Can my GTX 970 run smoothly two 4k monitors?

Patoot

I was just about to buy my second LG 27UD68-W, then it hit me - can my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 actually run smoothly two 4k monitors at absolutely stable 60Hz? Mostly I use it for work (some VMs, a lot of Chrome, VLC videos) and sometimes gaming (Civ 6 on one screen and Chrome on other would be desired, of course in 60Hz). I know that my card has 3 DP in it, but was it meant for smooth two 4k displays? I want to make sure before I spend this money. 

Thank you in advance for your answers!

For 4K and no gaming is fine. CIV 6 is not that demanding so should be fine on 1 monitor

Most likely not, I am surprised a 970 is enough for one 4k monitor.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

As long as it's not for gaming on both monitors it's fine.

13 minutes ago, Patoot said:

I was just about to buy my second LG 27UD68-W, then it hit me - can my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 actually run smoothly two 4k monitors at absolutely stable 60Hz? Mostly I use it for work (some VMs, a lot of Chrome, VLC videos) and sometimes gaming (Civ 6 on one screen and Chrome on other would be desired, of course in 60Hz). I know that my card has 3 DP in it, but was it meant for smooth two 4k displays? I want to make sure before I spend this money. 

Thank you in advance for your answers!

It should work fine , but if you can afford 2 4k monitors why can't you upgrade your gpu?

I've heard the 980ti has had many deals lately 

1 minute ago, potatoproduction said:

It should work fine , but if you can afford 2 4k monitors why can't you upgrade your gpu?

I've heard the 980ti has had many deals lately 

I am planning to get 1080 but waiting just for new Intel i7 to roll out to get it all at once. Right now I have i5-4670K and I am not sure if it is worth it to put such GPU in current build. Also nowadays I play mostly Civ (5 and now 6) so not so oGPu heavy, but two monitors are a must to perform my work, and I just like the sharpness and quality of this LG 4k screens. 

Doubt it,they were never designed for that. However, check out the popular video card benchmarking sites for a backup awnser

13 minutes ago, Patoot said:

I am planning to get 1080 but waiting just for new Intel i7 to roll out to get it all at once. Right now I have i5-4670K and I am not sure if it is worth it to put such GPU in current build. Also nowadays I play mostly Civ (5 and now 6) so not so oGPu heavy, but two monitors are a must to perform my work, and I just like the sharpness and quality of this LG 4k screens. 

in my opinion  Your i5 is more then enough unless your doing cpu heavy tasks like streaming ,

and since you only only play civ i think a 1080 would be over kill

@adithyay328 @Sreno1

Here is some games running at 4K maxed out. Do note he said he play game on one monitor

bf3_3840_2160.gifmetro_lastlight_3840_2160.gifbf4_3840_2160.giffarcry3_3840_2160.gif

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

@adithyay328 @Sreno1

Here is some games running at 4K maxed out. Do note he said he play game on one monitor

bf3_3840_2160.gifmetro_lastlight_3840_2160.gifbf4_3840_2160.giffarcry3_3840_2160.gif

Yeah, I know this is not for gaming, I mean for normal Windows work, heaviest load would be Civ 6 in 4k and Google Chrome on other screen.

Tinkering with video settings on 4k makes a huge difference in gaming. His 970 can perform on low to medium settings. It is far from easy going especially with a 2nd screen (even if it is only a browserin windows), but he could manage until he has dosh for 1080.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

4 minutes ago, potatoproduction said:

in my opinion  Your i5 is more then enough unless your doing cpu heavy tasks like streaming ,

and since you only only play civ i think a 1080 would be over kill

That is one of the reasons I keep changing my mind. "You do not need so much, get 1070 at best". "970 is sufficient" "1080Ti is a must" - it changes. I have hard time deciding with anything, really :/

According even to manufacturer itself one 4k is max for this card. What are people using then for triple 4k setups? 

A 1070 performance range is entry lvl imo. The increase of required GPU power go in giant steps if you go to high and above settings at 4k. Currently GTA V can't even be played at 60 fps with a Titan Xp SLI setup, while on lower settings a 780 is even good to go.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

4 minutes ago, Patoot said:

According even to manufacturer itself one 4k is max for this card. What are people using then for triple 4k setups? 

People don't run that yet... Decent atleast :)

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

@Gonio @potatoproduction @deXxterlab97 @adithyay328 @Sreno1 @Abyss Gaming

I bought this monitor anyway (with having in mind that if it does not work  as intended I will just buy 1070 or 1080 few weeks earlier) but it does work really nice on my 970! Double 4K, smooth 60Hz and all. Of course we are talking here about work apps and Internet/movie usage not gaming but that shouldn't be surprising.

Thank you all for help!

Aye that should be good to go, and yes 4k is great. In games it really depends on game and settings. Go for a 1080 if budget allows it. Just hope you have a bit decent CPU otherwise you might not get 100% of it's potential (don't let that hold you back though, since there is always a bottleneck somewhere).

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

On 11/7/2016 at 6:36 PM, Gonio said:

A 1070 performance range is entry lvl imo. The increase of required GPU power go in giant steps if you go to high and above settings at 4k. Currently GTA V can't even be played at 60 fps with a Titan Xp SLI setup, while on lower settings a 780 is even good to go.

I had to search for a second to find this because the original video I was going to link was with a 970 doing 60 FPS but it wasnt maxxed out.  But I believe that this meets the criteria of 60 FPS max settings 4K?  Single GPU MSI GTX1080

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAv2AjKF_1o

CPU-FX-4350 BLACK EDITION OC'ED @ 4.6GHZ (Highest 4.836.95GHZ Stable), MOTHERBOARD-MSI 970A-G46, GPU-NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 Reference, RAM-Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4 GIG, PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, STORAGE-Samsung 1TB, Western Digital 300GIG   

I run a 970 and I agree that this card is great and can run at 4K but it wont be the 60 FPS experience that you would want in most games (or all lol).  Upgrade man.  1070 and 1080 are nice but if not feasible the 980TI is still a great card.  Maybe GTX 970 in SLI?  With all the hype of the new cards that came out and everyone buying them up people are selling their old Nvidia cards relatively cheap.  Could probably find another 970 in the $150-$175 range.  Not necessarily a permanent fix but it would make your experience better and future proof you for maybe the next year at 4K. 

CPU-FX-4350 BLACK EDITION OC'ED @ 4.6GHZ (Highest 4.836.95GHZ Stable), MOTHERBOARD-MSI 970A-G46, GPU-NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 Reference, RAM-Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4 GIG, PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, STORAGE-Samsung 1TB, Western Digital 300GIG   

@Purp_Skurp

I had single 4K monitor for quite a while and I am completely aware that most games can't be run in 4K or even 1440p on my 970. Purpose of this topic was to determine if I can smoothly run two 4K monitors NOT IN GAMES. I have buying 1080 (or 1070) in plans for quite some time now but and it is not a budget problem - I simply find it hard to justify to buy something I won't be really using. The only games I have played in last months wouldn't benefit from faster GPU. 

@Patoot

My post was mainly aimed at the CIV game play.  But even with that said im not sure on the FPS or the tax a 4K video would put on a GPU.  Cant be as much as a game but depending on your line of work (unspecified because interwebs) you may benefit from a better GPU.   3-D rendering, animation, video editing/transcoding what have you, are all very taxing.

If your just looking at running the screens ya the 970 will do it.  With the 980TI and 1070 priced so closely to one another If you upgraded a 1070 would be sufficient. Thats based on your current workload and games that are not very taxing though.

EDIT after some research apparently even  a GTX 960 will run dual 4K monitors (non gaming purposes). 

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/30rcav/question_dual_4k_monitors_at_60hz/?st=ivdmuyg4&sh=e0a2a602

On 11/11/2016 at 11:24 AM, Purp_Skurp said:

@Patoot

My post was mainly aimed at the CIV game play.  But even with that said im not sure on the FPS or the tax a 4K video would put on a GPU.  Cant be as much as a game but depending on your line of work (unspecified because interwebs) you may benefit from a better GPU.   3-D rendering, animation, video editing/transcoding what have you, are all very taxing.

If your just looking at running the screens ya the 970 will do it.  With the 980TI and 1070 priced so closely to one another If you upgraded a 1070 would be sufficient. Thats based on your current workload and games that are not very taxing though.

EDIT after some research apparently even  a GTX 960 will run dual 4K monitors (non gaming purposes). 

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/30rcav/question_dual_4k_monitors_at_60hz/?st=ivdmuyg4&sh=e0a2a602

I will probably get Gigabyte G1 1070 very soon (still thinking about 1080). My work is not GPU hungry (most important is RAM for my VMs).