Dell S2716DG vs Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

CommandoX55

Asus ROG Swift PG278Q vs Dell S2716DG  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Asus ROG Swift PG278Q vs Dell S2716DG

• Dell S2716DG
    • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

I am looking for a monitor that is 1440p, with G-Sync as well to prevent screen tearing. I am considering the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q and the Dell S2716DG. Can anyone help me differenciate these monitors and maybe give me pros and cons of each? These monitors cost almost the same in NZ, so the price difference is not a problem. Thanks!

I believe that the Dell has the higher quality TN screen... obviously not as good as an IPS panel but once you mess with the colour settings, it looks absolutely fantastic.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

44 minutes ago, CommandoX55 said:

I am looking for a monitor that is 1440p, with G-Sync as well to prevent screen tearing. I am considering the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q and the Dell S2716DG. Can anyone help me differenciate these monitors and maybe give me pros and cons of each? These monitors cost almost the same in NZ, so the price difference is not a problem. Thanks!

What GPU do you have?

If a Pascal Card u don't have to get G-Sync, you can use Fast-Sync instead, it'll save you some money

get the PG279Q. It has an IPS panel for much better color reproduction. response time these days is a relatively meaningless figure anyways

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 hours ago, CommandoX55 said:

The Asus PG278Q and Dell S2716DG both has TN panel which I wouldn't recommend unless you're on a budget, you'll regret that you got the TN panel for sure.

I would suggest going for the Asus PG279Q which has an IPS panel you'll get better viewing angles and better colors, don't worry about response time the difference between 1ms and 5ms is not worth it unless you're a hardcore/professional gamer then you might benefit from having a 1ms response time.  

15 hours ago, Ephy said:

What GPU do you have?

If a Pascal Card u don't have to get G-Sync, you can use Fast-Sync instead, it'll save you some money

I am going to get a GTX 1080. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt fast sync only work if i run my game above the refresh the monitor? G-Sync i believe works under if i run the game under the refresh rate of the monitor. Again correct me if i'm wrong, Thx.

15 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

get the PG279Q. It has an IPS panel for much better color reproduction. response time these days is a relatively meaningless figure anyways

13 hours ago, Antoon45 said:

The Asus PG278Q and Dell S2716DG both has TN panel which I wouldn't recommend unless you're on a budget, you'll regret that you got the TN panel for sure.

I would suggest going for the Asus PG279Q which has an IPS panel you'll get better viewing angles and better colors, don't worry about response time the difference between 1ms and 5ms is not worth it unless you're a hardcore/professional gamer then you might benefit from having a 1ms response time.  

Well these monitors both have a 8-bit TN panel, so they are meant to display the same amount of colours as an IPS panel without using dithering. I dont mind the poor viewing angles of a TN since I would sit directly in front of the monitor. However, do you still think the IPS panel would have noticeable colour difference to be worth it at the extra cost of about USD$150? I will be using the monitor for gaming. Thx.

7 hours ago, CommandoX55 said:

Well these monitors both have a 8-bit TN panel, so they are meant to display the same amount of colours as an IPS panel without using dithering. I dont mind the poor viewing angles of a TN since I would sit directly in front of the monitor. However, do you still think the IPS panel would have noticeable colour difference to be worth it at the extra cost of about USD$150? I will be using the monitor for gaming. Thx.

Well even if TN has equally amount of colors as IPS, IPS panel will display the colors more clear and will look better. Now a days the TN panels aren't as bad as they used to be, they still have the bad viewing angles and worse colors then IPS has. However, I definitely think that IPS is worth the extra cost unless like you said you don't mind the viewing angles which is own preference. 

7 hours ago, CommandoX55 said:

Uh no, a middle-of-the-road IPS will display better colors than even the best TN panel all day. Using the monitor for gaming doesnt matter, its just what you like. do you want better response time (a figure i find to be irrelevant) or better color reproduction (something that is much more visible to me)

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

The PG278Q is better on paper but you're still up against the odds with quality control issues pretty sure asus is still having issues with those panels.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s