VBios (Video card bios)

Go to solution Solved by iRileyx,

Just stick to updating the drivers when new updates are brought out instead.

Good day guys,

i just want to know if  

is it possible to update my MSI Radeon r9 390x 8gig gaming's VBIOS? because i never had tried to update my hardware. And technically speaking, it is the essential to the hardware too, isn't it.?

-is there any website that i could download the bios file(latest bios files for my Card)

thank you so much  

CPU: Athlon X4 880K | Motherboard: MSI A88XM GAMING | RAM: Corsair vengeance 2400mhz 8x2 16gb | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 390x gaming 8g | Case: Armageddon Microton TX1 | SSD: Crucial MX200 520 GB | PSU: EVGA 750 B2 bronse | Cooler: Cooler master V8 GTS | OS : WIN 10 64 home

None that i know of, some vendors have tools to flash the BIOS. Really, this isnt a thing you should do though. Unless you are experiencing some critical errors with your GPU that you think a BIOS flash will solve, then flashing vBIOS isnt really a good idea.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just stick to updating the drivers when new updates are brought out instead.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

What? Why?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 hours ago, ivan134 said:

What? Why?

because it is essential to the hardware. updating the firmware is also a need for the hardware right? but i'm also skeptical for that thought so i consulted you guys if whats the best..

so everyone.

thank you for the advice :)  guys. its really best i should consult to Linustechtips first. before everything go fucked up. 

it a great help..

CPU: Athlon X4 880K | Motherboard: MSI A88XM GAMING | RAM: Corsair vengeance 2400mhz 8x2 16gb | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 390x gaming 8g | Case: Armageddon Microton TX1 | SSD: Crucial MX200 520 GB | PSU: EVGA 750 B2 bronse | Cooler: Cooler master V8 GTS | OS : WIN 10 64 home

4 hours ago, Joseph (Seph) Cabayacruz said:

because it is essential to the hardware. updating the firmware is also a need for the hardware right? but i'm also skeptical for that thought so i consulted you guys if whats the best..

so everyone.

thank you for the advice :)  guys. its really best i should consult to Linustechtips first. before everything go fucked up. 

it a great help..

There an age old saying, "if it's not broken don't fix it". The odds of having any issues with the default Vbios is basically none. There is a reason why nvidia and amd don't make it easy to mess with the vbios. Think about your calculator. Odds are, you have used he same calculator for many years now (if you even use one other than your phone) and odds are, you have never touched the firmware on it. Despite this, the calculator still can calculate 1+1 or whatever without any issues. Your graphics card is essentially the same. It will work fine with the default bios and you will never experience any issues. Any potential changes to the way the GPU functions will be handled through driver updates. 

Tl;dr - it is NOT necessary for hardware to have its vbios updated. In fact, it is recommended that you don't. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown