones, there's a pretty good $20 monoprice headphone, and Pioneer's SE-A1000 is audiophile-grade sound for $40-$60 usually. Add any ole cheap lapel mic for $10 (and sometimes less) and you've got the best bang for your buck.

This is all US pricing, of course - sometimes I do recommend a headset if we can't find a good alternative based on an OP's needs and product availability. You were right to grab a gaming headset for wireless, but if OP doesn't want wireless, why is that a point in your argument?